1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Describe your eating habits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jun 11, 2009.

?

What best describes your food lifestyle?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2009.
  1. Other people do my cooking or I grab fast food. I'm a skinny teenager who cares.

14 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. I cook for myself sometimes, but mostly fast food / others make it. Moderatley health conscious.

46 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. I cook for myself and others often and try to watch what I eat on a regular basis.

46 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. I'm a bit of a health nut that counts calories and takes care of my body.

14 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. I eat mostly organic food when I can: very concerned about what kind of stuff is in my food.

9 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. I'm a Hippie-vegan that only eats organic food and worships Al Gore. I eat mostly for health.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The poll options aren't very good. I do most of the cooking. But, I don't give a crap about the calories or fat or whatever in my food, because I have the metabolism of a teenager. I avoid "organic" foods and the obviously inorganic ones as well. So, where does that put me?

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I thought the same thing way back when, but after a couple months I didn't miss it at all. In fact, I'd be more inclined to eat meat now than dairy.

I don't think my diet is the healthiest. I think vegan plus fish would be a perfect diet, but I can't bring myself to eat fish.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

#1 on my list of people to hate. ;)

metabolism of a teenager. Ugh. I've had the metabolism of a petrified rock since I was 14.

If you can't vote in the poll, just describe your particular situation in the thread kind of like you just did.

4. Batman Jones

There wasn't one that fit me either. I'm vegan, as I said, but it's not for health, I don't eat only organic and I don't worship Al Gore (though I do respect him). And the only things remotely "hippie" about me are my vegan diet and my fondness for old school Cat Stevens. In most other ways I share Eric Cartman's views on hippies.

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Before this year, I was #1, except remove skinny and replace with fat. And I quit being a teen a decade ago.

So far this year, I'm #4 and #5. There are bad weeks that I revert back to #1, but overall #4 and #5. I voted 4; I don't really care about the organic stuff, but my gf is all about organic/natural.

I track everything I eat online.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Cook our own food 95+% of the time. It's not always healthy (french/italian food is rich, tasty goodness) but the food itself is primarily organic.

Caveat to organic-only is meat. I get organic chicken (non-organic chicken is disgusting) but organic beef is hella expensive. I need to try and arrange with some folks to buy a grass-fed no-hormone cow again.

7. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i try my best to eat healthy so i like to cook at least twice a week and that'll last 4 days and then i eat out other times but not fast food. i do love me some shipley's tho! when i cook myself, i go healthy, not neccessarily organic but no butter, little salt, lotsa veggies, fish, etc. but when i go out to eat, i pretty much eat whatever i want. not a health nut, moreso, i just do enough to like how i feel and how i look. that's what counts to me. i've been the same weight for the last 15 yrs or so (i'm 30 now) minus the spike there the yr i was 21 from all the drinking so i can't really complain. my mom looks great at 60 so all i have to do is maintain and i should be set. ;)

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Who's the hippie vegan?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

she's a good little girl, because she ate all her butter.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I voted for the second option, but I think I'm starting to move towards..option 4... HOPEFULLY I can this summer.

11. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I cook meals during the week but go out on the weekends.

I eat fairly healthy and watch my portions. I tend to eat small meals but sometimes it doesn't work since I'll get hungry again at night. It is SO hard to not eat any carbs at dinner time.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The poll results were stupidly made for the sake of being too specific in order to see what people reeeeeeeeeeeeeallllly think.

13. Batman Jones

That's my vote. Not a hippie but am a vegan.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Let's start an "I'm a skinny mo fo who was never fed properly and you fatsos need to put the cookie down", a "y'all don't work out? Figures." a "Well, not everybody's metabolism is the same, sir" or an "I can't believe y'all are counting your calories, you losers!" fight. C'mon, who wants to start? :confused:

I'm going to Whataburger now. Who's in that's what she said?

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i don't eat well in that i actually try to make my own food once a week at best.

but i try to be conscious in what i eat when i eat out, i only aim for lean cuisine/healthy choice or lean pocket type frozen stuff when i go that route, etc.

so crappy, but a slightly healthy version of it

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I shop at costco and buy mostly the same 20 things every time I go...

egg whites
    chicken breasts
    ground turkey
    lactose free milk
    protein bars
    veggies
    fruits
    nuts

etc

I cook for myself 1-2 times per week and prepare all my foods en mass...

my diet is pretty boring, but healthy, and my friends definitely don't like coming over and asking for a "snack".

once per week I will eat out and order something with red meat and cheese to give my thyroid a little kick in the arse.

the one thing i wish i could do is eat more organic foods, go to farmers markets and stuff, and definitely eat home grown meats... but i have to admit im kind of clueless where to get that stuff

#36 DonnyMost, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You can get a lot of basic info right here... http://www.organic.org/

Be sure to check out the "Top 10 myths" about organic food section, very informative.

HEB actually has a pretty good selection of organic food these days. You can find it on the labels, and in the produce sections as well. You can buy organic dairy like milk and cheese at HEB.

Whole Foods obviously is a great place for organic eating too, but more in terms of groceries that are more naturally made, for fruits and veggies, I'd recommend a farmer's market.

Meat is tougher, organically raised meat is very expensive. I buy organic, free-range, vegetarian fed chicken and turkey here and there and fish. I stay away from red meat mostly because of the high amounts of fat, and because its expensive as hell.

18. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

can you clarify? do you need red meat/cheese for thyroid to function properly?

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

if you eat healthy, once in a while it is a good idea to have a "cheat meal" consisting of things you normally would avoid... for me, that would be red meat and dairy... to make your metabolism work harder and not get complacent.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That is an interesting thing.

I'm avoiding fast food altogether, but if I went to a sit-down type place that would probably be my "cheat-meal" for the week.