1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I am honestly interested in your opinion. Specifically, I would like you to rate each of these moves as to whether you: (1) Agree with the decision, (2) Think that it was a coaching mistake, or (3) Don't know (I'm willing to give you this option because I can imagine you saying that the coaching staff must have its reasons, etc.):

A. Not bringing in Asik (or anyone decent on the boards) for defensive rebounding on the missed FT at the end of the game by the Heat.

B. Playing Douglas over Lin the 4th quarter and overtime against Portland.

C. Not making one single offense/defense possession substitution at the end of quarters/games in the entire season to date (or if there was one that slipped my memory, making so few).

D. Playing Harden so many minutes per game (hence forcing him to "rest" on defense)

E. Making Harden handle the ball and use his energy so much early in possessions on isolation-type plays with Lin in the game.

F. Playing Lin 18 minutes against Dallas total, 0 in the 4th quarter.

G. Spending the beginning of the press conference after the latest Spurs game complaining to the press about Lin waiving off the pick for Asik on the final play (90% of McHale's time talking about Lin), knowing Lin's performance in the game and his personality of being his own harshest critic.

H. Not once directly admitting a single coaching mistake after the fact.

I'll stop here for now and wait to hear back.

2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

How about because most of the players are developing beautifully under this coaching?

of course Mc Hale make mistakes, every coach does:grin: and they make a lot of mistakes -all of them... just like all of the players do...

So don't get too excited if you discovered this stinky move or decision by the coach its only natural to make them...you'll never find a coach who doesn't make mistakes..

But the way and pace all players and the team are developing warrants giving him a chance till the end of this season and a year more...

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

McHale needs to be fired immediately. I'm nostalgic by this mans rotation skill set, game after game. Can the whole board just pray everyday that it happens soon? Thanks.

Mr. D

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is a pointless argument because no fan knows exactly what went on in the huddle, nor any locker room tidbits. So it's easy for fans to say if he had done so and so we would've won, because no one can disprove a hypothetical, and it's so much easier to be Captain Hindsight than to make decisions within the game.

In the end, you can only look at how players develop and how many wins the team has. The Rockets have played one of the toughest schedules in the NBA(rank #6 I believe) and sits at 9-11. Unless you think we're a 45-50 win talent despite only one star and ridiculous youth, then the worst you can say about McHale is "average."

5. JerryH

JerryH Member

The positive thing about having young team with not so many superstars is that you can make them play as a team and play tough D. The all have to prove something and earn a reputation. It is a lot harder for Mike D´Antony to get this out of his aging superstars. So, I am not surprised at all that the Rockets won a few games, the real thing starts after Xmas when the teams will step-up a gear and start playing seriously. Let´s see where McHail´s Rockets will be then. I hope he will do a good job, the guy is big enough leader and a coach to be given the opportunity to coach at least till the end of his contract. Criticizing him on every decision by people who never played or coached is simply stupid.

6. 408_to_886

408_to_886 New Member

I think a main reason that mchale is refusing to play dmo, tjones is to get trade value up on cook, ppat, Aldrich, etc.

But yes, his rotations are pretty dumb.

7. duteman

duteman Member

Nice vid on Royce White. Sounds like he needs to get buddy buddy with JLin for some spiritual counselling.

Any case just for you fire McHale folks this is another round of ammunition for you to hate him as a coach. From the Vid seemed like it was all McHale that pushed for Royce white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Only person I can make a case of actually developing well is Parsons, everyone else seems to be either going in a opposite direction of their talent (Patterson) or using every ounce of the skills and talent they had before with the bare minimum of improvement.

Asik's hands haven't really improved and Harden hasn't shown anything that he didn't do or showed signs of being able to do in OKC. I really don't have to talk about Lin, so Parsons is the one anomaly and I am willing to place that more on Morey knowing value talent. I can't say I think McHale needs to be fired now, although I am leaning that way based on his over working of Harden, but he has done nothing tangible on the court for retaining his job at the end of this season.

9. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

If you actually looked over my posting history, you would see that most of my posts have nothing to do with McHale at all.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

caoch I wronged you!

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is difficult for fans, you and me, to discriminate between how very young and inexperienced players affect the game and coaching issues. The players are inconsistent. How else can one explain beating Boston and the Knicks and losing to Toronto? In the current Rockets situation I would not point a finger at the coaching staff until they are 80% or so though the season. Locker room problems will be the first tip off that the coaches are not doing their jobs. Coaching can only increase or decrease the W/L record five games, but locker room issues can torpedo a season.

12. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

Actually they first got even worse.

13. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

We fans need to have patience for Lin and other players on the team to learn and improve 'cause they are so young and inexperienced.

Are we supposed to have the same level of patience with McHale and Sampson for them to learn and improve?

Talking about accountability. Lin has contributed the whole game and make a mistake at the end and McHale targeted that one in the post game interview without giving Lin much credit for his other great performance. McHale's tone and words just made me feel he was trying to evade his share of responsibility and accountability for the loss.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

15. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Give McHale a grace period for the tragedy he endured but then fire him for a better coach. Sick of seeing these ridiculous coaching decisions.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Sucks that he doesn't make every decision to please you.:p

17. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Fire McHale!!! :rolleyes:

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets are playing fabulously - except for that Toronto game. I wonder how long they will be improving at this rate? And Lin and Harden - just wow.