1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Why I Am No Longer A Rockets Fan - A Revelation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by what, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. what

what Member

From the year 1987, when I was a junior at Westfield High School on Ella Blvd, until Charles Barkley trade, I was a rabid rockets fan. My interest in the team waned, when the Rockets brought Charles Barkely in to Houston, to manufacture another run at the championship. From that point on, the Rockets felt less like the team I loved and more like teams I had always despised, namely the ShowTime Lakers. But I continued to support them through my love for other players on the team, but I never forgave the Rockets for that trade. And even before then, I never forgave them for Otis being traded to bring in Clyde. And yet that team still had a face of players I new and loved. But even still, those old habits of mind made me somewhat gun-shy of admitting what I felt in my heart about this team. I had sworn my eternal devotion to the Rockets way back in 1987 and so having my attention wane about this team seemed treachery, similar to having someone find me out and then saying "Boy, go curse your god and die."

So what lead me to backslide on my team?

Before I tell you that, I'll let you leap to your own conclusions and only say that in those years between 1987 and the 1994-95 season something happened to me, a bond between a team and a player or players, where I suffered losses personally and wins for the team were wins for me in my own life. If the Rockets won the night before it made my whole day better. I felt like I was a privileged spectator, witnessing something that the rest of the country were ignorant of--those poor saps--and the fact that the Rockets got little respect, galvanized this feeling, the feeling that this Rockets team was destine for greatness, and it all started with a soft-spoken, gentle-giant of a man Akeem Olajuwon, but filtered down to OT and mad max and the jet, but even before that, Sweet Lou and Mitchell Wiggins, through all of the coaches, Bill Fitch and Don Chaney and ended with an excitable Rudy Tomjanovich. Not a coach so much as a fan. I remember in the first few games at the helm of the Houston Rockets, Rudy falling over the scorers table in a heap watching a shot fall softly through the web-netting of the goal.

But even as I write those words, I realize that 1987 wasn't the year I was galvanized to the Rockets or the city of Houston. It happen almost ten years before, in the sweet and strangely exciting era of Luv Ya Blue, and with a team that will never get the respect it was due, but had as much character as the 85 Bears, minus the glitz. It had a coach who in a few words bonded me to a team like I have never been bonded before or since, Bum Philips. It was in the wake of Luv Ya Blue that I projected my bond to the Houston Rockets, and became long-suffering. The Rockets championships were really, for me, unfinished business, they kicked the damn door in!

As I look back at those teams I realize, very sadly, that I will never have that experience again. Those days when nothing mattered but the dream shake and the Columbia blue waving in a delirium of joy. Two teams, for the ages. And yet, I must ask myself why? Why do I feel that way? I realized that what I loved about those teams were something that rarely happens more than once in a lifetime. A superstar player, drafted to your team, comes in and suffers, bides his time, waiting, becoming the heart of a city and one year, in a moment, becomes something great, gels with a team of ragtag players and takes on the world of super teams, with expense salaries and deep pockets, does something that nobody thinks they can do.

That is why I am not a Rockets fan. My current favorite team is the Detroit Pistons, and some great moments I remember since losing interest in the Rockets was AI's performance against the Lakers. That guy has so much heart.

So do with me what you will. I can take it, but remember I was once like you and may be again.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No, you won't. Most fans here are fans for life, not coming and going as we please.

Your following of the Rockets is your perogative. I feel the same way about some teams myself, but not the Rockets...which is why I'm a member here.

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

http://www.bleachermob.com/madness/madnbapistons.html

4. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

The Charles Barkley trade wasn't my favorite one, but what are you going to do when one team that you could never get past, in the past, rolls you 4-0. Roll out the same team and get squashed again? No, we went out and got the guy that they (Seattle) could never beat, and guess what? We beat them.

I am, for one, happy that we have proactive management that wants to win and will try to make the necessary moves to get to that next level. We are more of a higher profile team than we were used to being earlier, but the lack of respect is still there by the nation. Man, we're still the underdogs and will always be as long as we're Houston. You can't help but root for this team.

