1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next head coach for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His primary job is to be the liaison between the coaching staff and the owner... so of course he's going to be up in the owners box. He's front office, as he he was made to be in Denver.

However, they were never "his" drafts.

Wade pushed for Watt and Mercilus. Kubiak pushed for Hopkins and Cushing.

Mario Williams was drafted at Kubiak's reccomendation as he didn't want a QB and felt Bush wouldn't be vital as long as they had elite run blocking.

He is in charge of balancing the budget, and negotiating contracts. Cap hell comes from trying to keep the pro-bowl O-line, RB, WR, and QB intact. Most teams end up having to sacrafice something, even with prolonged success.

2. Summer Song Giver

I have trouble believing Wade was clamoring for Travardo Williams or Sam Montgomery or Gary for Keyshawn Martin, those are the types a good GM will git on occasionally and Smith rarely does.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sumlin has more important **** to do, leave him be.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guarantee you those players were drafted with more coaching input than figure-head GM input... and rightfully so.

Rick Smith did not build this team/system on his own, nor has he ever built any team/system.

Their best bet is to hire somebody who has constructed a winning franchise before... and somebody from this era (no Dan Reeves consulting or Charlie Casserly retreads).

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

[​IMG]

I know it isn't a popular opinion, but I'd be over the moon.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he had his heart set on it, sure... but he looks awfully comfortable away from the ridiculous grind that is being an NFL coach.

And again, no coach has ever won two super bowls with two different teams.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^Chuckie is going to Dallas -- I thought that was known. I'd give the team to Wade for a year and see what he could do -- but I just can't think of anyone else to take over the team.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wade is doing nothing to keep his DC job, let alone earn a promotion.

Wade has already shown what "he can do" on multiple other stops... it would be a disaster move from every standpoint (both football-wise and PR-wise).

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've felt the same way. I bring it up a lot, but he didn't want to fire Capers after the 2-14 season. But he felt like he had to. That he couldn't justify to the fans that he should be kept around.

With the reaction of Texans fans becoming national news stories, first with the guys at Schaub's house and now with them throwing ice and cheering Schaub's injury, I think Bob is feeling the pressure to make some serious changes again. I think it goes beyond Schaub to Kubiak. While Matt couldn't put it in the endzone today, we had 4 turnovers and none were his fault. We had a ton of penalties. We're 4-8 in our last 12. Our problem is bigger than Schaub and it's getting to the point where McNair can't justify keeping Kubiak around to the fans. Not when the team is ****ting the bed when they were supposed to be a Super Bowl contender.

I don't think it's a done deal yet. Kubiak is on the hot seat and is fighting to keep his job. But if he rights the ship and "builds momentum" :rolleyes: for next season, it's possible Bob will give him an extra year. But that seems unlikely at this point.

That also means that the team is going to purposely tank which also makes it unlikely that Kubes will play Keenum "just to see what will happen". Kubes is coaching for his job and isn't going to go with an "inknown commodity" (not smart).

10. Fiah

Fiah Member

Hell the Bears fired Lovie Smith after going 10-6. I think he would be one to look at.

11. Mariachi ROCKET

No more soft ass Aggies! Lol

12. xAliceInChains

If you get fired after going 10-6 I'd say that there were other deep seeded issues other than not winning more than 10 games, though that Bears team did choke

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm starting to warm up to a sumlin hire if it happens I think he could be a mike tomlin clone but opposite because he's a offensive guy but I think he could be another mike tomlin type of coach and I think the players would love a ethusiastic coach like sumlin harbrough brought the same thing to a 49er team now look at them

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Sumlin isn't really a aggie he's more of a cougar and I mean a houston cougar lol

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sumlin.... JFF..... Please .

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

i dont like Cowher, and about that superbowl, the refs gave him that superbowl with a lot of bad calls during the game.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I don't hate Kubiak. But there's no question he's become predictable. However, he's pretty limited when it comes to creativity because of Schaub, so I'd like to see what he could do with a more talented QB.

But, I understand and don't neccesaraly disagree with him not coming back next year. If he's gone, as much as I hated his Steelers I think Bill Cower would be great! Maybe David Show... Idk, just gotta wait and see who's available I guess.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

But soon he's gonna be a Trojan.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree. Schaub really limits the play calling. He can't run, and he can't throw deep, that doesn't leave much else to do.

I think it probably is best for kubiak to leave. I'm not crazy about bringing in some retread coach. Gruden would be a bad choice in my opinion. After winning the Super Bowl his first year in Tampa Bay he didn't do all that well. Plus, the guy is annoying as hell.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans bring in some guy I've never heard of if he knows his stuff. And please don't bring in Sumlin, he seems to be a defense killer.

20. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

I don't care who the next head coach is. I have no faith in the owner or management to replace him with a viable candidate anyway. I hope Kubiak gets fired and goes on to win a SB as an assistant for another team. I hope we trade JJ Watt so that he has a real chance to win for a team that truly cares and is dedicated to winning. This organization is run by idiots and is garbage.