1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rudy ball has got to go, hey hey, ho ho

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OUTITAN, May 5, 2003.

1. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

Rudy T is holding the Rockets back. I fully appreciate everything he has done for the team but he hasn't shown the ability to evolve as the game changes. Now that he has an illness to blame it on we should use his health as an excuse to let him go without disgrace.

It makes me sick to watch our offense in play.

We don't pass, we don't run, we don't move without the ball, we don't even move to help out a player who is being double teamed. For awhile I thought we just lacked the talent to be an effective, consistant offense but that clearly isn't the case. Maybe the players were too young? But after yet another season watching iso ball its clear that the offense isn't designed to win. The players aren't allowed to even help eachother in our offense. There is no sense of teamwork out there. Hell the And1Tour players pass more than we do.

There is no movement in our offense, no one moves to catch the pass, they don't move to help out a player being double teamed, they don't move to rebound, they don't even move to help on defense. Is it any wonder that our rebounding and assists are so weak? The players look as frustrated by the offense as the fans. Its not that they can't play, its that they aren't allowed to.

So what to do about it?

Well a lot of fans posting here seem to think we need a new pg and power forward, at the expense of Mobley, Griffen, Taylor, Rice, Cato and maybe a couple other players off the bench.
    Fine, so long as you get players that want to play Rudy's brand of basketball, which isn't likely. Who wouldn't want to bring Elton Brand and a furious defensive present like Payton into the fold? But do we have room for two more stars only to have them stand around waiting for something to happen?

Others have recommended that a strong change in offensive philosophy, Kings, Spurs, 76ers, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing a Utah philosophy with pleny of pick and rolls, moving without the ball to create passing lines. Regardless of what we recommend Rudy isn't that kind of coach and neither is the coaching staff so its not going to happen.

We need to seriously look at bringing in some fresh talent.. on the coaching staff. Bring in a philosophy that gives the players a chance to play and have some fun, is it just me or do they looked as bored as we are? AskRobert Horry who's offense he likes better, Rudy's or Phil's? Roll players actually have a roll in other offenses, in Rudy's they're just there to occupy defenders.

I love you Rudy, I wrote several articles defending your style and draft selection back on the CluchCity.com before they shut down web, but its time to go. Don't go away mad.. just go away.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So what you're saying is that Rudy should be fired because the ISO offense doesn't work....interesting concept. No one has really brought that up before.

Hmmm... ;)

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Not a bad first post... but you got to know that Robert would say Rudy. The lakers are the biggest iso team out there. It's inside and out and most of the time it doesn't come out but if it does and Kobe gets it, it's iso iso iso. Shaq and Kobe are blackholes and the rest of the team just stands around at the 3 point line waiting for a pass.

But why would you want it any other way when you have 2 of the 5 best players in the league why would you want anyone else to touch the ball. It's not a very difficult philosophy but a sound one because you can't stop Kobe and Shaq and if you try to slow them down someone will be open. Hmm... seems to me the Rockets use to run an offense like that.

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Welcome back.

But it's ROLE players damnit! THese players have a ROLE in the offense!

Unfortunately in our offense, it is to sit around and act as decoys.

#4 Gutter Snipe, May 5, 2003
    Last edited: May 5, 2003
  5. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

Yeah, I thought i'd be original and start a new thread saying the exact same thing everybody else does :D

Basically my point is that the players aren't the problem, its the system. And since Rudy has said that the system isn't going to change then he's got to go.

If Rudy would just take a look around the league he'd see that the zone defense has made his offense obsolete. He doesn't need to make big changes, we're close to being good. A little more work in the two man game would get us to the playoffs. Some solid defense would even win a series.

Trades would be nice but wouldn't accomplish anything, so moving SF to the 2 and bringing in an expensive pg, while intriguing, isn't the answer. Neither is moving EG to another team when what he needs is some positive coaching, discipline and a chance to be effective in the offense. Mobley.. well i'd like to see him play in another system, he's a ball hog but with this offense what difference does it make.

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

he actually said he wasnt going to change the system? ahhh....if he isnt willing to change he definitely has to go.....i was ok with having him for 1 more year to prove himself...but if hes just going to waste the type with the same system and not take the effort into making a better offensive scheme...then theres no point to having him...

7. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Interesting point. Rudy is extreme.

He expects too much out of our "stars" (he milks them; hyperactivity; ISO's them to death).

And he expect too little from the role players (bench warmers on the Rockets, traded, and they become productive players on other teams; or they just stand around watching the ISO player do their thing).

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How do you know what kind of rolls they have, have you been to a pre-game meal? :D

Seriously, I've always said I think the team we have in place is good enough to be a 5 or 6 seed IF they played team ball and totally abandoned that damn ISO offense. I really don't think Rudy knows anything different because he never had do do anything different with Hakeem.

If that's the case, it's time for a change. No more TALK about a different offense, DO IT!

9. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

enough about the rolls, they were yeast rolls, baked to a golden brown, they filled them with honey and butter and ate themselves out of the playoffs... I know its ROLE players, i was thinking faster than I type. My humble appologies, forgive me oh mighty gods of grammer, may Strunk and White grind me beneath their feet. :p

My main complaint is this:
    The Rockets have a lot of talent that they aren't even trying to use.
    Instead they throw everything on SF's shoulders and tell him to go win the game.
    My positional analisys behind this belief breaks down like this:

Franchise: is an awesome point who is expected to do it all without any help from anybody else. He doesn't need to move to the two spot, he just needs someone to share the burden.

Mobley: shots too much but since he's not expected to pass why wouldn't he? He's got the shot making ability but needs to learn to pass to the open man when double-teamed. I think he plays defense against Kobe as well as anybody, just wish he'd give that kind of effort against everybody else.

Posey: provides enough scoring to keep openents honest and plays solid defense. Keeper

Griffen/Taylor: Griffen can be an imposing shot blocker and with some muscle could be a better rebounder. He's got the offensive skills to be a star but he's not strong enough to post up yet. Taylor is a scorer, he can come off the bench and tear up an opposing team, but his on defense he'd rather foul than move his feet. I'm not sure that starting Taylor and letting Griffen be the focus off the bench wouldn't be a better way to go.

Yao: its all there for him once he puts on a little more muscle so opposing teams can't push him out of the paint. Now that he's seen the best the NBA has to offer he'll gain in confidence. He can make some beautiful passes and he and Franchise work really well together.

Bench:
    Rice is overpaid for what we get from him.
    Cato showed that he is a better bench player than a starter, only problem i've got with him is that he's paid like an all-star, if he didn't cost so much i'd love to keep him, but he does so please, please trade him.
    Nachbar could be the Rick Fox type player we need coming off the bench, but again, he'll never get enough touches to develop here.
    Moochie, he's finally got the money, now he's relaxed. He's the kind of guy that needs to be signed to a one year contract for the rest of his life.
    The rest are a waste of time and money. We need depth, not starters. Bring in a few veterans near the end of their career to show the young guns how its suppossed to be done.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Welcome back swindle. :eek:

11. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

I'm not Swindle, I wrote a few articles for Frank though.