1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey - Words vs Actions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 24, 2010.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

Lol. My opine was unsolicited, yet not unappreciated.

Back on topic, who do you specifically place as untouchable (unless, of course, I get to date Adrianna Lima, you win the powerball, the Stros become respectable, and LeBron decides he wants to play for the Rockets)?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think anyone is untouchable per se, it depends upon the deal.

DD

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How about Brooks + Budinger for Bosh? Lowry starts (Boston is proving you don't need a great shooter at PG), and we keep the Knick's picks for the future. We keep our core but don't sacrifice our future. Draft Eric Bledsoe to backup Lowry.

Lowry, Bledsoe (draft)
    Martin, Taylor
    Ariza, Battier
    Bosh, Scola, Hill
    Yao, Chuck

4. Raven

Raven Member

DaDakota has worn me down. Stand pat. Let your young guys develop. Resign Luis. Wait to see how Yao holds up. Re-evaluate everything at the end of next season. Make no major move unless it's a sweetheart deal.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets didn't win with a healthy Brooks.

6. DaDakota

Good lord...no.....that makes us very week at the PG spot......

I would give up Lowry and Trevor though.....

Common sense prevails....

;)

And honestly Yao's situation makes it this way.....unless they trade Yao for Bosh......

:grin:

DD

7. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Had Amare agreed to sign an extension, then he would be in a rockets uniform right now, not Kevin Martin. Kevin Martin wasn't his plan all along, more of a backup plan.

8. DaDakota

And you know this, how?

DD

9. Mr. Clutch

Yao's situation should make us more aggressive.

Two scenarios:

A) Yao comes back healthy. He is getting closer to 30 and won't be playing 40 minutes a night. He will need help in the post.

B) Yao isn't healthy. We were a 42 win team just looking into the playoffs. Someone like Bosh makes us a 50 win team and a contendor (a lot more than staying pat).

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Actually the deal for Amare was to send Scola and Battier to the Suns along with a NYKnicks pick. That deal wouldn't have interfered with Martin's deal at all

Yao
    Amare
    Ariza
    Martin
    Brooks

11. Mr. Clutch

I would trade Brooks and Budinger and the Knicks picks for John Wall.

12. DaDakota

Yao's CONTRACT is holding us up, do the Rockets resign him, do they need to move on.....

That is what I am talking about after this year, if they need to rebuild having $18 million coming off the books helps speed that process, along with others.

I doubt they have too many contracts beyond this year....and could see Lowry and Scola signing one year tenders too.

DD

13. Mr. Clutch

Some random guy named Kevin Martin is under contract beyond this year. But he's not a big piece of the puzzle.

14. DaDakota

He is but his contract is not a max one....neither is Trevors....look at how many expiring deals the Rockets have...it is fairly obvious what is going on.

Battier
    Jeffries
    Hayes
    Yao

Options on others:

Brooks
    Lowry
    Scola

They could all be expiring next year...if Morey wants them too....maybe I am missing a couple more......as well.

DD

15. verse

Understood.

If it costs us Bud and say, Hill, plus fill, it's a no brainer in my book. Same for a Scola + fill deal. If it costs us Yao, I'm sending a English/Mandarin bilingual thank you note.

The only thing I'm NOT willing to do is part with the combination of Brooks, Martin, picks. That guts us.

16. DaDakota

We are probably not that far off.

DD

17. verse

As currently constructed, we are at least two players away. At LEAST.

First, we need a mobile, HEALTHY two-way big man capable of drawing defensive attention.

Second, we need another swingman, also capable of playing both sides of the court effectively.

There are other needs, but those are the glaring holes to be addressed without gutting the team. I'm ok with Brooks and Martin, if we have a dynamic swing who can be Trevor on D and Manu-lite on O. We, erroneously, tried to fit the Ariza square into that well-rounded hole. Gerald Wallace, albeit unlikely, or someone of his ilk, would squeeze in better. Does Ariza + a NYK do it? Probably not, but you get the idea.

Bosh absolutely could fill the other need, if it costs us only a Hill, Bud, NYK pick, and fill, you've filled your glaring holes and still have the #14 to pick up a serviceable big or BPA to flip into a big, good-enough-C ala Kendrick Perkins.

18. DaDakota

Agreed on the big man, disagree on the 2 men away.

No we don't we need a big shot blocking guy at the rim to help our guys look better on D..

DD

19. verse

As I said, there are other holes...Hasheem Thabeet anyone??? Buy low...

And you didn't retort as to not needing another swing. Martin's efficient but not dominant enough physically to carry the wingspot permanently. He/we need another change+of-pace threat from the perimeter, even if off the bench. As I said, Gerald or someone of his ilk is perfect.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Some of us prefer they just be better on D, not look better because of someone else. :grin: But that's a moot point since we're stuck with Brooks/Martin for the foreseeable future.