1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I agree the line has been bad. Fitz has also.

Neither one of us knows how he's been on his reads and audibles, though. I think he's got to take some of the blame, though. Not all.

I realize its hard to tell how much. I'm just saying it's not necessarily game over for Mallett. There are infinite circumstances that can change any or all of those plays for Mallett. His reads at the line are a big part.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That doesn't mean he is a statue at all. It's just mean he isn't as mobile as Fitzpatrick. They also know they have to pass protect better period. They have been horrible to below average.

But guess what, we are all about to find out exactly what Mallett is all about.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair. Personally I hope he does well, I'm just not expecting it. On a related note, maybe the QB change will make Andre show up and try to help the Texans rather than just going through the motions and picking up a check. That alone would make the move worth it.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also worth noting, they are picking a perfect time to switch QB's due to having the bye plus having the Browns, Bengals, Titans, and Jags coming up as the next 4.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The games I've seen he did good in. He showed some elusiveness, got the ball out quick, and even ran in for a touchdown. Yes he have some areas that need improving. But I am going to take the coaches word over anybody on here. Hoodie said Mallett has improved and Bill O'Brien stated, he has improved over the last two months.

And how many times have we seen some qbs played not so good in the preseason but light it up in the regular season.

Again let the man prove himself before dooming him a failure.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It is rarely a good time to bench an average QB having a career year.

Unless, you know, he really isn't.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OeWOzg06AKx/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

But, but Pancakes said Mallett is crap, doesnt that count for something?

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Career wise, Sanchez has been worse than Fitzpatrick. He's never completed 60% of his passes. He's never averaged over 7 ypa. And for all the concern over Fitz's TD/INT ratio, Sanchez actually does have more career INTs than TDs. You tell me that 7 months ago you would've rather had Sanchez and I'll call you a filthy liar. This place would've been even more critical that it already was had we decided to roll with Sanchez. Seriously? You would've felt better going into the season with a guy who struggles to complete 55% of his passes and throws more picks than TDs?

Vick doesn't fit the offense. Period. We all know that OB wants a pocket QB. That's not Vick.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I think Fitzpatrick holds on to the ball for too long at times as well. If Mallet can get rid of the ball faster his lack of mobility may not matter.

11. Summer Song Giver

What a terrible post Nimo. Like probably the worst ever on this site considering the context which you posted it.

12. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not willing to bet Fitzpatrick could have made that throw. That looks like a big time throw to me and he ain't big time. Nose dive to the dirt (he's ranked in the top 10 of quarterbacks who try to hit their receivers in the shin), or slow floater that has "interception" written all over it, or it sails out of bounds. Just because that receiver was open doesn't mean Fitzpatrick could have completed that pass... Which is part of the reason why he's a backup caliber QB.

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'm not saying Sanchez is a great qb but I would've much rather preferred him over Fitzpatrick.

Yes, his last 2-3 years in New York were awful, but his first two seasons were good.

He had a great defense, good running game, and some solid receivers. He wasnt asked to do too much, just be a game manager, which led to two AFC Championships.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if you're really trying to win then that would be the case, but I don't think that's where the Texans are at anymore. Right now they just want to see what they have and give the backup some burn.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol whats the point of this? out of all the passes hes thrown this year, this is the one somebody wants to pick out? even if he was able to get that pass off, not sure he would have enough strength on it to get to the receiver before the defender recovers.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm not buying the whole we only brought mallett in here because we needed a decent back up who knows the offense in case fitz went down. I really think BOB and godsey wanted mallett from the start.

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

1) Bad decision making despite a clean pocket
    2) Inability to go through his progressions - which explains why the TE's have no production.
    3) Tunnel vision.
    4) The plays are there.
    5) Real nice play design by BOB

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

It's not only about his inability to make the throw, but more so about his inability to go through his progressions. He does this all the time. Hence, as you & I both say, he's an average back up.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Says who?

Don't read my signature.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am excited about Mallet starting. He has never really had a chance in the NFL. I am really glad for him, he has waited a long time and worked hard. This is not Keenum Part II. Mallet is a pro style QB. He is big and strong. Throws hard and long with accuracy. He is not a read and react QB like RGIII and isn't nearly as fragile. Wouldn't it be something if he exceeds everyones expectations. And if he flops, not the end of the world. This is Houston pro football; the end of the world came and went long ago.