1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Describe your eating habits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jun 11, 2009.

?

What best describes your food lifestyle?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2009.
  1. Other people do my cooking or I grab fast food. I'm a skinny teenager who cares.

14 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. I cook for myself sometimes, but mostly fast food / others make it. Moderatley health conscious.

46 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. I cook for myself and others often and try to watch what I eat on a regular basis.

46 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. I'm a bit of a health nut that counts calories and takes care of my body.

14 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. I eat mostly organic food when I can: very concerned about what kind of stuff is in my food.

9 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. I'm a Hippie-vegan that only eats organic food and worships Al Gore. I eat mostly for health.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'll just supplement Moes' post by remarking that you need to be very careful regarding farm raised fish. Generally, farm raised fish in the US is acceptable, and have been found to have much lower mercury concentration. But, this usually comes at the cost of antibiotics due to the proximity of the animals in the fish "pen". YMMV. Stay away from farm-raised fish from outside the US.

If you're pregnant, stay away from seafood entirely, especially crustaceans.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I dunno, I'm somewhere between 2 and three... though mb not the best cook in the world.... only do a few things well, and lots of my friends either love to cook or are really good at it or both (when you comin' up to cook me some brisket, Pope?)

since about March 1, for the first time in my life, I have actually kept track of what, and how much, I consume on a daily basis. I count the calories, and try to monitor how much of everything I'm getting. So far, a 1600 calorie diet has been mostly doable (also paying a lot of attention to sodium) , save for weekends when a few beverages and a good meal with no counting put me over my limit, but I've lost about 15 pounds since just keeping track, so I think I'm on a better pace than before when I just didn't worry about it at all.

That said, I refuse to be uptight about it, and if I feel like eating a cheeseburger or whatever, I do it. Life is too short, and I'm not all wrapped up in the current public opinion of what everyone thinks everyone should be and do.

So far so good. I'm feeling a bit healthier, slowly getting in -slightly- better shape, and doing it without committing to a lifestyle that I don't enjoy or can't keep up long term. It's a slow boat, but it's working and I'm still a happy dude.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'll admit I eat a lot of canned tuna and I haven't given much thought to where it comes from, most of the time it is the only meat I consume during the course of the day. I like the lean protein and omega-3 benefits obviously, and an FDA study done in 2006 found that an average can of tuna is well below the federal limits for mercury allowance.

4. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

i don't eat red meat that often but i do eat dairy daily...low fat milk & cheese. i have to have my dairy or i'd die. same with complex carbs...i am trying to eat my complex carbs for breakfast and lunch but eliminate any carbs for dinner time. it has been really hard because i notice if i don't eat carbs dinner time, i get hungry again by resorting eating a bowl of cereal or drinking a glass of milk.

Chicken, fish or anything with a salad at dinner time does not do it for me. :( any suggestions?

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I cook for myself most of the time, and when I'm at school I usually cook for my roommates a lot (if they chip in for groceries). Dining options aren't that great, though if I sleep in I'll usually grab a bagel or a piece of fruit or something from the cafe.

When I'm home I go out to eat on friday or saturday nights, usually. Sometimes both, but that's fairly rare. I'll usually eat out once or twice a week for lunch too. Otherwise, I cook for myself. I try to fit in breakfast, but I value sleep over food in the morning, so it's not always possible.

I'd say about half of the produce I get is organic, usually depends on the price. Almost all of the meat I use is pastured or grass fed. Because I generally cook (mostly) from scratch, I don't really worry about calories or anything like that, I use lots of butter, lots of cream, lots of cheese (my grandma taught me how to cook and she's french, so I blame her). Still scrawny though, so I still consider my diet to be healthy. ;)

I definitely drink too much though.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes. Yes, I am. I am getting in better sha--uhhh... that says... uh, never mind. You meant something else. Carry on, SeƱor Loco. :eek:

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I would say that is also true for your stomach. For example, if you don't eat red meat for a long time, I've noticed that for many people, it becomes harder for your body to digest it. You're not used to it, and you end up feeling sick or feeling like you just had some Taco Bell..

8. dharocks

Turkey chili!!

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gotta watch out for sodium levels with chili, especially if you eat a whole can.

10. dharocks

Oh, haha, I meant she should make it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lady_Di

I haven't thought about that...hmm I should give that a try. Thanks!

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is Hard Core. I hope you doing well.
    I bow to your discipline - Glad to see you posting again

I am generally health conscious but not overly so.

Rocket River

13. mazyar

mazyar Member

You can put me under the first option. Exept I'm not a teenager. I'm just a skinny guy who relies on others making his food and/or fast food. I still live at home.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I mostly cook for myself. Evenly distributed between fish and chicken, sometimes pork. I've cut out red meat, I save that for eating out (and that's only if it's the best thing on the menu), typically on weekends.

I probably eat fast food 2-3 times a month. No snacks. I don't eat much vegetables or fruit, so I force myself to eat a big salad (big lettuce, big carrots, tomatoes like volleyballs) as a meal once a week.

I don't hold back when it comes to cheese and butter, what can I say, I still have the preferences of a 12 year old. I also love soda, but limit myself to one glass a day now.

To sum up, I'm selective about eating healthy. I'm definitely underweight and have the metabolism of a teenager. I decided to make some changes when I realized that I've seen 60 year olds struggle to walk up stairs. I've seen 70 year olds who can dive to the ground playing pickup games. I want to be the latter. Also my father died of cancer, so I figure eating healthier might help in that respect.

After making some subtle changes, I've gotten used to it. Drinking more than one soda in a row tastes too syrupy. Eating a large fast food meal makes me feel a little weird afterwards (no, not just bowel movements). Salty snacks don't taste good anymore.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do almost all the cooking for our family, around 4 times per week, dinner. Mostly chicken and ground turkey, though we have a serious hankering for pork chops and have those every now and then. We don't prepare any red meat at home, but I'll eat burgers etc when we're out.

The best thing I've done for my diet was to stop eating out at lunch, which was often burgers and fries. I started bringing Trader Joe chicken rice bowls and burritos, for the most part. I dropped between 10 and 15 pounds pretty quickly and leveled off there.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This thread has really made me hungry, and I have no food to eat here... so I think I'm going to make a trip to Taco Bell... any suggestions on what I should get? Anything healthy there, please don't say Salad.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think I could be classified as a health nut. I don't eat any refined sugars, so no soda, candy, and deserts. I'm a vegetarian as well. I do eat dairy, but usually fat free dairy like fat free cheese. I don't drink milk, coffee, tea, and very limited fruit juices. Basically I drink water only. I haven't had a sip of soda or haven't eaten fast food in about 7 years, and usually cook everything at home. I eat about 5 meals per day.

1 person likes this.
  18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

You make me feel bad... :(

You're almost as conditioned as an athlete would be these days... maybe even better than some athletes. If you work out along with all of that, you must be a body builder... that's crazy though, no sip of soda or food in 7 years..... I don't know if it's because I was born here or not, but I'd have to crave some kind of fast food in 7 years.... what about outside food like restaurants or fancy restaurants?

19. Lady_Di

Gotta commend on your willpower...

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That sounds like a great diet. I eat about 5 (very small) meals a day too. Herbivores are grazers, so it makes sense that vegetarians would eat all day long.

I also drink mostly water only, except for coffee and sometimes beer. I drink gallons of water a day. I get a craving for soda about once every two or three years, but after one sip I'm totally grossed out by how sweet and syrupy it is.