1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets pursuing Marc Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 11, 2011.

?

Do you think signing Marc Gasol to 4-years, $55M is a good deal for the Rockets?

1. Yes

583 vote(s)
    93.0%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Stop with the ignorant posts: there is no offer sheet as of yet!!

2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I want Gasol as much as anyone else. But if I'm a GM trying to minimize the damage from losing Gasol, I'm on the phone with Phoenix trying to get a viable center like Gortat. Memphis went to the WCF last season. They're pretty damn good. They couldn't replace Gasol, but Gortat sounds better than Jordan Hill.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gortat>>>Gasol

In my opinion...

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If we are 7.8 million below the cap, and thabeet is 5.2 million, that's 13 million we could off. If we really wanted offer the max, we could trade Twill or Johnny Flynn with cash considerations to a team with cap space.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've wanted Gortat since early 2009.

That said, I disagree. Gasol is much more skilled and has more upside.

From a cost perspective, I can maybe see your argument (and you should clarify as such). But keep in mind: whatever advantage we gain in pursuing the "cheaper" player will likely be offset by whatever trade assets we have to forfeit to convince Phoenix to pull the trigger.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

LOL. If I didn't already have a funny sig.

7. nolimitnp

The Max? Really? Wow I don't think he's THAT good.

And yeah Gortat really is a bargain. He's making just over $6 million this year and his numbers are similar to Gasol's. But he only plays 25 minutes a game.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Marcin Gortat last year...
    80 Games with a 17.8 PER.
    27 Years Old
    6 Million a year
    Marc Gasol last year...
    81 Games with a 16.8 PER.
    26 Years Old
    12 Million a year

I don't see what is so funny about that. The stats back up what my eyes see.
    Eagerly looking forward to your next post.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Also, Chuck Hayes makes a bigger impact on games than Luis Scola.
    :)
    I love your sig, and I find it extremely funny that you find it funny.

10. nolimitnp

Look at the statistics first. Gortat's per was actually better than Gasol's. And Gortat is only a year older.

Maybe Memphis really will let him go...we'd still be taking a huge risk. He's not that great of a rebounder.

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

via twitter:

@PetePranica Pete Pranica
    To be clear, no offer sheet officially submitted to Marc Gasol. So reports that Grizz "have matched" are premature b/c there's no offer.

@PetePranica That said I believe Chris Wallace and Mr. Heisley will do what's needed to keep Marc in Memphis.

PetePranica Pete Pranica
    I also take issue w/one online report wondering why there "wasn't a more bang-bang response" from Grizz. Heisley has stated intention

12. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

@PetePranica
    I also take issue w/one online report wondering why there "wasn't a more bang-bang response" from Grizz. Heisley has stated intention

@PetePranica
    ... to keep Marc with the Grizzlies. I believe he will and I believe Marc wants to be in Memphis with Z-Bo and the gang.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

You point to stats like it's the end all be all when it comes to talent and skill. I guess Kevin Martin is the conversation with Kobe and Wade? I guess Martin is underpaid?

Gasol's stats are low because of his role on the team. He's the 3rd option behind Gay and Zeke while Gortat was the focus of the offense working with A HOF PG named Steve Nash.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

@PetePranica
    There are a lot of good NBA reporters out there, but some info in blogosphere is not well-sourced or researched & aims to sensationalize.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Memphis would be so devestated If we stole Gasol AND Lowry...

It would be beautiful... :grin:

16. nolimitnp

Gortat played 5 less minutes per game and still managed to grab more rebounds. 3rd option or not, the $6 million difference in pay is the key number here.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Are you sure about that? Could it be because Gasol is prone to laziness about halfway through the season? Maybe that he is prone to start the season out of shape? No one denies that he was extremely solid in the playoffs last season, battling Perky.

Hell, look at Gortat's PER36's with the Magic, where he shared the court with Dwight Howard for stretches. The guy has averaged 11.6 REB and 2 BPG PER 36 for his ENTIRE career... Doesn't seem like such a ridiculous comparison to me. Every statistical measurement you can find of Gortat's 4000 minutes supports that. He is also much more mobile defending the pick and roll. I mean hell, the guy throws down between the legs dunks like its nothing, and he is freaking ripped.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

By that logic you would take Scola over Gasol because he makes half as much and his stats are slightly lower.

19. thino

thino Contributing Member

whats the progress on this...

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

If you don't mind, I would like to see my Marcin Gortat>Marc Gasol on your signature as well...