I really didn't know how much of a fan I was until the SF era began, when we were no longer considered an elite team and were lottery bound for five straight seasons. I still hollered at the TV, cheered when they won, threw stuff when someone made boneheaded plays, but at the end of the day, I still tuned in every broadcast that I could.

Man, I just don't see how anybody whose roots are in this team can not be a fan for life. Yeah, all of these new fans are here because of T-Mac and Yao, but it's just something about that burn inside you, that no matter if they didn't Yao of T-Mac, you'd still be here and you'd still cheer for the Rockets.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I feel you. I wasn't even the biggest fan of the Drexler trade like you. But winning a ring helped me get over that. But I did become less of a fan that year. It was something about rooting for that team in the late 80's up until the first championship year. The Rockets were a novelty in this city. Other folks only rooted for them when they won. All the other kids at school wore Jordan or Magic jerseys. You were a real die hard fan if you rooted for them in those years.

#5 pgabriel, May 15, 2005
    Last edited: May 15, 2005
  6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

No offense, what, but that post didn't say anything and was pure emotion.

The NBA is very different now and many of us here are frustrated with it. I absolutely hated watching last year's Rox team, but I did because they're my team. I felt bad for SF and Cat, wondered what MoT could have done if he was never injured and puked my guts out during the Eggie meltdown. The RudyT "resignation" from two years ago will always haunt me.

But that's what was so refreshing about this year's team (and why, I think, this bbs is not nearly upset now as we've been for the last four years after we lost.

So what, as a fan, can you ask for? A young unselfish superstar that checked his ego at the door when he got here, and improved? A young unselfish, talented all-star that is a humble, team-first guy? And everybody on the team believing their coach and that they can beat anybody? Oh, and we have several expiring contracts that are likely to bring in a well above-average player in midseason.

Your melancholy is a little bizarre right now. Rings are it for me too, but this organization right now is something to be very proud of, if you're a real Rox fan.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For all you fans who feel like you can only really be a fan by "suffering" through the hard times with a team before they win, this may be the perfect time to hop on board (although I throughouly question your commitment to anything if you're this finicky).

The foundation is there, and will be there for awhile. The team still needs to be built the right way as they're not yet quite a true contender yet. And, we know that we have the dependable superstar(s) needed that can carry you on your shoulders if we do get the right role players around them.

I'll admit that my interest waned during the Francis era, because I never saw IT from him. He'd put up great stats one game, but there'd be the occasional bonehead error that took away from it. By his last year here, I was one of the few Francis defenders left... and then I came to a realization that I was defending mistakes by a guy who was already in his SIXTH year.... and guys don't all of a sudden become one of the greatest of all time that late in their careers, especially if they're failing to grasp simple concepts of basketball.

But, something w/ this current team just "clicked"... and it did give me the same feeling as the early 90's teams. I actually liken this recent loss to the way I felt after the 92-93 Seattle series. We did get beat by the better team, in a grueling 7 game series, but you felt like something special was on the cusp of happening... after a few adjustments (and this is only in year ONE of the "re-tooling" process).

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Wait till the season starts amd you'll be back

Wonder if you'll be a Pistons fan when the "heart" of the Pacers beat them in the series. Make up your mind. Whenever we go down, we all go down. Its not, we went down, now to be a fan of another team thats STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS. :rolleyes:

It disgust me that fans are saying that "We are not like the team that won the champioship", "We have no heart", etc...

Ummm, 2/3 of that team ARE RETIRED. That team was full of thirty year olds, that were at their peak and were going down in a short period of time. Teams change EVERY YEAR, while its VERY rare to have a team to even be together for more than 2-3 seasons max.

Btw, your argument about superstars drafting by a team and staying there??? Umm, Detroit has Billups (bonuced around FA), B. Wallace (undrafted), R. Wallace (played for 3 other teams), Hamilton (retained in trade), and Prince being the only one drafted.

All I can say is that, if you lived in LA and followed the Clippers, you wouldve suicide years ago.

#8 Dave2000, May 15, 2005
    Last edited: May 15, 2005
  9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Does anyone else ponder the purpose of this thread?

