1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I Am No Longer A Rockets Fan - A Revelation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by what, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Real love is sticking with it through the thick and thin.

I can understand what you are saying about identifying with a certain player or style of basketball, and anyone who has read some of my posts regarding the current era of basketball knows how much I dislike the direction in which the league is moving, I too identified with the early 1990s NBA, and felt like those teams played it "the right way". Still, there are a few teams left in this league that still do it "the right way" and play with unselfishness and heart/toughness that we haven't seen from the Rockets in a long time. I like Detroit and Indiana and even Philly too, but I would only root for them if the Rockets are not a Houston team anymore. These guys have showed commitment and heart this year, and it is only right that we stick by them and support them. It is OK to vent your frustration or anger when your team loses, but it is not OK to just abandon them.

However, I have to commend you on your honesty, and I don't like the fact that some people are asking you to "just leave the board" or to get away from this forum, I wouldn't mind having a discussion centered around the points you made, I sense that there is a part of you that wants to "come back home" and root for this team again, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this cry for help. So we are here to counsel you;)

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think that resonates with most fans as well, I think the individuals making up a team are very important for the fans, just ask Philly fans if they care whether or not Iverson ever wins a ring, they still absolutely worship the guy, and I can't blame them for doing so, because he certainly is a champion whether he ever wins it all or not.

However, championships DO mean something, I think Jazz fans would tell you that while they loves having Stockton and Malone for all those years, they never got fully what they wanted, and that was a championship banner. Believe me, if Hakeem hadn't won at least one ring, he wouldn't have been as revered as he is now, despite that he was the same person and the same player pre or post championships.

But again, I understand your point, I always feel like the type of players we have had this season was really the reason why I became that much more attached to the Rockets. I found myself cheering for guys like Bob Sura, David Wesley, Jon Barry, and especially Deke more than I was cheering for our stars, because I felt like they were the hreat and soul of this team, and they brought their all every night, and gave this team that "me against the world" mentality that every basketball fan covets.

My contention is this: if you aren't a fan of this current Rockets team and the characters on our roster, then you are not a Rockets fan, period!

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I have to say that since the Hakeem era, i don't get as worked up or as beaten down about the Rockets. They are still my team...but I'm more of a fan of Basketball overall now.

I think it's just hard....there was something just magical about the teams back then...the kind of cinderalla or perenial underdog that just really captured your heart...

4. rvpals

rvpals Member

AI is never a champion until he won a championship. He's a winner all the way.

5. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Who on this current Piston's team is more lovable than our two stars, T-Mac and Yao? If you don't care about them, then you're definitely not a Rockets fan. I suggest you go find a pistons BBS and enjoy your time there.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Short and straight to the point... End this topic now!

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I agree

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

So you like the Detroit Pistons now, eh? Big fan of the New England Patriots, too? Get out of here, bandwagon fan. The Rockets are my team for life. Having a big drama-queen crisis because playelrs get traded is nuts. Trades, firings and losses are part of the deal. Being a fan when Hakeem Olajuwon was in his prime leading teams to a city's first championship is not a sign of being a fan. It's a sign that you lived in Houston during the 90's. Big "revelation," dude. Go admire the Pistons and stay off the Rockets bandwagon the next time it rolls around. Wouldn't want to hurt your feelings next time...

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You know, I don't really mind you coming in and saying you're a fan of players more than you are the team (which is all you're saying), but the best laugh I can get out of this is that :

1) You come onto a Rockets fan board and state you are no longer a Rockets fan
    2) You come on and say that it was because of something that happened, what? Eight years ago? It took you 8 years to realize you were following the wrong team?

In case you hadn't noticed, Yao Ming was drafted by the Rockets and is still biding his time and evolving. But, you obviously don't want to be a part of that.

So what in your definition of why you quit being a Rockets fan do you find in being a Pistons fan?

