1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Raiders trade CB Buchanon to Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by King of 40 Acres, Apr 19, 2005.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i kinda thought the same thing. since when have the Raiders had a humble, good guy reputation?

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You guys are crazy, the Raiders are all about signing quiet, low-key guys who just go out and get the job done, like Warren Sapp and Sebastian Janikowski.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is awesome...I know they had to of had a good long discussion to erase any concerns of attitude, etc...

Now we need the pass russher and a LT...

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Does anyone know which 3rd Round pick we're suppose to give up? The one from Dallas or our original 3rd rounder?

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm pretty sure it's the pick from Dallas.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was thinking the same thing when I typed that. :)

Randy Moss is a proven NFL superstar who has established himself among the best players in the game, Phillip Buchanon has been the Raiders starting corner the past 2 years basically by default by beating out training camp fodder and somehow elevated himself to Deion Sanders status. Plus by acquiring him we've now maxed out our Punk Quota.

You guys keep saying he is a proven starter, but he needs a lot of work and I don't think you should start him this season as long as Glenn still has a few starts left in him. I'll gladly trade one cocky. flashy but unproven punk to have 4 picks between 38-78 in the draft.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

What 4 mid-level picks? We only gave up a 2nd and a 3rd, which is probably the equivalent of a very late 1st rounder. I would say Buchannon is certainly more valuable than any player we can pick up with such a pick. Of course, he is 2 years closer to free agency than any draft picks, which is the downside. Overall, I think it's a good trade, especially if we want to win this year without sacrificing the future too much.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The Raiders suck, moe. ;)

Seriously though, you can't argue with this trade as a Texans fan. 2nd/3rd round picks by no means equal out to a proven player in the league, especially with the talent of a guy like Buchanon. The Raiders will be lucky if one of those picks turns out to be a long time starter.

I'm not worried about his attitude. I'm pretty sure its a given that when you sign a contract with the Raiders they put in it that you have to be "cocky" and "overly-confident". Buchanon was just trying to keep up with Charles Woodson.

;)

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Your 2nd + 3rd plus our own 2nd + 3rd = 4 picks.

Honestly I think this trade is beneficial for both teams, we certainly wouldn't be resigning Buchanon to a big deal when his rookie contract was up. A young team like the Texans have the time to develop him, while the Raiders have always been a reload rather than rebuild type team, so I wouldn't be surprised if we packaged a couple of these picks to move up and get a impact player on Defense.

DHR - All I'm going to say to you is that If a 2nd and 3rd rounder is worth Phillip Buchanon why won't Carl give up just a 2nd to get Patrick ****in Surtain? :) Talking about proven players.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah 2nd and 3rd rounders amount to ****.
    (All these players I'm listing are at least starters)

2000 2nd round picks
    Darren Howard
    Jerry Porter
    Todd Wade

2000 3rd round picks
    Laveranues Coles
    Darrell Jackson
    Reuben Droughns

2001 2nd round picks
    Drew Brees
    Alge Crumpler
    Chad Johnson
    Kendrell Bell
    Kris Jenkins
    Fred Smoot
    LaMont Jordan
    Chris Chambers
    Travis Henry
    Shaun Rogers

2001 3rd round picks

Steve Smith
    Kevan Barlow
    Jonas Jennings
    Derrick Burgess

2002 2nd round picks

Jabar Gaffney
    DeShaun Foster
    Toniu Fonoti
    Andre' Davis
    Reche Caldwell
    Clinton Portis
    Antwaan Randle El
    Antonio Bryant
    Deion Branch

2002 3rd round picks
    Ben Leber
    Josh McCown
    Lamar Gordon
    Akin Ayodele
    Brian Westbrook
    Marques Anderson

2003 2nd round picks

Boss Bailey
    RaShean Mathis
    Bethel Johnson
    Anquan Boldin
    Mike Doss
    Tyrone Calido
    LJ Smith

2003 3rd round picks
    Jason Witten
    Nate Burleson
    Ricky Manning jr
    Chris Simms

2004 2nd round picks
    Ben Troupe
    Tatum Bell
    Julius Jones
    Michael Boulware
    Keary Colbert

This is all pointless really because I'm sure we'll be packaging most of those picks to move up.

