1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why I Am No Longer A Rockets Fan - A Revelation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by what, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Sorry you feel this way. Disallusion is a sobering thing. I watched the Rockets when they played at Hofhienz. I know some years their attitudes and demenour, their lack of credability, causes my interest to wane. I can truthfuly say, something in this current edition lit me up in a way I had not since the very last days of the Barkley-Drexler mess. ( I am not blaming either party. Some times it just doesn't work out) I really appreciate the heart and soul that jon barry, wesley, mike james in his own way, sura, the three headed power forward, and tmac and Yao, ( these 2 actually less then the other guys), puts on their hard hats, pulls on their boots and get after it. Not always prety but always appreciated. So, I am damn excited that many of them will be back, and I love coach also.

so root for detroit, but don't come running back here next year when we hit the second round talking about how great they suddenly are.

best wishes ! and goodbye.....

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Pretty much what I was thinking bud!

You know what if this guy like the Piston then go post on the Pistons boards. I have no problem with them and I think you'll find more people you can discuss Piston things with.

For me, crappy team, great team, they are my team. I have been a life long Rocket fan and that will never change.

Mostly anyone who becomes my friend will be converted into a Rocket fan.

So "what" we'll see you in the future, no doubt, when the wagon can't hold anymore people......

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

You HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT.
    IF YOU CHOOSE TO GIVE UP THAT RIGHT, ANYTHING YOU SAY MAY BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW.

Or the court of public opinion in this case. We are on this board because we are TRUE fans. I hated the damned Barkley trade because I think it sacrificed our future for one or two season. Hell, I hated the Randy Johnson trade even more because the cost was too high to pay for a 3 month rental. I think signing Clemens at 18 million and letting Beltran go was a monumental mistake. Rarely do moves or trades like that work where your future is sacrificed for one season but I never waivered from being a fan and being loyal of either team. I didn't abandon the Oilers until the moving trucks backed into the door. I will support them no matter what bonehead moves I think they make because I am a loyal fan. When the Rockets win again, I and most everyone here will be on the "bandwagon" because we never got off when the wagon hit a bump in the road and there won't be any room for you to get back on! You are now a Detroit fan as far as Clutch Fans are concerned and can stay there or move there because you were never a Rocket fan to begin with. Continue to post here as we welcome posts from other teams fans, just don't say you were ever a Rocket fan or might be one again in the future.

4. what

what Member

I don't think many of you actually read my post apart from I'm no a Rockets fan anymore, or maybe you read in to what I wrote more than was actually there, or even still maybe I didn't make myself clear enough or point up what needed to be pointed up.

How can anyone consider me a bandwagoner? My definition of that is a person who becomes a fan when a team begins to seriously challenge for a title, which the rockets are now on the cusp of. I explained that I followed the rockets from 87 on until barkley. I have also explained that I couldn't care less if the rockets won a championship during the hakeem years, just as I now say I couldn't care less if the current rockets win a chamionship, because the players don't interest me.

If anything, I am a fan of players. And that makes me a bandwagoner. So be it.

I don't see how what I said is any different from what many of you said that you will stop being a fan of the rockets -- only if they leave the city of houston. So what, that means you aren't a fan of the rockets, but the city of houston. You say, "well, at least I never abandon the rockets, they abandoned me." And now those same players you root for are the enemey when another team comes to houston, like the titians.

EVEN THOUGH THE PLAYERS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MOVE.

So as I see it, some of you aren't rockets fans, but houston fans, which is cool, but I don't think that that makes you a better fan than me.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not that difficult :

You cheer for your team : the Houston Rockets.
    Team leaves and becomes : the Mexico City Rockets.

Many fans stop cheering because they are no longer "the Houston Rockets".

If you cheer for a team, more often than not, it started because that team was a part of your city. Some, like you, cheer for players and can easily hop from team to team being a fan - aka, riding the bandwagon. I don't relate to that. I am not necessarily a Houston fan, nor am I necessarily a Rockets fan. I am a Houston Rockets fan.

