1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will start at Power Forward when the Season Starts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 29, 2012.

?

Who will win the starting Power Forward spot in Training Camp?

1. Patrick Patterson

361 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. Donatas Motiejunas

174 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Royce White

9 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Terrence Jones

35 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Patterson or Motiejunas.

White has a few too many deficiencies, defensively and is a mediocre shooter. Jones needs a season of pro experience, most likely.

2. redlawn

redlawn Member

^^ This.

In a PF, you generally want someone that can score efficiently, rebound, and defend. I think Patterson will start the season, but White will eventually win the spot mostly because, out of all the PF, he'll be able to score most efficiently and rebound most effectively.

I get the feeling that Jones will actually move over to the 3 and be competing with Parsons for the starting 3 spot. He might even have the edge on Parsons as the season progresses. It's tough to call; both are great prospects.

For some reason, I'm not entirely sure of D-Mo as a starter, the biggest reason being his defense and rebounding ability. I feel like this is an essential department for a PF, and am not a big fan of the Chris Bosh molds (can score, but underwhelming on D and rebounds). However, this may be entirely moot if Asik is as great on defense as I think he'll be or if D-Mo is at a Dirk-like level or close to it.

3. ClKent

ClKent Member

Jones is just more talented than Patterson is. That is just plain fact. Patterson has not hit his ceiling and at the same time is not growing. Jones has yet to scratch the surface and may already be better than Patterson. At some point I fully expect for Jones to be in the starting lineup if Donuts has not beaten him to it.

4. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Patrick Patterson has a lot of work

http://spacecityscoop.com/2012/08/04/patricks-patterson-has-a-lot-of-work-to-do/

Slow sports day but I love P. Pat...Let the b****ing, whinning and complaining commence...

5. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

I'm consistently fascinated with how underrated this guy's jumper is.

6. AFS

AFS Member

Definitely has a great jumper, but I agree with the article that PPat needs to be stronger down low.

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Yeah his skills summarized in one sentence, "He is the Jack of all trades, yet master of none". It seems as though he does a lot of things good or maybe even pretty good, but until he does something GREAT I think he will struggle to find starters minutes.

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well, it was Dirk level....his rookie season. Last season, it was about as reliable as Jordan Hill's jumpshot.

9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

In terms of consistent scoring, he could take over Luis and be that guy you always expect to put up 15-20 points a game and 7-8 rebounds. Just have to see if he can take that next step.

10. AXG

AXG Member

I think Patterson tried too hard to be another Scola at times. Granted Scola has a nice finesse game but he doesn't have the length or athleticism that Patterson does. PatPat should use his gifts and play more of a big man game.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh, bleacher report article

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Really, Carl? I thought it was a realistic picture of last year's Patterson, reflecting essentially all of the fans' complaints irt to his game.

13. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Then don't read it. Don't reply . You think ppl care about your opinion cause you've been posting for thirty years? You think you're clever because you have a funny name? Am I suppose to respect you because of your rating? Cause I don't. This is a fan made forum driven by opinions. You had no opinion to leave. If you come across something that you don't like on here instead of wasting key strokes, save your yank hand for later and move on...

14. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

He just needs to slow down, he looked rushed at times. Many times watching him last year, he was just execute his move so quickly and just went back on defense regardless if he made it or not. He also needs to develop a knack for looking for contact. More free throws couldn't hurt him.

15. Carl Herrera

Meh, bleacher report post.

1 person likes this.
  16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

LOL Ninja! What happened to txsports? Couldn't find it anymore.

17. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Meh, worthless douche...

18. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Wtf are you talking about?

19. Carl Herrera

It is the same thing that everyone here has been talking about repeatedly when it comes to Patterson. Plenty of posts and threads covering the same topic have already been made. A bleacher report guy deciding to write about the same thing doesn't really add much of anything, thus the "meh" reaction.

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Anyway, i still think PPatt will end up in Orlando.