11. MadMax

moe -- UNLESS I'M READING IT WRONG....from what you just posted, the most you can expect is that 10 out of the 32 players taken in a draft will be starters. so again..you'd be lucky if one of those picks turned into a starter. less than a 30% chance. unless, as you say, you package those picks to move up.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I posted recent draft history, a lot of the 2002 and up guys are still waiting to replace starters, and I failed to list offensive line and others who are probably starting, just mostly recognizable players. Believe me, 2nd round and 3rd round picks are held in very high regard, and teams who are looking to add depth would kill to have 4 picks in that range.

13. MadMax

i understand they are. but if you're in the Texans shoes, you make that trade everyday, if you perceive a need there. here's a guy who's already started games for the Raiders and has that experience...and you're giving up the POSSIBILITY that you might be in that roughly 30% who two years after the fact actually have the guy you pick starting for you. seems like a no-brainer from the Texans' perspective, given the relative youth of Buchanon and his track record so far.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'd do the trade if I was the Texans as well, I'm not saying the Texans aren't getting an incredible talent, because they are. Buchanon isn't a better CORNERBACK than Aaron Glenn is though at this point in his career. That being said he played like **** for us last season and was very disgruntled with the organization. It is my understanding that after last season he made his intentions to leave well known to the higher ups, and subsequently burned his bridges. A trade was simply an inevitablilty. It's unfortunate, because we know the potential he has, but I am at the very least glad we got something of value in return for him

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

False.

For example, 2001 Round 2. Highlighted are those who are still in the league (most are starters including many Pro Bowl Caliber players)-

32.San Diego Drew Brees QB Purdue
    33 Cleveland Quincy Morgan WR Kansas State
    34 Arizona Kyle Vanden Bosch DE Nebraska
    35 Atlanta Alge Crumpler TE North Carolina
    36 Cincinnati Chad Johnson WR Oregon State
    37 Indianapolis Idrees Bashir FS Memphis
    38 Chicago Anthony Thomas RB Michigan
    39 Pittsburgh Kendrell Bell ILB Georgia
    40 Seattle Ken Lucas CB Mississippi
    41 Green Bay Robert Ferguson WR Texas A&M
    42 St. Louis Tommy Polley OLB Florida State
    43 Jacksonville Maurice Williams T Michigan
    44 Carolina Kris Jenkins DT Maryland
    45 Washington Fred Smoot CB Mississippi State
    46 Buffalo Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian
    47 San Francisco Jamie Winborn ILB Vanderbilt
    48 New England Matt Light T Purdue
    49 N.Y. Jets LaMont Jordan RB Maryland
    50 Detroit Dominic Raiola C Nebraska
    51 Denver Paul Toviessi DE Marshall
    52 Miami Chris Chambers WR Wisconsin
    53 Dallas Quincy Carter QB Georgia
    54 Arizona Michael Stone SS Memphis
    55 Philadelphia Quinton Caver OLB Arkansas
    56 Dallas Tony Dixon SS Alabama

57 Minnesota Willie Howard DE Stanford
    58 Buffalo Travis Henry RB Tennessee
    59 Oakland Marques Tuiasosopo QB Washington
    60 Tennessee Andre Dyson CB Utah
    61 Detroit Shaun Rogers DT Texas
    62 Baltimore Gary Baxter CB Baylor

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

From what you said it sounds like the Texans overpaid, unless there was a 'quiet' b idding among several teams for a trade for him.

Sounds like a 3rd and 4th, or 2nd and 5th would have been good picks under Raiders' situation with Buchannon.

17. MadMax

i hear ya. i said earlier, he shouldn't displace Glenn ths season. he simply wasn't as good last season as Glenn was. no argument there.

18. MadMax

RIET -- i have no concept how many of those guys are actual NFL starters. I thought that's what Moe was posting.

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Last year, the majority of them played in at least 14 games or more, many of whom are starters.

To say there were about 10 starters at most is wrong.

30% of players on that list have Pro Bowl talent (some have made it - others won't because of the quality of players that are entrenched at their positions for years). That's not bad.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no problem with slightly "overpaying" .You see a player with Pro bowl talent,at a need position(esp. cornerback),that is 24....and available.I do like CC giving up a 2 and the Henson pick though for PB.

#80 Plowman, Apr 20, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2005