1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who are some free agents you want the Rockets to go after this off-season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, May 23, 2017.

1. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

At the draft day Morey plans will be clear
    If he move RA or Lou Williams and anybody else he will go after a big fish
    If he stand pat, smals move are coming

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Swyguy and the mavs are about to offer Simmons the max

arabrocket and BigShasta like this.
  3. anchel

anchel Member

What about this:

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/5/22/15672372/nba-free-agency-2017-paul-millsap-market

The Rockets had a very successful regular season (55-27, 3rd seed in Western Conference) and looked to be one of the more credible threats to the Golden State Warriors in the post-season. Eventually they flamed out in ugly fashion losing by nearly 40 points in a close out situation in game 6 at home to a Spurs team that was playing without MVP candidate Kawhi Leonard. Still they have very upper tier talent secured for the immediate and longer term but clearly need to add at least one more significant piece to take themselves seriously as a contender.

The Rockets have a solid and very affordable starting center in Clint Capela, although he needs help when going up against the more physical bigs in the league. The power forward position was primarily manned last season by Ryan Anderson and Trevor Ariza. They will certainly explore the market to bolster their front court prior to considering bringing back unrestricted free agent Nene, who could be seriously contemplating retirement just as he did last summer. Sam Dekker could be a contributor at the position in the future, but should be viewed as a rotation player next season at best.

Outside of the Warriors and the Cleveland Cavaliers, no team takes themselves more seriously as a potential contender than do the Rockets. They don’t have the projected working cap space to make a near max offer to Millsap but there is not a more creative GM in the league than Daryl Morey. Moving Ariza and Lou Williams in a trade (both very realistic possibilities) would get them in the neighborhood of having the cap room with which to work as to make a potential offer.

In reflecting on how the playoffs ended for the Rockets it seems pretty obvious to me that they will be a serious player in the Millsap market. They struggled to identify a credible way to play with a small line-up when match ups dictated it. Millsap’s ability to play comfortably at the center position on both ends of the court might mean he is the ideal solution for a Rockets team looking to get to the next level.

I'm not a CBA expert but don't think we would have enough space even dumping Ariza+Lou... Millsap would have to renounce to money. .... Or we would have to find a team for Rhyno.
    Do you see Morey going for Millsap? He's a top-15, top-20 player.

da_juice likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I would be ok if we get Millsap, not sure Morey is going after him though, we had a chance two years ago and we didn't even try (for what we know at least), i think we were after LMA though...and most important thing here would be to know how much money he's going to ask...to me he's one of those guys who just wants to win, especially at this point of his career but, if Atlanta or another team is going to give him a max (personally i'm not sure this is going to happen but we'll see) i think we're definitely out.

This piece here btw gives me some hope, the end of the season was utter ****, but in the end we're still a better situation than other 25 around the league, a lot of players are going to be free agent or traded in a year from now, i like our chances to make a good upgrade.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Nothing here but a wish for a diamond in the rough:

Get me JaMychal Green, DM. Thanks.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks for the let-down. All psyched out for some info.

Codman? Hmph. Try Co**-tease. ;)

Although (all kidding aside) I do wonder if your boy Nene has any info on whether he'll return!

saleem and BigMaloe like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Feel like Jamychal Green will get paid 15+ million.

Good 3pt shooter, solid rebounder, not a good defender though. Not sure about him.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Cheap ones.

The other thread better suits my desires

shadowsb23 likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He could cost anywhere from 10M+ to 15M+ per year. Gonna be interesting to see what Memphis does. They may try to keep him and let ZBO walk. They probably don't bring both back at their cost.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chandler eating a big portion of their salary cap so some guys might walk.

Zach Randolph, Tony Allen, Vince Carter, JaMychal Green...

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Brutal

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

15+ mil for Jamychal Green? Good Lord, they really should've let the cap jump up gradually instead of letting it increase by such a huge amount so quickly, especially when the cap won't be increasing much at all after this summer. Role players are making too much money now.

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

14. craguin

craguin Member

If you trade Anderson and Williams, I'd want JJ Redick and Mike Muscala. I don't know that Wiltjer is ready or Dekker is going to improve enough to replace Ryno's outside shot production.
    [​IMG]

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

"The 2017 NBA Playoffs will have one of the fewest number of game since the first round was expanded from a five-game series to a seven-game series in 2003.

Depending on the length of The Finals between the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers, there will be anywhere between 78 games and 81 games.

If only 78 games are played, it will be the shortest playoffs of the era, while 81 games would be tied for second shortest.

With fewer games, the NBA will have less revenue from gate receipts and that will likely bring the cap down further from the current projection of $101 million."

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No they wont.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Remind me again how it's possible teams like the Rockets and others fight so hard for cap space, but it always seems like the Warriors and Cavs have endless amounts and continue to add stars every season?

arabrocket likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Curry still being paid well below market value, Klay and Draymond signing their deals before the amount of money these players are making really started getting out of hand, and the cap jump is what helped GS so much. Cleveland never has cap space, they just get vets to go there on minimum deals or find their guys through trades. Shumpert, JR Smith, and Frye were all traded for. Deron Williams was picked up off waivers.

The Rockets hurt themselves by giving Ryno so much money. In an ideal scenario, he'd be making Eric Gordon money. Also, we gave Harden a huge pay raise by extending his contract. Harden went from making 16 mil to 26 mil this season, and next year he'll be making 28 mil instead of 18 mil. We would've had an extra 10 mil in cap space this summer, but the Rockets had to extend Harden or else he would've become a FA in the summer of 2018.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Cleveland has zero cap space, they have the highest payroll in the league by far. But when they're picking up players off the waiver wire like Deron Williams or Bogut they sign them for serious discounts since those guys are already getting paid by their prior teams.

As for GS, look at how much their players are getting paid besides Durant. They all extended under the old cap figures before salaries. Curry is making only $12M this year, that's less than EGo. Draymond Green has a smaller contract than Ryno. Curry will be eligible for super max this summer, but they've locked up all the other guys for under value.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I hope we dump liabilities like swyyyvuy, mr motieujunas by attaching _holic to them so to create somr bandwidth and CF flexibility