1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Raiders trade CB Buchanon to Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by King of 40 Acres, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Even after all those guys moe and RIET (2001 was obviously a big draft year) posted, the Raiders would still be lucky for one of those picks to be full time starters. In what moe posted, I'd estimate that a little more than half of 2nd/3rd rounders those years are now key players.

And I'm not going to look it up, but what about 2nd/3rd rounders from '96 to 2000? How many 2nd/3rd rounders are still in the league starting after 6+ years? I'm not going to say that Buchanon is guaranteed to be good for at least 6 more years, but there is a solid chance.

The Texans know what they are getting in this trade. When you get a chance to get young, proven talent you take it (even with potential attitude problems, which I trust Casserly on this). Casserly has done an A+ job with this team up to this offseason...the Sharper thing is the only thing anyone has ever questioned. I trust that he knows what he's doing here.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ok..frankly i have no concept of it. just going off the list provided by moe.

3. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

He better start.

If he doesn't, and he doesn't return punts, then this trade is ballz.

I mean 2nd & 3rd rounders are often starters on teams with as many holes as the Texans, and if Buchanon is benched for the Aaron Glenn retirement tour then this will have been pointless.

4. MadMax

he won't.

again..at this point, he's not better than either Glenn or Dunta. and he certainly isn't going to take plays away from the development of Dunta, at the very least. if one gets hurt, he's your man. he'll come in on nickel packages...he'll return punts, probably.

5. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Yeah - that's my fear. I mean we could use those to draft picks at this stage, and leaving this guy on the bench - when he only has a couple of years left on contract, and obviously was too much trouble for the Raidrs of all teams...

6. MadMax

that's what concerns me the most. you trade for the guy. he doesn't start. he gets disgruntled. he doesn't re-sign here. he's gone. and you've spent 2 draft picks on a guy who never started for you and bolted after 2 seasons.

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The list Moe gave was the cream of the crop.

Realistically, between a 2 and a 3, you probably have about a 60% chance of landing at least 1 starter and about a 30% chance that one will be a probowl caliber.

That's similiar to what a late 1st round pick would equate to except if you're really good (or lucky), you can pick up 2 starters or use the picks to move up.

I don't think it's a bad deal because he does have a lot of talent (when he was picked, many thought he'd go higher).

However, my concern (similiar to yours) is if he's not an immediate starter, then why spend 2 high picks on him - especially if he has baggage.

The Raiders tolerate baggage and they didn't tolerate him.

He has starter ability, even pro bowl ability. However, it's not a given he'll be either.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Texans gave up too much, but considering ho wpoorly they've drafted in rounds 2 and 3 in their history, then relative to their drafting ability, they didn't. Buchanon alone is probably better than all of the Texans Round 2/3 picks historically combined, with the exception of Gaffney.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If Gaffney is the best second round pick in the Texans' history, we're in trouble. If he was that good, we wouldn't be talking about still needing a quality #2 receiver. The Texans have drafted well in the first round, and in the late rounds, so it's weird that the 2nd and 3rd would give them so much trouble.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The only 2 outstanding picks have been Andre Johnson and Dunta (Dominack Davis has been good but not a long term solution)

Gafney is ok. Pitts is ok. Carr is ok.

The jury is still out on Wand, Babbin, Peek, Hollings, Joppru.

We're talking about a lot of "IF"s.

Considering how many draft choices we had and the cap room flexibility, Casserly has been very mediocre. Not good. Not bad. Just average.

And not surprisingly, that's how the Texans willl probably fare this year - average.

Casserly's rep as a GM Genius is way exagerrated.

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Anybody think maybe Glenn is trade bait now?

That would take care of the "why trade 2 picks for a guy that's going to sit on the bench and then split" concern.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Actually, I think they kept the pick we sent them and traded their own second round pick, which was higher.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nope, it was the Texans 2nd. 47th overall I believe.

