1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best post-workout protein?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Nov 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I just wanted to re-visit this to say again to say again I appreciate everyone's advice -- I finished my first tub of the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and recently ordered my second (Double Chocolate).

I've been using it more as essentially meal replacement shakes because of the calories ... couple frozen bananas, scoop of protein, almond milk and a small spoonful of natural peanut butter. I was doing it post-workout, but now have been preparing it before workouts, drinking some of it before and most after.

I've been happy with the results -- definitely have seen some improvements over the last couple months. Hard to say how much of it is that alone -- I do Crossfit 5 times a week and outside of the meal replacement shake, my other meals have been more paleo zone-esque -- but I've been pleased. I may try something else after this next go-around.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Clutch, I am curious, if you don't mind, what made you get into working out? Have you been doing it for a long time? I always think I should start doing it, but it's hard when you are always traveling.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good to hear that you made some gains.

I tried some 5 hour energy yesterday, boy I was killing my home gym. wanting to try the homemade hyphy mud drink. Never been a preworkout caffeine guy.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Try adding some instant coffee to that.

5. SirLK26

SirLK26 Member

A pure whey protein isn't optimal. Especially if you work out in the evening, you need to find a protein supplement with both whey and casein. Casein digests at a much slower pace(7ish hours compared to 2ish), so it's feeding your repairing muscles longer. If you work out earlier in the day, 100% whey supplements are probably okay since you'll likely be taking in plenty of protein via meals over the course of the day.

I use Jym's Pro Jym, and definitely recommend it.

Anyway, I agree with the previous poster who said how you work out is more important than the type of supplement you're taking.

I'm not trying to bull***** Clutch or anyone else reading this, so if something here is wrong, please post. :grin:

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I finish my workout around 6.30PM and ave pure whey protein post workout.

And then right before bed I get my casein fix through cottage cheese.

7. SirLK26

SirLK26 Member

That works if you can stomach the stuff. :eek:

I started working out around year ago(I'm fairly young) and I would usually hit the weights around 10:30 at night(sometimes as late as 1 in the morning) then take a scoop of Gold Standard's 100% whey(with milk, but still) and 30 minutes later be sleeping with no other protein intake. Of course, that was when I didn't even have a workout plan. Just go hit the weights for a while and do whatever the ***** I felt like. :grin:

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I always have my bake chicken on deck. Bake chicken, potatoes and broc after a workout plus my protein.

Made the hyphy mud drinK yesterday.Taste 6/10 and 8/10 effectiveness

9. AB423

AB423 Member

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

I get the french vanilla creme flavor.. best tasting protein I've ever tasted and easy to stomach.

10. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

walmart protein>>>

jokes aside check out PhysiquesofGreatness on youtube. they have the answer to anything you can think of

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Humapro. These are protein tablets that contain almost 0 calories, no sugar, no carbs. This would very good for someone whos not looking to get the extra 200+ calories from protein shake. Ideal serving is 5 tablets=25 grams of protein. Also very affordable. 450 pill count for 55 bucks on dat amazo

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

A single gram of protein is 4 calories no matter how you slice it. If it's zero calorie protein then it's not protein.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sorry i didnt read the stats. Im too busy making GAINZZZZZZ!

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

501% greater lean mass gain than whey
    250% greater fat loss
    300% more efficient than fish, beef, steak
    vegan friendly
    no gi discomfort.

.004 calories breh. Step ya game up. *drops mic*

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Do protein powders really work? (question probably asked and answered somewhere in the 4 pages preceding but too lazy)

My friend works out regularly, and goes through canisters and canisters of the stuff, but I never really seen an improvement.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's just protein. A mechanic can have the greatest tools and shop in the world, but if he doesn't know what he's doing, he's not fixing anything.

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

if hes trying to bulk up then calories are as important as protein. (if not more)

protein powders are for getting lean/cut. most only have 100-150 calories per serving where if you are trying to add mass you need 5x the calories post work out. IMO.

18. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I recommend the Dymatize Iso 100 in chocolate. Tastes amazing. Great scoop to grams of protein ratio. BCAAs. Reasonably priced.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Trying to Bulk and lean at the same time. It's awfsome.

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

went to GNC earlier for some multi vitamins and omega3. sales rep recommended Omega Cuts, which i ended up getting as i was taking omega 3/6/9 and CLA already, but separately. anyone tried it before?