It's from a non-Fan. What more needs to be said? Does it even belong in this forum?

10. what

what Member

I think some of you misunderstand me. I haven't been a fan of basketball period since Hakeem left the Rockets, but I did like last years detroit team, and I liked the gutty performance of AI. I didn't jump off of the Rockets bandwagon when they lost in the playoffs. I was never rooting for them in the first place.

What got me to thinking about this was the espn classic 1995 playoffs. It brought up old memories, some that I realize would never be experienced again.

As far as any statement for or against the current NBA, I think Joe Dumars is the only person that has a clue.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I bleed Rocket blood.

Whether they win more championships or if they suck for the next 50 season, I will always bleed Rockets blood.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So why are you wasting your time in a Rockets website?

Not trying to sound rude, but maybe you should just go away then.

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The only thing that will stop me rooting for the Rockets is if they everleave Houston, or I die. You were never like me at all. You had a favorite player in the league and you followed him, and thought you were a Rocket's fan.

But you weren't.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I became a Rockets fan in 1995 when I lived in Houston, even though my favorite player at that time, a German, was playing for a Rockets opponent (Detlef Schrempf). Now, the only German guy in the NBA (whom I still like) plays for Dallas, but that won't make me a Mavs fan - I will always be a Rockets only fan! :)

(Actually, somehow, I identify the Rockets with Houston, a city which I still love somehow...so if they moved to a different city, and if then the players I still identify with (especially Yao Ming) also left at some point and there were only a bunch of guys like Sprewell, Darius Miles, etc. on the team, I think I might become less of a Rockets fan - but I hope that will never happen!)

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Be gone bandwagoner.

If you think Rockets fans have not suffered the last 8-9 years then you need some serious psychological help.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I read a few sentences of the threadstarter's post before I got bored...is this what he's saying? So he's basically a older version of a YOF...good riddance.

17. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

:confused:

I'm guessing 99.9% of the board agrees with that trade

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The years between Drexler's retirement and the T-Mac trade were brutal.

The ISO crap turned me from a "glued to every game" fan to a fairly casual fan. I still got tons of free tickets from work so I saw 15-25 games a year, but they were so frustrating. I was the fan standing right below Cynthia Cooper screaming "PASS THE BALL" and pissing off all the suits around me. Luckily, my clients were drunken sports fans and therefore my boss expected us to have a good time.

They traded away Steve and Cat at the same time I moved to NYC. I decided to get the NBA package to watch the occasional Rockets game. Even when we were getting our asses handed to us, T-Mac electrified my interest. I started watching whenever I could. In January, I went to see the Knicks host the Rockets. Seeing T-Mac live was amazing. After that I started Tivoing games.

I am so happy I caught this season. This playoff run was one of the best I have seen in a long time. I am psyched for next year.

19. what

what Member

I did not post this to get attention. I posted this to get it off my chest, and I don't feel like I am a bandwagoner. If that was the case, you would think that I would be hoping aboard the band now that the Rockets have a brighter future. Even further to that statement is my attachment to OT. As a previous poster stated 99.9 % agrees with that trade.

My consternation occurs because, like an undiscovered band making great music then selling out to the masses the Rockets started chasing championships, which are very uninportant to me as a fan. What is important is the players who win the championship, who make up the team. I couldn't care less if the hakeen-lead rockets ever won a championship, because my joy did not derive from that; it dervied from watching the man play and suffering with him. The same is true of the Bum-lead oilers.

Championships mean nothing if I don't care about the players on the team.

20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

May I be the first to say " Don't let the door hit you in the ass"
    There have been many things the Rockets organisation has done that haven't been to my liking (trading for Barkley,getting rid of Turbo and especially the whole Rudy T. mess). But for better or worse, I will never forsake them for any other team. Except on one condition : that they never leave Houston.

All I have to say about the pistons, is beware of their GM. If you don't believe me, just ask Carlisle. I hope your happy with your new team and that you never leave them. And if you do, pick another team besides the Rockets. Happy trails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.