Just like I said, we wanted to move up and after the Redkins wouldn't give up their 1st for Buchanon and our 2nd, we went elsewhere

Another good trade for both teams here, Jolley is excess here since we have two young stud TEs in Teyo Johnson and Courtney Anderson. The Jets get the TE they need and we move up into the 1st round.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wow, John Clayton is now supposedly reporting that The Skins and Raiders are working on a deal that may include

Charles Woodson
    The Redskins 9th overall pick
    Lavar Arrington
    Either the Raiders 1st (Via NY) 2nd or 3rd pick

The madness continues, keep takin those vitamins Al. :eek:

16. Rockets34Legend

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Call me crazy, but I don't really like it. I don't know anything about Buchanon, so I'm not against it because of his game. We all know Dunta will be great for us, and Glenn has been great. True, he's past his prime, but I still see him as being a good CB. The backups at CB have been solid.

It makes more sense to me for the Texans to work on right now what they need the most which is OL, DL, LB, and maybe WR. It seems to me they'd be better served trading or drafting for a CB when Glenn really starts to slip. Oh well, least Buchanon is good; he better resign.

#97 rockets-#1, Apr 21, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  18. Rockets34Legend

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3145953

Buchanon may end up a Texans cornerstone
    Competition figures to be fierce among newcomer, Robinson, Glenn

By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

A relentless willingness to compete is among the characteristics that have allowed Aaron Glenn to enjoy a long and successful NFL career despite being undersized for his position. That quality will be put to the test as Glenn and fellow cornerback Dunta Robinson try to hold on to their starting jobs following the Texans' acquisition of Phillip Buchanon.

The trade that sent a second- and a third-round pick to the Oakland Raiders for Buchanon should be official today, pending league approval and the third-year cornerback's passing a physical.

After that, let the competition begin. Texans coach Dom Capers isn't sure who his starting cornerbacks will be, and considering the Texans played at least three corners about 45 percent of the time last season, perhaps playing time won't be a major issue. Regardless, Capers is certain the Texans never have been stocked better at the position.

Because Robinson was the Texans' most productive cornerback last season, it would seem Buchanon would have a better chance of bumping Glenn from the starting lineup. But it's worth noting Buchanon struggled with consistency last year in Oakland and lost his starting job in the final two games.

"Aaron is at a different stage of his career than Phillip," Capers said. "You're talking about a (24)-year-old player compared to a (32)-year-old player. Obviously, we've added a lot more competition to the situation. I think you have to let them play themselves out on the field and see how it all works out. We'll get into it and let the competition take place and make the decisions from what we see on the practice fields."

Attempts to reach Glenn were unsuccessful, but Capers said he met with the three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Wednesday morning.

"Aaron's reaction was positive," Capers said. "Aaron is a competitor, and he has a lot of confidence in his ability. We had a good meeting. Like with everything, Aaron looks forward to the challenge."

Buchanon, who arrived in Houston for his physical on Wednesday afternoon, is as excited about getting to play with Glenn as he is about competing for a starting job and getting a fresh start with a new team.

"My whole view is to come in and learn as much as I can learn from Aaron and to do everything I can to help," Buchanon said. "There was another team involved (Washington), but I'm glad it worked out here. Everything happened so quickly. I'm really hyped about it."

Texans general manager Charley Casserly finalized the deal Tuesday night. As far as Casserly was concerned, parting with a pair of first-day draft picks in exchange for the 17th player selected in the 2002 draft was a no-brainer.

"Can you acquire a player as good as Phillip Buchanon in the second round of the draft?" Casserly said. "The answer is no. Now you're giving up a third-round pick. Your percentage of players drafted in the third round becoming starters is 30 percent or less. You're weighing that when you make this decision. When we finish the draft, we know we got a starter in the second round ... we know we got the best player drafted in the second round this year."

Buchanon has a reputation for being brash and outspoken, and he reportedly fell out of favor with the Raiders organization last season. Capers said he got positive feedback in his background research on Buchanon and intends to give the player a clean slate.

