1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next head coach for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He won a Super Bowl???

2. Major

Major Member

I don't know that that's true. For starters, coaches often have more success their 2nd time around (Pete Carroll, for example). But even then, here's Saban with the Dolphins:

2004: 4-12

Saban Hired

2005: 9-7
    2006: 6-10

Saban Leaves

2007: 1-15

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It will probably be a college guy... McNair has gone the coordinator route twice, and there's no real "head coach in waiting" on any NFL staff right now as there was when Kubiak was available. (hell, Dom Capers probably "deserves" another gig, but won't get one... same with Vic Fangio).

Additionally, the Harbaugh/Kelley (sort of) success is paving the way for more and more college coaches, provided they come from a real school (no Schiano's).

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

And how long did he coach the steelers? He he a pretty average coach

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

He is most likely gonna get the job if Kubiak is fired...

[​IMG]

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

That would be the least surprising move ever and a total Bob McNair move, ha.

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm not yet sold on Sumlin. I'd like to see how he does without a star-caliber QB first. That might occur next season if he stays at A&M and Manziel leaves for the NFL.

Losing interest in Dungy, Cowher and Gruden. The NFL is not the same as it was 5-10 years ago, especially on offense.

I'd be OK with Kyle Shanahan, especially if we can keep Wade Phillips as DC. Kyle has way more balls than Kubiak...IIRC during his tenure here as OK the playcalling was more aggressive and less predictable.

9. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Assuming Rick Smith stays around to pick the coach, wasn't there scuttlebutt a couple of years back that he liked Hue Jackson. Warmly welcome, Hue Jackson:(

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i was just tossing out names when i suggested sumlin.. what kind of coach is sumlin, i would rather have a guy who is a leader than an x's and o's guy like kubiak..

11. Raven

Raven Member

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He shouldn't be. He was a Kubiak hire. He should be out with the rest of the regime.

They will first hire a new personnel guy who will then pick the coach.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

JR you know that if you or I can predict that this would be a Bob McNair move, the likelyhood of it happening seems quite high...

PS...we need a new special teams coach by Monday morning

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You guys realize McNair will never make the decision himself.

He let Casserly hire Capers.

He let Dan Reeves consult him to hire his former protege backup QB in Kubiak.

He'll bring in a new VP/GM to make the hire here as well. Mike Holmgreen may want to make a few more $$$ and take over this regime after he was forced out in Cleveland.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Wade who makes McNair feel comfortable. He prefers familiarity over innovation, the exact opposite of Les Alexander.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This would be fine for the rest of the year, if we were still trying to salvage it which I imagine McNair is. But we really need fresh ideas, someone who can simply stay ahead of opponent minds. Kubiak and Schaub both fell off the horse this year. Other teams have figured out our gameplan; it's painfully evident, and now the test answers are being given out to the rest of the class. They know exactly when to bite on our passes and return them to the house.

We need a young guy to come in and just do things that other people aren't expecting. It can't be another conservative guy.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Why?

Rick Smith has done his job, he has gotten the team a good number of talented players on both offense and defense. Within the last 3 seasons the only personnel decision of question (excluding resigning Schaub because at least he is cheap and easy to get rid of after this season) is cutting Holliday to sign a extra backup Offensive Guard that never played on the active roster.

Just because he came in with Kubiak and has history with him, doesn't mean that Smith should or would go with Kubiak if/when he is let go. Heck, Smith might be able to make the transition easier for whoever they wind up signing in adapting the returning roster to the new style of offense or defense.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because he's a figure-head.

Not only did he come in with Kubiak... he was HIRED by Kubiak.

He initially hand-picked all of Kubiak's players and Kubiak's preference for staff, including the awful run of defensive coordinators we had. There is not a single move made without the blessing or suggestion of Kubiak. Smith can handle the contract stuff, but he's not making any personnel decisions without Kubiak's blessing. His main responsibility has always been handling the salary cap and contract negotiations.

Its no coincidence that most of our initial players in this regime had Colorado/Denver ties.

Its not akin to the Rockets situation where Morey drafts all the players and McHale does the coaching. Its also not like the previous regime where Casserly was in charge of all personnel and staff. Kubiak is the man in charge... and if he goes, Smith will no longer hold his figure-head job.

They'll hire another consultant... or they'll just hire the new president/GM who will then hire the head coach of his choice.

#58 Nick, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

That's just ****ing stupid.

20. Summer Song Giver

Yea he was a Kubiak hire but now he's chilling in the owner's box with uncle Boob, he may have moved right on by Gary on the ole corporate ladder. I hope not but I could see him stick around post Kubiak, I certainly hope not because I feel his drafts have been bad outside the first round where you should always get a pretty good player and he has us in cap hell every year with very little to show for it.