1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best post-workout protein?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Nov 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was eating protein bars after workouts for a long time and just started protein powder about a month or so ago. I just bought a Muscle Milk brand then because it was on sale but I'd like to buy something that is known to be better or high quality (and if there's a good deal on it, great).

I'm finding it hard on Google to cut through promos and find top reviews. Anyone have any good experiences with a specific type of protein powder? Thanks!

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've always like Syntha 6 Isolate.

Gives me an energy boost before and afterwork outs. Serves as a great meal replacement. And tastes great.

1 person likes this.
  3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

#3 Falcons Talon, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Optimum Nutrition 100% whey is the best choice IMO. But if you are talking about the best period it's Met-Rx, its a lot more expensive though.

1 person likes this.
  5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Chocolate whole milk is a great post recovery alternative if you don't want to use powder. It equally packs carbs, protein and most importantly it's cheaper.

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

This is really clearing it up.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

syntha-6 tastes really good. i used to keep 5-7 different flavors some years back. then the doctor put a stop to my regular shakes when blood lab results indicated this stuff was causing fatty liver.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The ingredient list is vauge but it indicates whey concentrate, the cheapest protein, as the main source of protein.
    Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk], Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin, And Glutamine Peptides

I think http://proteinfactory.com/ offers much more high quality protein and they explain exactly how much of each type are in their pre blended products.

9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Clutch, in my experience muscle milk was the worst protein powder I've ever tried. I would recommend ON pro complex. Amazon usually has cheap protein

1 person likes this.
  10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why not just eat some CHICKEN or some FISH after working out? Alaska Pollock for phosphorous!

Must it be some sort of "product" some manufacturer made and is expensive?

Buy some REAL protein. :p

11. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Nutrilite's Whey is probably by far the best that's out in the market. Taste's great, mixes extremely well, and is a great overall value.

1) only 150 calories with 1g fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 6g of sugar, 9g of carbs, 26g of protein.

2) Contains sufficient amounts of the BCAAs for recovery and muscle building, and it is not necessary to purchase separate recovery products to mix with this protein. Most protein products do not contain sufficient amounts of BCAAs and most end up purchasing an additional recovery powder to mix into their protein.

3) contains antioxidants (Red Orange Complex), something thats not common in most protein. Antioxidants are extremely important, especially when you're working out to protect your body's Oxidation Process and to eliminate the free radiacals (causes damage to your DNA or Cell Membrane) that build up in your body.

Link: Nutrilite Whey Protein

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This.

13. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll second Optimum Nutrition whey. I use it after lifting, it doesn't taste bad (at least he chocolate malt) and I've seen some nice results.

15. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

If clutch was not OP a joke would have already been made. The brown nose is strong on clutchfans.

1 person likes this.
  16. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Not sure what kind of joke you could make... :confused:

17. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

What would be the joke? And i've got more infractions than anyone in this thread and cant even rep anymore lol yea strong "brown nosing"

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Clutch :eek:,

[​IMG]

You didn't read post #10, Teen Wolf?!?! :confused:

19. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

This is better than your first attempt.

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

If you are trying to help sore muscles recover then a good protein powder is the way to go...... You want protein that your muscles will absorb quickly, not all protein is the same. Hydrolyzed protein is the cleanest and fastest protein you can take. ON makes some really good hydrolyzed whey protein but it is pricey. I highly recommend it.

Here is what it looks like and you can find it at The Vitamin Shoppe....

[​IMG]

In the future thou, take a post workout shake. It will help you recover much faster and with better results. I take secret sauce, its specifically designed for your muscles to recover faster with less soreness. I know a thing or two about soreness since I crossfit....
    This is what secret sauce looks like... Also available at The vitamin Shoppe locally..

[​IMG]

2 people like this.