1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats better for the future of the Franchise? Being 3-5 seed/Tanking & Lottery Pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robroy77, Feb 10, 2012.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

What is better for the future of our Rockets? The consensus early in the season was tanking and finally get a Top 5 pick and build from there. That made very much sense figuring if we were a playoff team we would be most likely the 8th seed. So continuing our middle of the pack play. Now 27 games into the season we are the 4th seed, and we look like a very confident/deep team. The West is tight and we could fall, but what if went don't fall much. What if we are the 4-5 seed around the trade deadline. Do we finally look attractive to a superstar, or are we still just the same old Rockets. So being middle of the pack was a bad thing for our future, but is being in the Top half of the West becoming a good thing for our future. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Really?

This is the anti-tanking thread is popping up. The season is not over.

IF (and I think this is still a huge IF), the Rockets can get to the Western Conference Finals, not just be a top 3-5 seed, but they need to get deep in the playoffs.

That would be #1. If that happens, the Rockets all of a sudden become VERY attractive to the Dwights/Derons of the NBA.

I don't believe winning 1 round does that.

#2 in my opinion is tanking.

#3 is a #8 or #9 seed, getting stuck with awful draft picks and another oh same old Rockets season.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

It's all about lookin like a team with some good pieces to attract top level talent. Lottery is a crapshoot.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Under no circumstance whatsoever will losing a bunch of games be better than winning a bunch of games.

None

Period

5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

If we are out in the first round and can't attract an elite player vs getting a top 5 pick in an absolutely loaded draft (at least top 8 or so picks), I would take the latter.

Saying something like this so strongly is completely wrong.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

In a game of "ifs, ands & buts" I'll take the playoffs 10 times out of 10.

But I enjoy it when my favorite team wins.

It's weird, I know.

1 person likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I could see the logic that star free agents would look at us getting a decent seed in the playoffs as a positive. They see a team that works hard and that could impress.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The pro tankers are against getting the 8th seed.

Dunno bout any of yall but the 3rd seed means you are a contending team most likely...so yeah...

9. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I was pro-tanking but not if we can finish in the top five in the west. That can attract an all star and raises the trade value of our players. At this point in the season we might as well make a strong push.

10. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

That begs the question on which teams we could beat in a playoff matchup.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are yall sure we are going to finish as 3rd or 4th seed at the end of the season?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am enjoying the ride.... whatever they do.... but I would be disappointed if they don't be in the Top 3 of the WC within 3 years time span

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Knicks lottery pick
    Rockets lottery pick
    Trading Martin and Scola for lottery picks

Having 35-40 mil in cap room to throw at EGordon, Dwight,Dragic and Osik this summer

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I keep asking myself the same question .... As much as I want the team to win , I almost feel like they are better off not winning.

I dont believe that the Rockets have a snowballs chance in hell of getting out of the first round - But I do believe that should they reach the post season , they will be a hell of a tough out.

Is being a tough out enough ? I guess after several seasons of missing the playoffs , some will be satisfied ..... I dont know how I feel about it , should that be the outcome.

Thats a far cry from my preseason expectations - I didnt think they would win 27 games , much less sniff the playoffs. Maybe I really need to raise my expectations for this team ....

Trade deadline is looming - will they look like the same team after that point ? Will they be better , worse or stay the course ?!

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Rockets have built that reputation over the past few seasons - a hard working Team with a lot of parts in place .....

I get the idea that top tier FA's arent looking for that - they are looking for "the easy way" .... I point to both the Miami Heat and NY Knicks as examples , tho the Knicks have dont next to nothing with their talent.

16. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Exactamundo. I don't think we could beat the Lakers/Clips/Thunder/Spurs/Mavs/Healthy Grizzlies in the playoffs, that's 6 of the 7 other teams. So if we get lucky and matchup against the Jazz/Blazers/Nuggets we MIGHT sniff a single win in the second round. That's worth giving up your draft pick? I know, people keep saying it's a late teen/early 20's pick, but those are the same people saying how loaded this class is.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm fine with being a top 4 seed if we make a move at the deadline that can make us a contender for at least the Western Conference Finals. If we stand pat and get in the playoffs with any seed I will be saddened. I just don't see how we can not make a move at the trade deadline with all the expiring contracts we have since a lot of them are good solid players like Lee, Dragic, Bud, Pat and Dalembert. Resigning all of those players makes little sense long term so we have to consolidate at some point.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Is Gordon a RFA?

I think he'd be a legitimate get for this team and a upgrade at Starting SG at this point.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Yep RFA.

20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Sometimes it's hard for the tank squad to see the obvious...just saying.

If our plan was to lose or tank Thabeet would be our starting center, Adrien at the 4 spot, T-Will, Lin & Flynn at the 3,2,1 respectively.
    Even then the players would be busting their butts to win because no one wants to play for or be labeled a loser.