1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

So if you have a lot of hope that he is so much better than Fitzpatrick, what is it based on? Isn't it the same thing?

We can only go with what we have. He has his chance. Hope he plays better than expecting. If not, there's always next year lol

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

At this point Mallett is merely a lottery ticket waiting to be scratched. Most likely the winnings will be slim or non-existent but there's a chance that the pay off could be big. Regardless, the risk is minimal so why not be hopeful?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a pretty solid way of looking at it. Lottery tickets almost never pay out but there's always a chance they will. Personally I never get too worked up when I buy a lottery ticket because I know the odds, but I guess I can understand if others do.

4. Summer Song Giver

Mallet could end up being the worst QB ever to start 7 games in NFL history and this would still be the right move.

5. theimpossibles1

You know, the way I see it Mallet is like a scratch off lottery card©. It may not pay off but you might as well scratch itTM

6. msn

msn Member

Predict the Texans' record for the next year we make it through the regular season without changing starting QB. *sigh*

7. Raven

Raven Member

The Texans need to know if he's worth keeping, and how much he's worth if they decide they want him back. That requires playtime, so the writing was on the wall the day they traded for him.

And if the Texans lose their next game, or their next couple of games, I hope they just lose em all and finish 4-12, because franchise QBs aren't falling out of the top of the draft. Well, it happens, but it's so rare as to not be worth discussing. And even if the Texans trade for a veteran QB, there are so many holes to fill, and a top ten pick will give them trade options that a middle round pick won't.

8. Remii

Remii Member

I'm going to give Fitzcraptrick the benefit of the doubt because I see no reason for him to go through progressions when he knows he can't make that throw...Lol...

But watch that clip again DieHard... He threw the ball to the right guy, he just threw it too late. The receiver was open when he broke to the inside and he could have zipped the ball in there. That receiver was on a timing route and Fitzpatrick's time was off. That's what I mean by he holds on to the ball too long. Those other receivers were just running routes to clear out the middle of the field because none of them were open and Fitzpatrick doesn't have the arm talent to have completed that pass to Johnson.

That dude is just hot garbage.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

O'B says Mallett is the starter for rest of season. Mallett says hes ready to drive, he also says he wears his emotions on his sleeve and is passionate about the game. Will be nice to see a qb with a little fire.

10. conquistador#11

From Nada to Prada? a list of back up qbs who eventually got their shot in their mid 20s,

Mark Brunnell age 25
    Aaron Rodgers age 25
    Trent Green age 28
    Kurt Warner age 28
    Tony Romo age 26
    Matt schaub age 26

I'm trying to be positive here, something to look forward to. obviously, i'm not going to list the 1,000 failures in that same scenario because it would not benefit my agenda to provide hope =)

but you never know, eventually something has to go right for our franchise at some point.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Potential, plus he doesn't have a 10 year resume of losing like Fitzpatrick.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes sir Hot garbage, dumpster juice, rotten deer meat, spoiled milk, crabs that have been left out for a week. LOL

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You’re conveniently absolving Fitzpatrick of any blame. It starts at the line of scrimmage: was Fitzpatrick properly diagnosing the defense? Were the proper protection schemes being called? When a situation screamed run, did he pass too often (and vice-versa)? Mallett will be given the opportunity to run the offense in a manner that best suites his strengths and it might look radically different (and, by extension, be potentially better).

Fitzpatrick held the ball too long; displayed impatience in the pocket (he was a nifty runner – but sometimes, a step to the left is all that’s needed to extend the play and make a throw) and when he did throw, routinely displayed a glaringly obvious inability to throw the ball much beyond 10 yards (or with any consistent accuracy). As we saw with Schaub last year, when your QB loses/or never has nerve, teams can put extra men in the box and suffocate your passing game.

In fact, that alone is going to redefine this offense because the one thing you hear about Mallett universally is that he throws a terrific, accurate deep ball (while struggling with the shorter stuff). If he can make plays down field… it’s going to make the OL better.

Fitzpatrick was ultimately just a limited, predictable QB. He played well for seven weeks (well enough for them to win some games) but he was totally incapable of forcing a defense’s hand. Mallett may ultimately be unable as well – but to assume he can’t at this point seems wildly premature.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Mallett wasn’t handing off to Arian Foster or throwing to guys even half as good as Johnson and Hopkins. Sure, you don’t want tour QB to be 100% dependent on his supporting cast; you’d like to see flashes – but I think it’s a little unfair to not at least acknowledge the context. New England’s starting playmakers are average; I can’t imagine how bad their 2s and 3s were/are.

1 person likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why then did your beloved team sign a QB with a 10 year resume of losing?

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That's the million dollar question right there. Bad move on the Texans part

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I expect to see some long bombs to DeAndre in stride next game. No more running back to the ball.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hope Mallett does well. Seems odd it took this long for Mallett to earn start considering Fitz has basically played within a reasonable range of expectation this season.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I believe that it has been a combination of the two. Fitz has been really bad at making his reads and having issues with accuracy while the OL has sucked a** at pass blocking. Fitz has been a consistently average QB who cannot make plays with his arm. but everyone knew this going into the season so all of this Fitz "hate" is unwarranted.

In truth, all of this newfound support for Mallett is based on hope more than anything else. While Mallett has the size & superior arm, he, also, suffers from issues with accuracy. The reality is that there isn't much more than sporadic evidence on what Mallett can do in a live game. Just because he sat behind Brady for three years means nothing because the Pats really don't invest much in the backup QB position. It will be interesting to see what BoB is forced to do next IF Mallett flames out the way Case Keenum did last year.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed it for you :grin:

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Having hope that he's better than Fitz is different from having the belief that he's better.

You don't have to base hope on anything but hope.