1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How have Royce's words and actions affected you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 14, 2012.

?

How have Royce's words and actions affected you?

1. I have a mental illness and it's now easier to talk about it and get help.

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. I have a mental illness and it's now more difficult to talk about it and get help.

9 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. I have a mental illness and he's had no effect on me.

28 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. I don't have a mental illness, but I now have a more positive view and a better understanding.

17 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. I don't have a mental illness, but now i have a more negative view and a lesser understanding.

75 vote(s)
    32.5%
  6. I don't have a mental illness and he's had no effect on me.

96 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. torocan

torocan Member

How about option 7?

7) I don't have a mental illness, and I now have a more positive view and a better understanding of these conditions due to extensive media coverage, but every time White Twitters it makes me feel like the world is wasting precious internet bandwidth that could be used on more societally useful things like Dwarf p*rn and Honey Boo Boo you tube videos.

#RoyceWhiteisawasteofbandwidth

1 person likes this.
  2. just a word

just a word Member

or an option 8?

8) Clawed my way back from depression+anxiety and the way White is immaturely and unhealthily reacting in this situation is making me frustrated that he's only showing someone with the worst of this disorder. He makes me cringe every time he tweets.

3. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Royce White has force me to read this nonsensical thread.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why do you think it's nonsensical?

Royce claims he's helping people, with and without a mental illness, to better understand mental illnesses and not be afraid to stand up for them. This is one way to gauge what kind of effect he's really having on others.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

For now, it seems like Royce White really does need help and is fragile; I don't think the Rockets are ready to truly provide all the help he needs. Perhaps it doesn't make the most economical sense to devote a whole lot of resources to a player they're not sure can be a franchise player. Right now he's a D-League asset to them. If this was Kobe Bryant or Lebron James with this issue; the team would do whatever it takes to help him.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Have to admit Bill... even though I would have taken the same approach the Rockets took when the bus dilemma happened, and still would probably do the same thing today, you were correct that it would lead to more extreme behavior.

I have to ask since I believe you claimed to be involved with treating Army vets or something along the lines of mental health.... what do you see the next step of his actions turning into? Especially now that the team is planning on continually disciplining him financially.

Do you think this step is the right direction from a mental health treament standpoint(forget a company PR standpoint)? What would a doctor recommend as a next step?

7. cstrike2

cstrike2 Member

I actually do have a few disorders, including depression and a social anxiety disorder (SAD) and i have been incredibly disappointed in how Royce has done so far. He really gave me alot of hope, since he came out right after I was diagnosed, and he had a real oppurtunity to make a difference and be a real role model for youths like myself. Unfortunately, I really think he wasted his chance here so far and I myself have really gotten sick of him, it seems to me he has used his illnesses as a crutch instead of using it as his motivation.

He really took WAY too much heat about taking buses to the games, I really didn't feel like it was that big of deal as a fan and I thought it was exceptional for the Rockets organization as a sufferer of anxiety. I even gave him the benefit of the doubt when he missed the beginning of training camp, but him skipping practices and games are unacceptable. That's just wasting your oppurtunity to be a pro athlete and role model for youths that grew up like you did

8. mirus

mirus Member

^^Bill ,what is your exact words at the bus incident at that time?

9. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

when i had a mental illness, people just laughed at me and i jammed matchbox 20.

royce white, u ****ing dirty low lottery diva

i can ball like Lebron with the ball in my hands 80% of the time like in my high school, but I can't fly except its to accept Rookie of the week or mvp..like Lebron.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Because of what he's been saying, I now have a mental illness.

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

He has to own his anxiety, not cave to its every demands and stipulations.

Royce White is a slave to his own anxiety, and instead of working hard to overcome it he's b****ing about it on twitter.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Almost 20 % of Clutchfans have a mental illness? :eek:

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

just read the GARM on game days and you'll wonder why its not higher :grin:

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

:confused:

He has said over and over again that his mental health is priority. He is not in denial and says he is working to get better. You can say you don't believe him but he's doing everything you accuse him of not doing.

15. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm a psychologist and professor who works at place called the National Center for PTSD in a VA hospital.

I think White had his chance and blew it. He had a choice to face his fears and pursue a career in the NBA or to not face his fears and blow his opportunity. He chose the latter. What will happen next is really up to White. I think at this point his career as a Rocket is over sooner or later. So I think his only chance is to be out of the NBA, work on his issues, and then convince some GM that he is rehabilitated. He has a lot of work to do to get to that point and he is not at all motivated to really change, so his prognosis is poor at this point.

White could have looked at his situation in a different way. He could have told himself that this would be an opportunity for him to overcome his fear of flying by being forced to fly over and over again. Really, that is the perfect prescription for overcoming that phobia- the best treatment possible. He had a lot of incentive to do it but he chose the path of avoidance.

I looked up the Dr. that the Rockets wanted White to see and I frankly don't think he was the right referral either. He needs to meet with someone who does exposure therapy for anxiety disorders. That is really the only way he will get better. I was attacked here for saying that meds aren't the solution for White, but it is obvious that White needs to directly face whatever is causing his anxiety or he will never recover.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

especially on game days after a loss

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I partially agree. My wife works with Mental Health of America and I was hoping the Rockets would partmer with some organizations (like MHA) and health institutions to make sure what they were doing for him was what was best for him. His condition needed more than providing alternative transportation to away games. I don't think they were really committed to what it takes to help Royce. Now Royce has some blame as well but he's ill and showing his illness.

18. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I dont see a problem with Royce wanting to be in a healthy environment.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_tUmfkTwU1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I realize that this is the purpose of this website but I'd rather talk about the guys that are ready to play and ready to work for this team. I sympathize with Royce White, I just don't understand what any of this has to do with being a better basketball player. If his psyche is so delicate that he can't even practice and travel with the team unless he has the full support and attention of the organization he's never going to make it as a professional athlete.

20. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Ditto. Royce just seems lazy/weak.