1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will start at Power Forward when the Season Starts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 29, 2012.

?

Who will win the starting Power Forward spot in Training Camp?

1. Patrick Patterson

361 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. Donatas Motiejunas

174 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Royce White

9 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Terrence Jones

35 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

When Luis Scola was a rookie he did not start right away but the Rockets had an incumbent starter at the Power Forward spot from the previous season in Chuck Hayes.

Chase Budinger was the starting Small Forward at the beginning of last season instead of Chandler Parsons but chase was the incumbent starter from the previous season so obviously he had a chance to start.

Both Scola and Parsons eventually started in their rookie years. I think had the starting position of Power Forward been an open competition in training camp during Scola’s rookie season he would have won it from day one. Because of the lack of any off-season I’m not so sure that Chandler would have won a starting spot from game won but who knows. The point is that there was no open competition for the Small Forward spot going into Chandler’s rookie season and there was not open competition for the Power Forward spot in Scola’s rookie season.

But unlike those other two scenarios, there will be an open competition for the Power Forward spot on the Rockets. There is no incumbent starter and no free agent was signed with the intent of handing over the position to him. There are four obvious candidates as of this point: Patrick Patterson, Donatas Motiejunas, Royce White and Terrence Jones. There are reasons that any of them could win the starting position.

1. Patrick Patterson – 6’9” 233 lbs and 23 years old. He has two seasons on the team as a rotation player.

Strengths:
    - Good outside shot
    - Solid defender

Weakness:
    - Not aggressive, tends to disappear on the court
    - Does not like to rebound
    - Avoids trying to score in the post for lack of confidence or post moves.

Some of Pats issues could be related to his off-season ankle injury. He showed very good athleticism as a rookie but not as a sophomore. He appeared to regress in his second season. We will see if a fully healed ankle can put him back on the path he appeared to be on as a rookie.

2. Donatas Motiejunas – 7’0” 222 lbs and 21 years old. Rookie in the NBA but a veteran of professional basketball in Europe.

Strengths:
    - Great post moves with both hands
    - Solid pick and roll defense
    - Very aggressive
    - Very good offensive rebounder
    - Good outside shot that extends out to 3pt range
    - Runs the floor great for a 7 footer
    - Outstanding height for a power forward
    - Aggressively chases the rebound on the offensive end

Weakness:
    - Will get pushed around by stronger power forwards in the post
    - Needs to be a better defensive rebounder
    - Lack of NBA experience

Donatas has great length for a power forward and plays with a very high motor. He is constantly working on the floor with or without the ball. He ran Meyers Leonard out of the gym in the summer league game against Portland.

3. Royce White 6’8” 270 lbs and 21 years old. NBA rookie and only one year of college ball after he sat out a year.

Strengths:
    - Most nights will be the strongest man on the court
    - Has point guards skills in power forwards body
    - Can handle the ball extremely well in the open court
    - Highly advanced running the fast break
    - Very good rebounder

Weakness:
    - Sometimes turns the ball over trying to make the spectacular play
    - Outside shot
    - Free Throw shooting
    - Suspect defender out on the floor
    - Difficult time getting his shot off in the post against taller players

Royce is the ultimate team player who would rather get an assist helping his teammate score 40 than to score himself. Strong as hell but he is not ideal height for a power forward. His strength appears to be grabbing a defensive rebound and leading the fast break.

4. Terrence Jones 6’9” 250 lbs and 20 years old. No NBA experience and only 2 years of college experience.

Strength:
    - Great NBA body that is ready right now
    - Very good rebounder
    - Can handle the ball on the perimeter
    - Runs the floor well
    - Very active scoring around the basket
    - Solid defender
    - Shooting range out to the 3pt line

Weakness: ?

I tried to think of a weakness for Terrence but I’m having difficulty. His lack of NBA experience? It was rumored that he may have an inconsistent motor but we really did not see that at the summer games. He does a lot of things really good but not necessarily great. Good post moves but not as good as Donatas. Good passer but probably not as good Royce. Having said that he does not have the weaknesses that those two have.

Many think Pat is the hands down choice to start the season as the power forward because of his NBA experience. I don’t think so unless he takes a giant step forward from last season. Terrence could do it but it but I think when the Rockets play their first regular season game, Donatas Motiejunas will be the name called out as the starting power forward. I think this because of his already developed game and his great height and very good athleticism. Pairing a pair of athletic 7 footers (Asik and DMo) I think will be too much for McHale to pass up. While Motiejunas is going to get manhandled in the paint, Asik will be there to help him. DMo’s pick and roll defense will make him useful on defense while his offensive skills will help to offset the lack of offense at the Center and Small Forward spots.

Edit

#1 crash5179, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Have to think McHale will go with Patterson to start the season, a la Budinger.

3. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Definitely Patterson if the Rockets stand pat.

If he's gone in a trade? I can't say. Would probably let the rooks fight for it in the training camp. I'd think Motiejunas would come out on top, with the experience he's had overseas.

4. QazQay

QazQay Member

Jon Brockman.

5. QazQay

QazQay Member

As far as Terrence Jones' weakness, it is interesting because he is such a well rounded player. I would say his shooting could stand improvement.

6. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Which is why I think that between him, D-Mo, and Patterson there just aren't enough minutes.

I think that P-Pat will start the year off at the 4 slot, by the end of the season I think it will be D-Mo and T. Jones splitting time. Whether Patterson is in a Rockets uniform or not.

Because one would have to think that T.Jones' floor is about where Patrick is now, and his ceiling could be somewhere in the C.Webb mold (athletic, good rebounder, good mid-range, good court vision) so with that being said unless P-Pat improves I think he could have a very difficult time holding on to his job.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

Big Baby. Book it.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Will Terence Jones turn out like that other Terence guy we had the past couple of years?

9. alethios

alethios Member

It will be...

Power Forward by committee

10. jocar

jocar Member

Whoever finishes the pick and roll best with Lin

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think Jones's weakness is that he's not GREAT at anything. He's good to very good at everything but doesn't stand out at any one thing.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jajuan Johnson

13. pass_to_Hakeem

It will be Patrick Patterson's spot to lose and rightfully so

14. pass_to_Hakeem

Hmmm I don't know about any C Webb comparisons. Not yet anyway...

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Two trains of though on this.
    1. Chandler Parsons did not have an off season to really challange Chase who had two years experience on him.
    2. It was not an open compitition ging into training camp as Chase was the incumbent starter.

There will be open compitition for the power forward spot this season.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

PPat for now. Hopefully he develops as he was suppose to from which rookie season highlights hinted at. If not, I see Donuts moving in to starting rotation.

17. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

I think it will become D-Mo from the start of the season

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Patrick Patterson's game reminds of Joe Smith in his rookie Year at Golden State.

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Yi Jianlian.

no, Donuts

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Yep. Glen Davis.