6. unosigma

unosigma Contributing Member

Bleed Rockets or go home!!! No matter how bad some of the teams have been you can alway find something to cheer about. I think we are a couple of steps from dominating the league. Then you will be back talking about how much you love the Rockets. It is simple you can't be on top if there is no bottom. We have hit rock bottom and are about to be on top of the league again!

7. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Well spoken Doctor of Dunks. My love for Houston and the Rockets is why I can't cheer for the Spurs even though I am in San Antonio, and why I didn't cheer for the Mavericks when I lived in Dallas.

Houston is still home.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

it was at this point that i thought you would say "And now I am once again a Rockets fan because I see that with Ming!!!."

you should have said it. you could have instantly become the opiate of the masses.

9. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I live in Dallas, and before that Harrisburg, PA, and before that the Tampa area and I grew up in the armpit of Houston at Mac Arthur High School. When I left Houston, we didn't have a football team. I lived in Tampa and they were the champs. I guess you could say i was a free agent fan and could root for who I wanted. Hell, the champs were right there in 2002 and they were dominant each year before. All i had to do was jump on the bandwagon. I chose to sit and watch the website of the Texans so i could see which scrubs they would sign to their practice squad and watch the website clock count down the days and hours until kickoff 2002. I drove to Philly to watch the Texans get waffled and to Pittsburgh to watch them punk them. Not one time in all those places or all those teams (all at the top of their games at the time) have I ever rooted for their teams. I rooted for my teams and counted the days until Houston had a team so i could start to root for a team again. I don't root for my daughter's high school team because I can't root for another High school other than Big Red. If the rockets move to China, they are now China's team and I will patiently wait for our new team and root my ass off for that new team. I am one of the few, the proud, the Native Houstonians and though i don't live there, my teams will always be there because I don't have a band wagon heart and that is where true fans root from!!!!!!!!!!!

10. declan32001

declan32001 Member

What, if you'd titled this thread differently more people would have gone easier on you. I know a lot of people that aren't sold on this team, and much of what you discussed orginally were issues that many of us hated too.

It's just ironic you posted it after this past season. Half this board was pulling it's hair out over last year's team.

11. localalien

localalien Contributing Member

Basketball isn't music, it's a sport, and you play it for one reason: to win the whole enchilada as many freakin' times as you can. You don't "sell out to chase championships".

This is just bizarre. You get joy from suffering? You need to see a shrink.
    And waxing nostalgic about the Oilers is pathetic.

Basically, you don't come on a board full of people who BLEED ROCKET RED and post this kind of long-winded, pretentious crap talking about how you don't like the Rockets! What were you thinking???!!!!!

I've been a fan even before you became one, and I suffered with the team for years. But I suffered because I wanted the Rockets to win the title. Again, and again, and again. Until we had as many freaking banners in the Summit as they had in the Boston Garden. So we, in Houston or wherever, as Rocket fans, who were snickered at and got zero respect, yes we true fans, could sit back and enjoy as the rest of the world got it stuffed up their collective rear end. Because we were winners. Finally. That takes HEART and CHARACTER. Not losing.

There I've ranted and I feel better.

Please go away now.

Go Rockets.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yes, you followed them from 1987, the year after they made the Finals. Hmm.

Hmm, you're a fan of the Detroit Pistons. Hmm.

How about this- root for the Los Angeles Clippers, or Atlanta Hawks, or New Orleans Hornets. There's the TRUE test of not being a "bandwagon" fan.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Bunk! Oh, so is ownership supposed to NOT pursue winning championships? So they're not supposed to make the Barkley trade because they don't want the team to do better?

I'm sorry, but even though on the surface, this seems noble, it is really disguised pretentiousness. If that's the case, why weren't you made when the Rockets traded for Otis Thorpe? How about the Kenny Smith trade? Apparently, you were following the Rockets back then- these trades were made between 1987 and 1994. Why weren't you angry at Rockets management for trading who we did for Otis Thorpe? Oh, because we weren't winning back then. So, it's OK for those trades with a non-championship 1988-1989-1990 Rockets, but it's not OK to make the OT trade with a championship team? And the championships don't matter?

