1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

486 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. dmoneybangbang

LMAO... you sure got me.... Now go run along little girl.... LMAO.

2. basketballholic

"D
    Understand you "don't see" it.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Thon Maker looks like the creature thing from Annihilation lol.

4. alethios

alethios Member

I don't see it either and as far as what I have seen, Capela has a better chance of being DPOY than Qi.

5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

@basketballholic, I wonder if you're still up for it after Maker shown no improvement last year, and got bullied HARD in SL, again.

With how little Maker has improved, it wouldn't surprise me if he's actually 25 years old.

luckyman76 and topfive like this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But who is he imitating?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still a HARD NO from me.

DD

8. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

74 people owe Capela an apology for this disrespect

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why is this thread not locked yet?

lmao

10. Moahst

Moahst Member

Thon is not ready to start on a contending team. In three years if he can become the shot blocking, three point shooting seven footer that is his absolute ceiling then he'd be worth a look. Right now I see him being outplayed by Brook Lopez fairly easily on the Bucks.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This thread has aged well

jeevinesh, BMoney and napalm06 like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No reason to trade for Thon Maker when Zhou Qi is ready to step in and take the minutes from Capela.

// ;)

13. basketballholic

Since Capela is now under a long term high dollar contract....I'd probably try to trade him for Maker and something else...to make salaries match.

I still believe we should trade Capela....whenever possible for an upgrade. At the time I was wanting to trade Capela for Maker, Maker was just coming into the league and had 4 years to develop. I would have gladly done that. And would do it now if Maker was a rookie/2nd year guy and Capela was on the butt end of his rookie deal.

I like Capela as a person. He's a nice guy. And he's a decent player. I do not view Capela as a special player. I view Capela as an opportunity...while there are apparently other people that view him as a special player. So....I'd still like to trade him for something better. And if we can't get Anthony Davis in trade or Kristaps in trade (neither is likely) then I'm for trading Capela (and Gordon) for a superstar 3 man (or budding star 3 man and bloated contract) and going with Qi or some other low cost option at the 5 spot. I do not believe Capela will be on the floor as one of our base 6 players when we have to go up against the Warriors in a 7 games series to get to the Finals. I could be wrong. But I don't see Capela being a factor down the stretch against the Warriors. I'm for moving him if we can get a better fitting piece that can give us quality crunch time minutes down the stretch against the Warriors.

In my opinion our crunch time 6 against the Warriors are

Harden
    CP3
    Gordon
    Tucker
    Melo

plus another player that can switch defend and shoot. That's not Capela. It's likely one of Ennis/Knight/Qi presently. Perhaps Criss grows into that role (doubtful). And perhaps we've got another move coming (hopefully) for either a great 3 or a standout young 3 (Winslow/Oubre). And perhaps I'm wrong about Capela helping us as part of our top 6 against the Warriors. But right now....until I see it....I'm not changing my opinion on the situation. It's not about Capela. Capela is who he is, a rim runner that plays average defense at the rim and can match up against a few perimeter guys with a medium amount of success defensively. And he can gamble defensively and make a play occasionally against great opponent perimeter players. But the majority of the time, the vast majority of the time, the overwhelming majority of the time....Capela is toast when matched up against Curry, Durant, etc. and overall is a net negative to our defense in those crunch time situations because he's easy to pick on and we can't go back the other way and run pick and roll with him with Draymond defending.

You say....Melo for sure can't defend. To a large degree true. But what Melo can do is trigger the 3. And that key ability makes Draymond a stand-still defender and levels the odds against the Warriors. Melo is a much, much better option at the 5 down the stretch against the Warriors than is Capela. That's why I see another player like Knight or possibly Ennis supplanting Capela in that top 6 role down the stretch against the Warriors. We've gotta be able to switch and we've gotta be able to run pick-and-pop or flat out spread the Warriors defense out with the iso. Either case we've got to have 4 guys that can shoot the long ball out there maximizing space and scoring efficiency. Unless and until Capela either learns to catch and shoot the 3 efficiently or he becomes a true ace defender in switch iso's OR the Warriors are dismantled somehow....then my opinion on this matter isn't going to change. We need another truly great player to beat the Warriors. And Capela likely needs to go to make that happen.

So....if salaries weren't a consideration....and we could go back in time...yes, I'd still trade Capela for Maker. Because Maker has shown the ability to shoot. However....we now have Qi. And I am very intrigued with his potential and development. I think he's a difference making defender and he's already exhibited his ability to shoot the 3. And yes at 7'2" with 15 foot arms....yes, he can run PnR, catch and dunk.

So, if I were looking to move Capela to the Bucks....I might try to get Maker, Bledsoe, and Middleton for Capela/Gordon/Nene/pick or maybe Snell/Henson/Ilyasova/Maker for Capela/Knight/Criss/Nene whenever all those guys are eligible for trade. I still want to trade Capela. I just hope we can make him look great and then move him for something greater.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

For the lulz

King1 and J Sizzle like this.
  15. Chamillionaire

Wtf. Why feed this guy? Who gives a crap about Thon Maker?

King1 and topfive like this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Proof that some people will always prefer unknown potential over established potential. Not properly assigning the % chances of those potentials actually panning out. #SummerLeague4Eva

heypartner likes this.
  18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

holic is one of those who would trade one share of Microsoft stock with 10K different penny stocks. omg the potential. I respect that.

But still. lulz. What the heck.

don grahamleone and heypartner like this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Wow... there's nothing wrong with saying "I was wrong". It often provides credibility to do so.

Please note that Capela's highlights are from one game. Thon's are from an entire series.

Thon was averaging 5.5 points per game on a .500 eFG% so considering his 2pt FG% his 3 pointers are actually a liability. Clint was averaging 12.7 and 11.6 boards on a .660 eFG%. These are differences that decide series. Why would you weaken our team over salary that you're not paying? Hell, the ticket revenue alone for the additional series or two you play in the playoffs with Clint justify the difference.

What's your actual point? What does Thon do that helps us win because the laundry list of things that Capela does for us is clear and we'd have to figure out a replacement if we traded him away. New Orleans isn't knocking on our door offering Anthony Davis so Clint doesn't really have an equal out there that makes more sense.

I mean I sent Clint to Milwaukee for Middleton and Maker on the NBA Trade Machine and Hollinger's analysis said we'd have 5 less wins when we're getting two players you see as contributors. Why do you think that is? I think it's because Clint Capela is a damn good NBA player that you've been underselling for years now for virtually no good reason. Dude improves every year and he's a major contributor to this team now. Maybe it's time to jump on the wagon rather than to continually insist on your assessment that was formed 3 years ago. Things have changed.

20. basketballholic

Show me those highlights against the Warriors in the Conference Finals.

That's what it's all about.