1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Raiders trade CB Buchanon to Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by King of 40 Acres, Apr 19, 2005.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

A playmaker of a CB, and at only 24, we have our corners set for the next 10 years in Dunta and Buchanon. On top of that, he's one of the best punt returners in the NFL.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Great trade.

We are set at CB for the next 8 years.

A future secondary of Robinson, Buchanon, Earl, and Faggins could be among the best in the game.

With our first pick, we are going LB or WR, IMO. I wouldnt mind getting a DL though.

3. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

2nd and 3rd is fine with me. We still have our #1 and the 3rd from the Henson Trade (It's the earlier 3rd too I think).

The best thing that comes out of this trade is we got a stud corner. He's only 24, was a 1st round pick and we don't have to wonder if he's gonna be a bust or a good player. Pair him up with Dunta and we got prolly the best young corner duos in the nfl.

And this even clears up what we're gonna do with our 1st. I would love it if we could nab DJ but i definitely think that at 13 one of Merrimen, Ware, Clayton, Williamson will be there to take.

To put it simply, we went with a sure thing. I would rather have this than to take a chance on Pac Man Jones or Carlos Rogers. (Rolle on the other hand, i'd take even with Buchanon).

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

AWESOME TRADE!!!

We're basically giving up a proven starter for a second round pick since we still have a third from the Hensen trade. Also, he's making BELOW $700,000 the next two years.

This is a steal! I LOVE IT! :D

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Fox Sports Net just confiermed it as well its the 2nd and 3rd round picks

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I have a feeling Merriman will be gone by 13, but Ware is a good possibility.

I was just watch FSSW and someone from the Texans was saying that we might be looking at some receivers or a pass rusher, also said that talks of picking up an offensive lineman is fading.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Great trade, Buchanon is a solid NFL corner and we'll give us one of the best combos for years to come. I'm just trying to figure out where he is going to play? Split time with Glenn I assume? I just don't know how well Buchanon is going to take to that role.....I'm sure he wants to be a starter and full time player.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Also, FSSW reported that the Redskins were offering the #9 pick and another pick for Buchannon. Not sure why that didn't work out but it shows what this kid is worth.

Our love our secondary now. Glenn is getting old, so having Robinson and Buchannon as our future is great.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That was Marc Vandermeer, from sports radio 610. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.....although thinking we are going to take a pass rusher or receiver is probably a safe bet.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

It will be interesting if Cadillac Williams falls too.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rolle was arrested before the season for felony battery of a law enforcement officer and misdemeanor disorderly conduct and resisting an officer without violence.

Given the stated position of the Texans regarding off field issues, I believe that he might have been passed on at 13 even if Buchanon was not in the picture.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

WOW!!!!!!!! :eek: Not only is he one of the best young corners in the game he is also one of the best punt returners in the game. Dunta on one side and Phillip on the other. I can't wait for the season to start.

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Great move - depending on whose available at 13, I would like to trade down to the lower part of the first round and pick up some extra picks.

14. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i wouldn't go as far as calling him one of the best young corners in the game, he's been wildly inconsistent his whole career. his problem is that he has no discipline, but i think the texans coaching staff can drill it into him. with some discipline, patrick buchanan could be a top notch corner, he has the physical tools to be really good. i think it is a good trade for both sides, the raiders wanted to get rid of him and the texans needed a corner to take over for glenn in the near future, and pb could be that guy. the trade is risky, in that pb may never learn the discipline needed to be a good to great cb, but the upside is really high.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think that for the second year in a row, Casserly looks at his roster and determines that the Texans are overall a very very young team. Bringing a lot of draft picks into the fold only worsens the situation. I like what he is doing here, by only bringing in quality young guys like Dunta, Babin, Glen Earl (who was coming off an injury, otherwise would have been a higher pick), and now this year's first round selection.

I'm hoping we get either Mike Williams or Marcus Spears. I still think that center, tight end and inside linebacker are our weakest positions on the field, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of talent out there in this year's draft at those positions. I don't think Derrick Johnson would fit in a 3-4 scheme.

16. RocketFan007

Pat Buchanon?!?:eek:

Isn't he way too old to be playing football?:D

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

It was an ok move, not great.

He's been inconsistent otherwise the Raiders wouldnt have given up on him so easily - especially the Raiders who are always willing to take baggage if they feel the talent is there.

A 2nd and 3rd is about what you pay to get a low 1 so it's not a steal.

It's not like he was a Top 5 pick.

18. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

DJ would fit quite nicely on the weakside ILB position.

THe 13th pick will be either DJ, Merriman, Cedric B ( who is falling on some draft boards), or one of the top 3 WRs still available.

19. RocketFan007

You need to add Demarcus Ware to that list.

20. JamesC

JamesC Member

I like this move. I was talking with a friend about the upcoming season and I was dissapointed at the moves and lack of moves the team has made so far this offseason.