1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next head coach for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they can’t salvage this season, I hope McNair’s perspective is larger than that and that he evaluates Kubiak on the basis that this has been a playoff-caliber team since 2009 – five seasons – and they’ve been only twice. To me, that’s the most stinging indictment of his tenure.

In terms of who might be next… I hope they don’t bring anybody out of mothballs (although Dungy would intrigue me…). This game evolves so quickly – and not just on the field. How you relate and prepare your team is so vital, and I’d be worried that a guy like Cowher, who’s been living high off the hog for 8 years now, isn’t in touch with the current environment.

I want a young, uber-confident guy who will bring in top, innovative coordinators. The ideal model, for me, is Mike Tomlin.

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Mike Brown from UT, he could be very cheap.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Jake really does interest me brown on one side jake on another maybe a QB slips to the 2nd round

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stephen A.: Kubiak and the Texans have looked sorry for a vast majority of this early part of the season.

Stephen A.: I have to look at Gary Kubiak who has been here long enough, who convinced McNair we don't need Peyton Manning because we have Matt Schaub. I'm sorry, this is a coach who officially should be on the hot seat and the crowd should be looking at him.

Skip: Thanks for bringing that up. He's getting a pass today because the focal point is Schaub's injury cheered. All the sudden, the blame is deflected to the fans. Wait, the coach. The coach is 2-4.

Stephen A.: The coach is not getting the job done because he's repeatedly falling short of expectations, even when they won games last year. No one expected them to look that way in the playoffs. The year before, no one expected them to look that way in the playoffs. He continues to come up short and has been there long enough and last time I checked, Lovie Smith lost his job because he kept coming up short. Why is Gary Kubiak safe?

5. BigTex

BigTex Member

We need a dick, a reckless, arrogant, stupid dick. Kubiak is a p***y. And the opposing teams are assholes.
    p*****s don't like dicks, because p*****s get ****ed by dicks.
    But dicks also **** assholes: assholes that just want to **** on everything.
    p*****s may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can **** an ******* is a dick, with some balls.
    The problem with dicks is: they **** too much or **** when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a p***y to show them that. But sometimes, p*****s can be so full of **** that they become assholes themselves.
    I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don’t have a dick to **** these assholes, we're going to have our dicks and p*****s all covered in ****!

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think he's busy coaching the Cleveland Cavaliers...in the NBA.

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

You do realize most of the successful GMs in the NFL operate by getting information from the coaching staff on who they want/will fit best in there system right? I mean how often do you really see a GM make moves that the coaches don't agree with and will still support? The Jets with Tebow?

Smith going to the coaches to see what players they are interested in or they think would best fit the system they run is WHY he has been a good General Manager these past few years. It is why we have managed to bring in talent not only through the draft but off the street that has worked well enough even if only for a season or two.

Does he defer to Kubiak a bit too much in some of his decision? I agree he probably does, but the fact that he works well with a guy doesn't mean he is tainted and can't do the job with a new set of coaches that have different goals or wants to instill a new culture.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Really Stephen? What did people expect the Texans to do in their first ever playoff run? With a backup QB at the helm?

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Cooo-allll........

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Nice nitpick for that one part, but he is 99% right.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The bottom line is that he's not a GM in the traditional sense. He does not have the power or authority to hire/fire whoever he wants. He has not built this team according to "his" plan or "his" vision. It's basically been Kubiak's calls on all major personnel (especially on offense).

Kubiak could have been the GM/coach when he was hired. He decided it would be better for somebody else to handle the day-to-day salary stuff and a guy with decent knowledge of the cap, so he hired Smith.

Id rather have a GM who has either done it before, or has his own vision on how a team should be built. Not somebody's former patsy or current patsy.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't want another coach that runs the team. I want a GM that will run the organization and a coach that will coach the players.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly. As long as the GM is not an outdated retread like Casserly was.

What is Ron Wolf doing these days? He still with the Packers?

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Is that a joke? Can't tell. Wolf hasn't been a GM since 2001.

I hope they get younger-skewering guys. This is arguably the most progressive era of the NFL in years; the sport is evolving virtually weekly, from new rules to pedal-to-the-medal offenses. You need guys at the front of that curve.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If I may quote Deep Throat from "All the President's Men":

Deep Throat (W. Mark Felt): "You're missing the overall."

Bob Woodward: "But what about blah blah blah...."

Deep Throat (W. Mark Felt): "No no no; you're missing the overall."

You have a point, but Stephen A., loud and obnoxious as he is, is spot-on correct.

I've always asked, Do Kubiak and McNair go to the same church? What is it about Kubiak that coats him in Kevlar? is it because he's an aw-shucks, golly-gee polite local Texan boy?

McNair's faith in Kubiak is grossly misplaced, Kubiak's faith in Schaub is grossly misplaced. And so here we are.

(After 2009-10 season)
    "Gary, you and your team needs mental toughness. Can you do that for me next year?"

"Duuuuuh-oh-kay. Hey, how about Ida Mae's chocolate chip cookies? Weren't they gritty?"

"Sure were. So we'll see you at church?"

"Duuuuuh-oh-kay."

(After 2010-11 season)
    "Gary, you and your team needs mental toughness. Can you do that for me next year?"

"Duuuuuh-oh-kay. Hey, how about Ida Mae's chocolate chip cookies? Weren't they gritty?"

"Duuuuuh-oh-kay."

(After 2011-12 season)

"Duuuuuh-oh-kay."

(After 2012-13 season)

"Duuuuuh-oh-kay."

(After 2013-[there ain't gonna be a -14" for us] season)

???

16. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Not picking on you here, but I remember you jumping on me pretty hard for criticizing Kubiak as being behind the curve offensively (stuck in a late 90s mindset). Are you on board with switching to a post-2005 offensive scheme now? That would probably mean Kubiak and Schaub are done here, FWIW.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We shall see. At the end of the day, the read option may indeed go the way of the wildcat, while old guys like manning and Brady continue to hoist trophies.

Hell, the run and shoot probably could do very well on a short term basis in today's NFL.

And Wolf is currently a consultant for the Chargers... helped them hire their new-age coach for the new-age NFL.

18. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

Bill Cowher. but he have said in past that he dont want to coach anytime soon.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ain't nothing soft about Sumlin or Manziel.....they are both gamers.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Lloyd Carr, QB coach David and 3rd rd pick, Derek

But seriously Cowher, Dungy, Gruden, David Shaw are great mentions

Sumlin would be a backup plan