1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

But XSF needs "time to develop", right?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Keep the hope alive....I'll remain in the real world.

3. Remii

Remii Member

But but, Fitzpatrick is ranked in the top 10 in YPA.... Lolzzzzzzzz....!!!!!!

Anyway, before the season started I said Fitzpatrick would be on the bench by week 5 or 6... I was wrong, they stuck with him longer than I expected maybe because the record isn't bad and because he was ranked in the top 10 in YPA :grin: Maybe O'Brien feels Mallet can spark the team. They're only 2 games behind Indy and the offense has been pathetic. Good quarterback play can make up for some holes on the team.

Mallet is not a rookie. He was with O'Brien in New England and that's who O'Brien wanted... We started hearing the rumors when O'Brien was 1st hired. If he could have got Mallet earlier in the year he may would have been the starter from the get go. Mallet got here before the season started so the time that has past has probably been like his pre-season. So it was only a matter of time.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

HAHAHAHA!!!! He's an average NFL QB!!!! I live in the real world!! Texans fans are horrible!! I am banned from BRB because they are stupid heads!! I will tell you what everything is or will be!!! Russell Wilson is not good!!! Andrew Luck is not elite!!! Guards drafted early are not expected to start!!!!

We could write a book about this troll.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Well i wouldnt say that, he is right where he belongs as a backup. Injuries happen.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If Mallett fails, I highly doubt that will happen. They're not going to roll with a rookie and Savage at 1 & 2 on the depth chart. They're going to have some kind of vet. And just like last year, there aren't going to be any "good" options. Might as well keep Fitz to be that veteran presence, especially since he'll have a year in the offense under his belt. Even if you have the rookie start from day one, I'd rather have Fitz as the backup/mentor than a 4th round sophomore who's never played a down of NFL football.

I don't think Savage will ever do anything, but he was a 4th round pick who didn't play much college football. He's not going to be ready. His future is as a backup. That doesn't mean you cut him after his rookie season. Draft a QB to be your starter. Let him start. Fitz is backup, Savage 3rd string. Year after that, Fitz's contract expires and Savage assumes the backup role to our (hopefully) franchise QB if he's ready for that.

7. Remii

Remii Member

C'Mon man...!!!! They didn't draft Savage with a throw away pick and they're not going to cut him after one year... And he may just end up being the backup to Mallet.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hehe, i struck a nerve. :eek::eek:

we'll see where this lands you. #HistoryRepeatsItself

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

If Savage can't beat out noodle armed Fitzpatrick next year, the Texans should cut him because he's wasting a roster spot. I don't see the Texans keeping Fitzpatrick because they can save 3.5 million by cutting him and sign an identical average backup qb for 1-1.5 million. Regardless what they do, the Texans are a rudderless ship, and until they commit to a young QB... this is what we'll have.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, I just wish you were a better poster. Anyway I think I've given you plenty of opportunity to have some sort of value on here and you've failed over and over again so I think I'll just block you and move on. Have fun misrepresenting my positions out of ignorance or in some attempt to make your positions look less ridiculous but I don't feel the need to see your nonsense anymore.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

:(:(:(:(:(

farewell, sweet prince.

:(:(:(:(:(

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That doesn't address anything in the post I was talking about.

Its just more of the same, "because I said so" rhetoric that runs rampant around a lot of these threads.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i only know of one poster who acts in this manner. we all have our moments, but only 1 is truly consistent. i think i'll go to the place where he is no longer allowed for my texans info. battleregblog terminated him like the pest that he is.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not really "because I said so" when it's something obvious. If I were to tell you that 1 + 1 = 2, would that be the case "because I said so" or would you just realize that it's obvious? Even if you have never seen Mallett play (the only way you wouldn't know that he's a statue in the pocket), Duane Brown already said as much earlier

There's nothing groundbreaking here when talking about Mallett in the pocket, everyone knows he's a statue.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I know we are not going off of some youtube clips or pre season stat sheet. Lol Show me some real live regular season clip.

Give this man a chance to prove himself.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I understand your position, and I understand Brown said they need to play better (what else should he have said?), but you still have not addressed my point in that some of the o line woes could possibly be on Fitzpatrick, and that a quarterback change could improve them. It's a decent point that nobody around here is considering. They're just saying Mallett is dead in the water.

I've seen him play. He's got the ability to climb the pocket, and the system experience. This could help ease the line's woes a bit. Mobility isn't everything. Especially when you're in a system built for a pocket passer.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't think that several preseason games could show you something about his game? I mean, maybe not everything, but don't you think you could see his accuracy (or lack thereof) and mobility (or lack thereof) seeing him play several games even if they don't count?

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

There were better options tho. Say what you want about mark Sanchez and michael Vick, but at least they're proven and have had success which is something fitz has never had.

Besides, as a fan I never had any confidence in Fitzpatrick and I'm willing to bet that his didn't either.

With Sanchez or Vick, there at least would've been a sense of hope.

sanchez had a pretty good game last week. Vick on the other hand, looks bad but I mostly blame that on that awful Jets team. He's got nothing to work with.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'm sure some would blame Fitz for the O line simply not blocking, but there's not much of a case for it. When guys keep going through the line unblocked and pressuring the QB within 2 seconds of the snap, that's on the O line. That's of course not to say that Fitz didn't screw up some plays where he got some protection and led to a sack but for the most part the O line's pass blocking has been very poor.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry, but who are these fans who would have had hope if the Texans would have gone with butt fumble or dog killer?