1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Makes no sense, where was this team going with Fitz? Nowhere! But a few on here would rather stick by a known going nowhere than an unknown who may or may not be the answer but at least you're trying. The staying pat because at least we arent last crowd just kills me.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Actually Mallet has had a chance. Not as much as Fitzpatrick as, but a chance all the same. No one was impressed with him so much that he got outplayed by a rookie and got traded for 6th/7th round pick. Nothing Fitzpatrick did makes me put my hope in him but the same can be said for Mallet.

I look forward to "it's his first start, give him a break", "he's learning the offense", "he's getting better by each game", "if he had a better offensive line...", "give him a year and he'll be great" excuses. But I hope I'm wrong.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm really not a believer in Mallett, but it was the move that had to be made. At this point this team is building for the future and Fitzpatrick is a known scrub.

There is at least a chance Mallett may be good.

4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

No, BOB may mess up and win too many games!

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe it's because this team has bigger holes at other positions than at QB. I hope he plays well so the team can draft for other needs next year.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL Ok

We have a lot of negative Texans fans.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

But But But .. they see him in practice . . so they see him day to day a
    They are professionals. . .
    they know more than some geek on the internet!!!
    *grin*

Yea well . . i think everyone knew that Fitzie was not even the placeholder for The One

Rocket River

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

No doubt there are other issues but decent qb play may cover for some deficiencies and help motivate an otherwise lack luster team. Gotta have hope, where as before there was none.

9. Major

Major Member

So a team should only address it's biggest hole and ignore all the others? :confused:

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, none of us have seen much of him. But the people who did see him on a regular basis are the Pats beat reporters who saw him in practice every week. Reportedly, they were disappointed with Mallett, who never looked at that good and never improved.

What we have been able to see of him, though limited, is his preseason play. And it hasn't been that good.

2011: 36-63; 57%; 357 yds; 5.7 ypa; 1 TD; 1 INT
    2012: 33-67; 49%; 300 yds; 4.5 ypa; 3 TD; 1 INT
    2013: 42-76; 55%; 447 yds; 5.9 ypa; 3 TD; 1 INT
    2014: 14-26; 54%; 161 yds; 6.1 ypa; 1 TD; 0 INT

And that's against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I know Mallett has an arm and people envision him throwing bombs to Andre, but his YPA is ridiculously low. And even if you make it "yards per completion", it's still not that great. It's less than what Fitz averages per completion. So I wouldn't expect him to come in and be throwing it deeper than what Fitz has. Of course, it's long been reported that he has accuracy issues, even here in Houston. And you can see that his preseason completion percentage has been underwhelming. Maybe it is that he does throw deeper more often. He just can't complete them.

I think that any optimism around him is based on 1) pre-NFL scouting reports and 2) that he's not Fitzpatrick. While not a lot to go on, there's nothing he's done in the last 3 1/2 years to give any reason to believe he'll be successful. At least guys like Aaron Rodgers who sat, writers could see the improvement from camp to camp and fans could see improvement from preseason to preseason. There's been none of that with Mallett. There's a reason why nobody was willing to pay NE's initial 2nd round price tag and why NE had to relent to accepting a conditional 7th instead. If anybody really had high expectations for him, he would have commanded more than that. Now, that doesn't mean he can't surprise everybody, but it does give you some indication of what the league front offices think about him.

I don't have a problem with playing Mallett so you can go ahead and evaluate him in live game situations. I just don't think there's much reason to think he'll do well. I wanted to see Case play last year, but he sucked too.

#130 Cannonball, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Has nothing to do with negativity. Look at the post I was responding to. You can't say fans that prefer Fitzpatrick don't deserve a winning team. All Mallet has over Fitz is "potential". I hope it works out with Mallet; I hope it leads the team to the playoffs. But I understand if some FANS think the team didn't get better with this move.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Did you just stop reading after my first sentence???

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

uhhh Derek Newton?

he definitely has the "size & strength" to play in a power based scheme.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well I had hope the other positions would get better. Fitz has done just about what I expected from him. I didn't like the signing earlier in the year; but if the team is disappointed in him they must have only watched his St Louis tapes. However, I did expect more from other players.

15. Major

Major Member

Your 2nd sentence had nothing to do with your earlier claim or what I was responding to.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lmao, I like the statement "all Mallett has over Fitz is potential".

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who cares about stats and facts; you're just being a hater. ;)

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Actually it does. I said I hope Mallet works out so they can fill the bigger holes in the draft. How can you read that and think I said the team should only fill the biggest hole?

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I liked watching Fitz run. Mallet will be crushed with this garbage line. Will make the games more interesting, I was ready to tune out until next year with Clowney not playing.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

fitzpatrick's two biggest problems are:

1) arm strength
    2) inability to go through progressions

we already know Mallett has a nice arm, but can he go through his reads while side stepping pass rushers? that remains to be seen.