How ridiculous. You can like who you want, but please don't try to justify it with logic, b/c that's just not cutting it. Teams don't sell out when they trade players. That's part of the business. There was a reason we didn't trade Hakeem in 1992- and believe me, it wasn't about loyalty. It was about value.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I print threads like this and wipe my ass with them...

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You do know that Detroit's "ragtag" bunch wasn't drafted by the Pistons and grew together as a team right? Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Corliss Williamson, Mike James, Richard Hamilton, none of those guys were drafted by the Pistons and then stayed with the Pistons to suffer through the bad times and grow to something special. And then, this year's Piston's squad, added Antonio McDyess, another guy that wasn't drafted by the team.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hey nWo, I feel you man. For those of you lucky enough to be in Houston, what nWo says is true. They are STILL ragging on how Avery's small ball worked against the two-man team of the Rockets. And believe me, it is a very irratating thing to listen to day in and day out. But I'm OK with this because it doesn't even phase me after all I've been through with this team.

What is certainly entitled to his opinion but to me, he's such a baby. He has no concept of what heartbreak means with this team. I was a Rockets fan when they had trouble drawing more than 200 people to games in Hoheinz Pavilion and it looked like they were going to fold. I was a Rockets fan when they traded Elvin Hayes to the Bullets where he won a championship. I was a Rockets fan when they let Moses Malone walk away in free agency to Philly where he won a championship with Dr. J. I was a Rockets fan when they were so desperate to get people to come to the games in the Summit, they would let you in for $5 and a Rainbow bread package. I was a Rockets fan when Kermit Washington crushed Rudy T's face and he nearly died. I was a Rockets fan when they literally wasted years on players like Rudy White who never amounted to anything.

My point is that all teams not named Boston, Chicago & LA have checkered histories with regard to the winning of championships. Come to think of it, these days even those 3 suffer from the same things you say are wrong with the Rockets. True fans don't follow a team just because of its won-loss record (unless it's LA ;) ) - they do so because said team is a part of their identity.

A little over 10 years ago, I saw Hakeem on the court when he realized that he had just won his first championship. I will never forget the stunned look on his face as if he couldn't believe he'd done it nor will I forget the euphoria that surged through myself and all of the long suffering Rockets fans when Gene Peterson declared "Houston, your Rockets are NBA Champions. How Sweet It IS!" I thought that NOTHING could top that feeling until a year later when I watched Clyde & Hakeem embrace in the middle of the court and heard Rudy T declare "Never Underestimate the heart of a champion!" I want to feel that way again before I check out and I believe truly believe that I will one day soon becuase the Houston Rockets are my team.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Why did I just read all this?

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm curious....

Why does this thread have 1 freaking star?

Who are the rejects that voted it to be 1 star?

19. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Because deep down inside, you love all of us :D

20. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

A. Where you are right: If you took the 1995 Rockets, that exact same team, and moved the team to Las Vegas, kept all the players the same, same coach - I'd still root for them. But, once the players were gone...I'd stop rooting for them. It is the players in that case, because they were a special group of players that were ADORED.

B. Where you are wrong: I don't even live in Houston anymore, and frankly, I don't even like Houston all that much. But when the Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans, I stopped rooting for them. Maybe I stopped after Warren Moon left, but then again, I kept rooting for the Rockets post-Hakeem! Point is, it is the city. I wouldn't live in Houston, but I woudn't be a Rockets fan if the team moved either. My connection to this team is weaker then the older one, even if this one wins a couple of rings, because that team was really special, and growing up in H-town the frustration of always losing was big...those guys broke our curse after all.

And Frankly, you're whole line about not caring if the Rockets won anything during the Hakeem era smacks of insincerity. You are a bandwagoner by your own admission too...just look at the fact that you became a fan in 87 the year after they went to the finals!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.