1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats better for the future of the Franchise? Being 3-5 seed/Tanking & Lottery Pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robroy77, Feb 10, 2012.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Les has made it clear that he won't tank, and considering our record at the moment we aren't likely to switch directions even if it was universally agreed on by the minority of fans who are discussing it here. It MIGHT be the best thing and Morey has acknowledged that it is the easiest way to get a franchise player, but unless Alexander has a change of heart, it doesn't matter. Right now it seems the best thing the Rockets can attempt is a NY Knicks/Miami Heat like strategy of trying to get enough cap space to get 2 stars at the same time. Otherwise they have to hope Lowry can become one, and as good as he has played most of the season he hasn't been at an all star level for about 2 weeks now.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

You play to win - end of story.
    If you fail to win, then u say 'oh well, at least we have a good draft pick...'

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

IF and IF we make it the top 4 teams. Make to the Western Conference Finals. Should we trade any guys at all with good things are happening and the chemistry is off the roof?

4. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Yes Martin and Scola.

Don't think the Rockets will get a big name in free agency, so we have to hope for that Knick pick

5. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

We are talking about the Rockets now. We can not get a top 5 pick in any scenario. We are not going to end up worse than Charlotte, New Orleans, Washington, Detroit, Toronto, New Jersey, Golden State, Sacramento. In our situation we should go for the wins, build up the value of our players and find a good trade to fill in the gaps.

Are we likely to win a championship this season? No. Can we make the team better this season? Yes...

If we were 3 wins 30 losses I'd be right with you...

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

FIFY.

7. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hmm..I think the nearest "all star" we can trade for is Josh Smith of the Hawks....

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you really follow what Morey believes in his preferred method of aquiring a star is through trades. However, like Paul/Melo etc., you have to give them a good chance of winning big with the team that will be surrounding them to convince them to stay long term. Morey has said time and time again the straight up free agent signings are looked at, but they prefer trades. Free agency is obviously not something he believes in placing his chips on the table for.

So when referring to Houston being an attractive place for players to come to, we know he's thinking more along of the lines of keeping a star player rather than signing straight up in free agency. Nobody goes that route, not even Lebron, and Bosh. Technically they went through trade.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Even for GARM this logic is god awful.

Look at the history of teams with top 5-10 picks and their odds of becoming a perennial 1 or 2 seed. Now look at the history of teams with 3-5 seed talent adding more talent to reach 1 or 2 seed(or make/win the finals as a 3 seed or lower).

If this Rockets team has the talent to be a perennial 3-5 seed in the west, then they would be the stupidest people on earth to try to tank.

10. dobro1229

Depends. If Morey thinks he needs "that guy" to push them over the top then he will. I think if there is a trade that makes the team better then you have to do it.

Team chemistry is taken into consideration if the talent level is comparable to the outgoing talent, but if the talent upgrade is considerable then of course you do it.

11. dobro1229

Completely agree. Do you think fans of the Blazers are all crying for the team to tank right now??? Its embarrasing the logic that comes from 95% of Clutchfans posters on some topics.

The Rockets are very close to teams like the Blazers and Nuggets talent wise. Why would you throw away that much talent for the hopes of a draft pick and 5 to 10 years of purgatory?

Also, whose to say that if the Rockets trade away a couple of their better players that they dont actually get better like they did last year when they traded Brooks and Battier?

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Blazers have a player to build around. IF the Nuggets are satisfied, that's on them.

13. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

No one is expecting to find the next Rocket savior through a late draft choice. Like i said, let's let Morey do his magic. Who knows, maybe he can pull off another trade that no one was expecting :)

14. T-Moar

T-Moar New Member

Let's play a game here.

You are a free agent in the summer of 2012. Which of the following sounds better to you:

1. Come to our city. I know we sucked last year, but OMG we were TOTALLY tanking, d00d. And we'd NEVER be forced to tank if we had you! You can take a team from terrible to being a contender with no other rebuilding effort whatsoever! Take my word for it, you have no clue how close our top-5 pick was to being a ring.

2. Hey, we were 3rd/4th/5th seed in the West without you. We've been rebuilding for a few years, and we think you're the piece that can put us over the top. Oh and btw, we have a ton of money to throw at you, if you're into that kind of thing.

This may just be me, but I think the average person would lean toward number two.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We are pretty much on the same page then. I think I'd still rather miss the playoffs and take Austin Rivers who will probably still be available at the end of the lottery if he comes out.

16. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I'm pretty sure tankers were always a vocal minority.

17. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I don't think there is anyone in the GARM who has ever said a top 3-5 seed team should intentionally try to lose. The argument that has been made has been, if you are a mediocre team that could trade away its veterans (i.e. Scola and Martin) to get a top 5 pick, then do it. Our team has won too many games now so there is no way to get a top 5 pick no matter who we trade.

The tanking arguments were largely active when the season was just beginning, when it looked very strongly like our upside was the 7-8 seed. I still think that is our upside despite our recent record, but if you don't agree, then by all means enjoy it. Optimistic fans have more fun.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Push.

I doubt we get past the 1st round, if we end up against any of vaunted five (Thunder, Clippers, Lakers, Mavs, Spurs). While, the others will be very tough for us to beat, and we would need to get as high as 2 or 3 to play the Jazz.

Even if we start to lose more games, we wouldn't get any higher than 6th.

The "Malcolm" of the Middle for NBA franchises.

19. Rocket_Man_2.0

20. joesr

joesr Member

how much would he cost and.why wouldnt.NOH keephim if tgey lost paul him