1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I Am No Longer A Rockets Fan - A Revelation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by what, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

One more thing:

Everyone is a bandwagoner....no one claims to be a Clippers fan, or any other sports team that hasn't one anything.

Even Indian fans are chasing past glory.

C'mon, people become fans because of winning...past, present, or future.

I became a Rockets fan because I was a Phi Slamma Jamma fan, because that team was good...and I loved Hakeem....but if that team sucked, I probably wouldn't have known who Hakeem even was until he got to the NBA.

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

Actually.. I kinda like the Bobcats. :eek:

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm surprised this thing is still going.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This happened to my wife. She loved the teams that won the championships...and hated Barkley because of his role as the bad guy in those two playoff series in 94 and 95. She couldn't understand how I could root for the guy, even in a Rockets jersey. She lost interest.

But she didn't grow up as a Rockets fan. She didn't grow up in Houston. I have gone through periods where I haven't really LIKED the guys on the team...but I've always rooted for the Rockets, and frankly wouldn't watch/care about the NBA if the Rockets weren't in Houston.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guys, I have something to confess. I no longer enjoy eating Frosted Flakes. It all began several years ago. I woke up one morning, had a glass of orange juice, and then sat down to my usual bowl of Frosted Flakes. Oh, how much joy that bowl brought me every morning. I had suffered with the cereal when it was made from cardboard flakings and ground up sheet rock. Sure, it nearly destroyed half my stomach, but it was my cereal, and it was cereal that was made right. But on this day, the cereal just didn't taste so good. I thought maybe it was the orange juice, but the next day, it was just as bad even before the orange juice. I knew then, I was no longer a Frosted Flakes fan. I now eat Golden Grahams.

I tell you this, random people whom I barely know and who have little to no interest whatsoever about my cereal preferences, not to get attention or to stroke my own di...ego, but because I just had to get it off my chest. There, now that I have gotten it off my chest, I will surely leave...that is of course unless anyone even remotely acknowledges this post and responds.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

A link for you

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

im an astros fan and texans fan
    :(

8. caphorns

caphorns Member

I was an Oiler fan long before Bum Phillips - the Syd Gillman era I believe. Winning or not - that was my team dammit. I liked the Raiders too as a kid but it was nothing compared to my Oilers. I would have stuck with them if Bud had stuck with Houston. But, when he didn't it became Bud's team and not my team. The Texans are growing on me.

I became an Astros fan when you could hear a peanut shell drop from 10 sections over in the Astrodome.

Alan Leavell was one of my favorite alltime Rox.

So why would I wait for a winner. These were the teams where I grew up and I wouldn't change loyalties for the life of me.

9. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

So WHAT are we supposed to do?

Retire our loyalty to a team because the players either leave or retire?

I know what you are saying about that warm and fuzzy feeling you got in your stomach when Dream took Robinson to the hole in the WCF in '95. Or when Elie shot his "kiss of death" in Phoenix.

The NBA is not very warm and fuzzy anymore.
    And players change, areana change, uniforms change and coaches change.
    Also WE change. Since those days I'm married...have two children...have a mortgage to pay for...more responsibilties, etc.... The Rockets are just not as important to me personally like it was when I was younger. Don't get me wrong..they are important to me...but not when I'm having to work late or help with the kids. I can't watch all 82 games like I used to. But I keep up with it and DVR a lot of games to skim through them.

BUT....didn't you get just a teeny weeny warm and fuzzy feeling in your stomach when McGrady hit that game 2 game winning shot against the Mavs??? It actually brought back feelings I haven't had sinece the glory days of the mid 90's.

That what winning and success does (unless you are a pathetic Red Sox (Pre-2005 WS) and Cubs fan who thrive on misery.)

McGrady has all of what Dream had. Intensity...drive...focus...heart and an ability to make those mediocre players around him better.

Just because players go is no reason to not be a fan. New players take there place and though it may take time, you'll get thet feeling back.

10. NewYorker

The Astros have come close at least....and they've had magical players and great runs. That's what made you a fan....the Clippers are just bad and never had anything to cheer for, thus no die-hard fans.

As for the Texans, it's because you believe they will be good.

11. NewYorker

Thanks teach...glad you care so much.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At least I am not a bandwagoner like you. Kind of ironic that you try so hard to shed that image by posting so much in this thread. People are looking right through you, though.

13. localalien

localalien Contributing Member

This is hilarious.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Bull**** - if you were really "rabid", you wouldn't have jumped off the bandwagon when the trade was made for Barkley.

Look, I hated Barkley as much as anyone but when he became a Rocket, I jumped up and down for joy because I knew he is what we needed to beat those damn Sonics. I also never cared for TMac - thought he was a punk. But when he became a Rocket, I started cheering for him. That is because I am a fan of the Houston Rockets team. Doesn't mean that there are players out there on other teams that I don't want to see do well. I have found myself becoming more and more an Amare Stoudemire fan and I have always liked Dwyane Wade's game even when he was at Marquette. But if the Rockets played the Suns or Heat in the playoffs, I am pulling for the Rockets.

And this garbage of management going out to get players to win championships....why don't you ask Atlanta Hawks fans and LA Clippers fans and Golden State Warrior fans if they are having a good time watching a team miss the playoffs year after year after year??

The years 2000 to 2004 were absolutely the hardest years I have ever had to endure as a Rockets fan. Nothing blows more than seeing your team miss the playoffs 4 years in a row.

But thanks for the laugh, what. You are a good stress reliever - please post more ridiculous threads here.

15. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

BOO URNS!!

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Just put him on Ignore - it is a lot less painful, trust me.

17. qiumi

qiumi Member

Very hard to imagine a legit fan with a name "what".

18. what

what Member

I had to post on that one. Even my name becomes grist for the mill. Honestly, I am not playing a joke on you guys.

Early this morning I read raven lunatic's post, and didn't realize I hadn't freshned myself up, and before I knew it, I almost made me pass out when my stank breath came creeping out of my mouth as I laughed uncontrolablly.

The reason I picked "what" as a moniker was that I wanted it to be something rhetorical, but I can't now remember what was rhetorical about it, similar to a former poster on this board that you guys I'm sure you know about, heypartner.

Anyway, I am glad to see that this has somewhat become a discussion. As I look back at what I wrote and some of the posts directed me to this line of thought, I think that I could have titled this thread why I am not a fan of the nba, for most of what I don't like about the rockets applies to every team that tries to win a championship these days, and that my affection for detroit had only to do with the style of play and nothing more, for they as much as anybody use current nba ideas to add players and build teams.

Kevin

19. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

why does this thread even have 1 star. Dont tell me some of you guys actually agree with "what".

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

What about the style of play of the Sacramento Kings? They share the ball. They subjugate stardom for the betterment of the team. How about the New Orleans Hornets? They actually play a very unselfish brand of basketball- if you watch the NBA closely, they play as together as do the Pistons. The difference? The Pistons players are more talented. Period.

It's all about winning. Don't kid yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.