1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will start at Power Forward when the Season Starts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 29, 2012.

?

Who will win the starting Power Forward spot in Training Camp?

1. Patrick Patterson

361 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. Donatas Motiejunas

174 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Royce White

9 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Terrence Jones

35 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

it should definitely be patterson. he know he has to step his game up this coming season because of all this competition. I expect him to keep that starting role too. We should have a solid bench with possibly Dmo, jones, and white

2. pass_to_Hakeem

Right.... Like I said just now on another reply .. By your logic Patterson wasn't mentioned as a starter but neither was Jones or D Mo

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Does Jones have any post moves? Have not seen much of him.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

For people who don't think this is Patterson's spot -- how often do rookies, in general, have a starter's job on Day 1? I looked at last season's rookie class (I know, not a great class, and no preseason, etc) and the 17 guys who averaged more than 20 mpg (to get an idea of who was playing starter's minutes, at least). Only Kyrie Irving, the #1 pick on a very bad team, started in the first game. We have a very bad team, but we don't have a 1st overall pick. Unless your rookie is the franchise player the moment he's drafted, coaches don't throw them out to the wolves on opening night. If last season is an aberration, bombard me with a list of non-superstar rookies who started in their first game.

McHale will start Patterson because he's been around the block. He wants D-Mo, Jones, and White to get acclimated first. I also think people have a short memory -- Patterson had a good rookie year and a sophomore slump that might have been caused by injury. I have as much or more hope that Patterson has a good season as I do that the rookies will.

Here are the rookies last year who did not start the first game, despite being pretty good:

Ricky Rubio, PG
    Brandon Knight, PG
    MarShon Brooks, G
    Iman Shumpert, G
    Chandler Parsons, F
    Kemba Walker, PG
    Isaiah Thomas, PG
    Klay Thompson, G
    Kawhi Leonard, SF
    Tristan Thompson, F
    Bismack Biyombo, C
    Kenneth Faried, F
    Chris Singleton, SF
    Derrick Williams, F
    Donald Sloan, PG
    Gustavo Ayon, PF

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Well, if Patterson does start, wouldn't it be safe to say he will probably be the worst starting PF in the NBA? Nobody worse comes to mind.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That is why it is an open competition. If Pat wins it will be because he out played the rookies in camp and pre-season not because he was annoited the starter in July. This is not a hard concept to grasp.

7. crash5179

That statement implies that he is currently the starter. Scola was the starter but now he is gone. There is no incumbent starter at Power Forward on the team.

8. craguin

craguin Member

He (PPat) would be one of the worst, but probably not the worst given that there were other forwards last year that had more starts and even worse numbers.

2011-2012 stats:

Channing Frye (Suns) - 59 GS, 26.1 MPG, 10.5 PPG, 5.9 RPG
    James Johnson (Raptors) - 40 GS, 25.2 MPG, 9.1 PPG, 4.7 RPG
    Patrick Patterson - 1 GS, 23.2 MPG, 7.7 PPG, 4.5 RPG
    Amir Johnson (Raptors) - 43 GS, 24.3 MPG, 7.1 PPG, 6.4 RPG
    Ed Davis (Raptors) - 9 GS, 23.2 MPG, 6.3 PPG, 6.6 RPG
    Gustavo Ayon (Hornets) - 24 GS, 20.1 MPG, 5.9 PPG, 4.9 RPG
    Tyrus Thomas (Bobcats) - 30 GS, 18.8 MPG, 5.6 PPG, 3.7 RPG

9. crash5179

That is why it is an open competition. There is currently no starter. It will be decided in camp and pre-season. If you think PPat will win the competition then fine, I'm sure there are valid points for that argument.

To say PPat is currently the starter and it's his position to lose is not a fact. Don't be so defensive sheesh.... Who are you Pats agent?

10. crash5179

1. How many teams had a returning starter at a position where there was legitimate rookie competition?

2. Last season was very difficult for rookies because of no off season and only a couple of pre season games.

3. This year the Rockets have no returning starter at the power forward position.

4. This year there will be a month of pre-season games for the rookies to show if they are better than pat or not.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Patterson is the logical choice; I picked Donuts. I look for him to "beast" in training camp and run away with the starting role.

#71 solid, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  12. damunkster

damunkster Member

ppat will be the starting pf not because he was here last yr but because he will be the best player on our team at that position

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If Pat goes all Carl Landry, he can own the position this year. Needs to take a big step.

14. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

DMo, Jones and White have great potential, but Pat2 is the best PF in the team at this moment. Both DMo and Jones can score better than Pat2, and White can make some magic passes as well, yet, NBA is not all about scoring and building up stat...

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Where is the Pau Gasol option in the poll???

16. crash5179

Try looking on a Lakers fan board :p

17. pass_to_Hakeem

LOL who is getting defensive???? I simply said common basketball knowledge would be Patterson will get the chance to start.. I don't see how you are even arguing this honestly... Because Morey said in a statement one day 4 of the starting 5 and he didn't mention Patterson??? That means he sucks? That means rookies will start in his place? That means its open competition? It's open competition at any position .. If you want to have the last word then have it.. Watch who starts game 1 though

18. crash5179

Right now Daryl Morey has penciled in Lin, Martin, Parsons and Asik as starters. We know this for a fact. They clearly have a starting job that is theirs to lose.

Patterson will be given a chance to start if he earns it in camp. Daryl Morey did not name a starter at Power Forward because it has not been decided who will start at Power Forward, how is this even a debate?

If you think Pat will win the starting job in camp then cool. The point of this thread was to discuss who we thought would start the season as the Rockets starting Power Forward precisely because it is the one position that is open for competition.

19. Rockets_4_life

I think Patterson will start at the beginning of the season, but I don't see him there for long. With Asik being our starting center, were going to need an offensive force at PF, and Patterson just isn't that. D-Mo despite being a rookie, already has a much more advance offensive game then Patterson. Which is why I believe that D-Mo's offensive arsenal just fits a lot better with Asik, then Patterson.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm not a huge Patterson fan but I don't hate him either but what's with all the t jones love? I want the guy to be a great player in the league and think he has potential to be a very good rotation player/starter. With that said I think it's crazy to expect jones to out produce pat in any aspect of the game next season other than possibly rebounding. I have seen most of jones college games the last two years and he for sure took a backseat to all the talent at kentucky and was more of a energy hustle player. His shot is not good I promise you guys this everything else he does quite well, but not great and this is why I think he will be a very good 25min rotation player. He's a hustle energy player who every championship team needs if I had to compare him to a player it would be Lamar odom. Long can handle the ball pass rebound kind of a jack of all trades who can fall in love with his jumper instead of taking it to the hole. Obviously if he could be lakers odom we would all be very happy but as of right now if he's the starter were in big trouble cause that means Dmo and white are not as good as we hoped.