"I see myself fitting in like any other player," Buchanon said. "Some things went on (in Oakland) that I wasn't very happy with. It was mainly with some of the players. Some of them weren't ready to play."

Also on Wednesday, the Texans signed defensive tackle Daleroy Stewart, who spent the first three years of his career with Dallas and last season in San Francisco.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why not try buchanon at safety? It seems he and Coleman would be an excellent safety combo. Buchanon seems like he would be a great safety...

20. Rockets34Legend

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-buchanan&prov=ap&type=lgns

Texans welcome "Showtime'' to town

By JOEL ANDERSON, AP Sports Writer
    April 21, 2005

HOUSTON (AP) -- "Showtime'' flopped in Oakland, and the Texans hope Phillip Buchanon's act will go over better in Houston.

The Texans acquired the disgruntled cornerback on Thursday in exchange for second- and third-round picks in Saturday's NFL draft. Buchanon passed his physical Wednesday, and the NFL approved the trade Thursday.

The Raiders packaged the second-round pick from Houston (47th overall) with tight end Doug Jolley to get the 26th overall selection from the New York Jets in another trade Thursday.

``When you look at where we were picking in the second round, we felt Phillip was clearly better than any player there,'' Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. ``We acquired an experienced player ... there's not a learning curve involved here.''

The Raiders had recently been looking to trade Buchanon, nicknamed ``Showtime'' by former NFL star Deion Sanders. The team talked to the Washington Redskins about the outspoken Buchanon, who went off about the organization just four days before Oakland ended another disappointing season with a home loss to Jacksonville.

``I mean there is a lot of stuff that goes on here, and it ain't right,'' he said at the time. ``I am not feeling too good here. I am not happy with the organization. Things ain't good right now. I know that.''

Buchanon said he spoke with Raiders personnel chief Michael Lombardi late in the season to express his desire to go elsewhere. He was briefly benched last season for poor play, but he also had plenty of impressive moments that showcased his playmaking ability.

Buchanon said little about his time in Oakland and talked mostly of reviving his career with the Texans.

``I don't regret anything,'' said Buchanon, the Raiders' first-round pick in 2002. ``I met a lot of good people out there, and it was a learning experience. That's all I have to say about that.''

Buchanon, who will turn 25 in September, has 11 career interceptions, including four returned for touchdowns, in 36 games. He has averaged 11 yards per punt return with three TDs in three NFL seasons. Last season, Buchanon had 50 tackles and three interceptions, one for a TD, in 14 games.

Buchanon also made his share of mistakes. Against Kansas City last November, the Raiders trailed 24-21 with just under four minutes left when Buchanon returned a punt to Kansas City's 26. Instead of running back to the bench, he sprinted through the end zone, took off his helmet and yelled at fans.

The resulting 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty pushed Oakland back to the 41, and the Raiders settled for a field goal. Kansas City marched down the field for a field goal of its own and won 27-24.

The addition of Buchanon gives the Texans impressive depth at cornerback, including returning starters Aaron Glenn and Dunta Robinson, the 10th overall pick in 2004. Glenn is a three-time Pro Bowler, and Robinson finished second in voting for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

``It gives us another young corner,'' Texans coach Dom Capers said. ``He's been a productive starter in the NFL. He came in as a very young player and not only has excellent athletic ability, but also is an excellent punt returner in this league.''

Buchanon has already made attempts to ease any concerns about his ability to fit in with a team mostly devoid of brash personalities.

He went to a Houston Rockets game on Wednesday night with Robinson and receiver Andre Johnson, a close friend from their college days at Miami. He talked excitedly about playing on a team with 100 percent participation in its offseason conditioning program.

He even deferred to the 32-year-old Glenn when asked about possible training camp competition for a starting job.

``You can't judge a book by its cover,'' Buchanon said. ``I feel I can adjust to anything.''