Is it the coach that has been there for years as a player, a scout, an assistant, and summarily a coach for the same team? Oh wait, Larry Brown isn't that - hell, he hops from team to team when he knows he can't get anything else out of a team.

Is it the center who went to college in the city, was drafted by a team in the city, and worked his butt off to become a champion for years in the city? Oh, well, no, that can't be it because Ben Wallace makes his home in Virginia, was drafted by the Magic, and traded to Detroit.

Is it Darko Milicic who will lead you to the promised land in the future? Haha. Ok, let me be serious...

Is it Rip Hamilton maybe? Well no, he was drafted by the Wizards and sent to the Pistons.

Your post is weak, your reasoning is weaker, and your believing that you're a fan is truly the weakest.

Go 'way.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

what....

you've just been DUNKED.

:D:D

11. what

what Member

I like the pistons' style of play. It matches the beat of the city. Of course, like you said, they are a put together team, but the team they put together aren't built on super stars, so I find the way they play is the right way, team basketball. But of course I don't really follow them either. I just drew a measure of satisfaction from them beating the lakers, because of the way they did it.

I find that there are very few superstars in the league I really identify with. Actually, they're only two: tim duncan and Allen Iverson, but especially Iverson. The guy has galvanized that city. He is the ultimate underdog, which I like very much.

Why post this on a rockets board? Well, because for one I didn't see this board as simply for rockets fans, and two, my experiences with this was the houston rockets.

I'm sorry if you find what I wrote beyond posting. It won't happen again I promise you that. I rarely post here anyway, and I can see that I am not welcome.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

After the season this team had, with all the trades and controversy early, you decide to jump off the bandwagon...I'd have to say that you aren't or never have been truly a Rockets and Rockets only fan. You sound like a bandwagoner, only more of a long term bandwagoner...I wouldn't have thought that until you talked about the Pistons.

I like watching the Pistons too, I respect them a lot. I believe they will win it all again this year. Reggie Miller is my favorite non-rocket player of all time, and I follow the Pacers every year in the playoffs. But first and foremost, I am a Rockets fan. I'm trying not to make this personal, just stating what I think.

Just do us all a favor and don't come crawling back when the Rockets reach an elite level once again.

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Good, quit saying you're going to go away and just do it. Thank you.

14. rvpals

rvpals Member

I disagreed that Piston is made up with no super stars. Any one of these guys on the starting 5 in Piston should be considered super stars. You got Rasheed Wallace, hell of a player who is allstar caliber; Ben Wallace - all star; Rip Hamilton, Chauncey Billup all all star worthy, an energy guy with the skill and athleticism of Tayshun Prince, who could be an all star in many teams. Only people that buy into the media's hype would believe that Pistons are underdogs, I think they're the favorite to win it all again this year.

AI with the talent & heart he has is not a underdog in my definition either.

15. declan32001

declan32001 Member

from what:
    Ok, this thread is obviously bogus. You like "the big fundamental" but AI's your guy? AI, I really respected a lot more this year than when he won the mvp, but I don't buy into your posts.

16. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Who cares w h a t you think.

go away peacefully

17. SunsRocketsfan

YES I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE POST.. WHO THE F do you think YOU ARE.. WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT WHAT YOU THINk.. I SURE AS HELL DONT.. . DONT POST MEANINGLESS THREADS>. you are ALL BUT ONE LITTLE TINY MEANINGLESS PERSON.. NO ONE CARES>> JUST GO AWAY ADN DONT POST ON A ROCKETS FAN BASE WHEN YOU ARE NOT A ROCKETS FAN. JUST GO AWAY> STOP TRYING TO GET ATTENTION FOR URSELF U LOSER

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Hallelujah!

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It's very obvious. You lost your youth. Happens to everyone. Luv Ya Blue and Hakeem's Rockets represent your youth, your vitality, the "good old days," etc. If you don't get on the bandwagon now, trust me, you're gonna wish you did during the mid-years.

20. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Pardon, but WTF is all that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.