1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets pursuing Marc Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 11, 2011.

?

Do you think signing Marc Gasol to 4-years, $55M is a good deal for the Rockets?

1. Yes

583 vote(s)
    93.0%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I hope we get him. I like his potential. Together with Luis and with Thabeet...watching on the sidelines...not bad DM.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

... and they'd be traing him within the most difficult division in the NBA to another team that need a C.

I think Gasol is a good player. I think proportionally, this MAX contract doesn't overpay him more than other big men are overpaid.

Gasol has shown in one of his three seasons that he can be a good rebounder, he's always been a good scorer, he can block 2 shots per 40 minutes, and his assist/turnover ratio has improved in each of his 3 seasons significantly.

My personal view is that most raw C's can't achieve an assist/TO ratio above 1 when they are young and still developing, and when they do it's usually a good indicator of them starting to understand the role of a post player.

The reason I think it's a good deal is because I see room for improvement. The guy has never been in optimal physical condition, though he has improved over the last couple of years. I'm sure we can work to improve that.

Also, I don't know what kind of big man coaching he's had, but I'm sure McHale will be able to give him some pointers on offense and defense to improve his game.

Here's hoping that Memphis actually agree to trade him for a package involving Martin.

3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

There's a 7 foot 3 elephant in the room his full name is hasheem amnesty thabust

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

People are already counting that whenever they discuss the Rockets salary cap situation.

5. vick

vick Member

If they had enough to give Gasol the maximum contract, they could have given the max. to Nene.:eek:

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If we could get Marc Gasol and sign Nene...that would be nice. Better than trading for Pau Gasol and signing Nene imo.

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I think Morey has sold Marc Gasol on the idea of playing alongside Nene through back channels.

I think if Morey has convinced him enough, maybe Marc asks the Grizzlies not to match and request a S&T?

That way the Grizzlies get back something of value. Maybe Patterson/Morris and a combo of either Scola or Martin?

8. valorita

valorita Member

The only hope of getting Marc is if we have Pau.
    If not, then there is 0% chance that he will not get re-signed by Grizz.
    End of discussion.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Whether or not the Rockets have Pau Gasol has ZERO impact on their chances of getting Marc Gasol.

10. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

looks like the Grizz will match the offer.

11. sergio

sergio Member

When I log on in the morning I want to see a thread that says we got him for sure. Ok, is that clear? good night ;)

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

morey doing memphis a favor and saving them some money

13. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

We Got Him For Sure! Yay I'm An ******* I Know;)

14. valorita

valorita Member

Tell me, then o wise one, why Marc would sign here?

15. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Marc has stated that he doesn't want to play with his brother.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

come on, he's only averaging a very reasonable 75 posts per day right now.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

This is a strange move imo

You rarely to never see a RFA get a max deal from a different team. It virtually means you wont get the guy for a few years. It hurts the FA in that he doesnt get the max from his original team. If anything offer a 1 year max and then go for him when he is a true free agent

If we got Pau different story but it looks like we did the grizz a favor

18. valorita

valorita Member

"Pau Gasol confirmed his interest to join Barcelona’s hoops team should the 2011-’12 NBA season get flushed down the drain, citing that his brother Marc would likely do the same. "
    "If they cancel the season we would like to play here (in Barcelona)"

They seem to get along when they play for Spain together. They play different positions and complement each other very well. Pau is in his prime while Marc is trying to establish himself as one of the best centers.

anyways, this point is moot though because it seems like we aren't getting Pau.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I believe offer sheets for RFAs must be at least two years in length, unless that changed under the new CBA

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We have a track record of doing them a favor. :)