1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would it take to put us in the same category as Golden State?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha_Dude, May 20, 2017.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Realistically, Anthony Davis.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Add Anthony Davis to the mix and we are taking GS to 7 games... not necessarily saying we would win... but we'd be on the same level...

I think we are already equal to SA... we should have won that series and they keep getting older...

Add a true inside game to the offense and more rim protection... and we would be true contenders...

From there its just a matter of proper coaching (no 7 man rotation nonsense) and maintaining team wide focus... imo...

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Silly talk. Klay, Durant, Zara and green are all better defenders than anyone in our roster at those positions.

#63 justtxyank, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Curry is a better offensive player than Harden, in my opinion. I'd also consider putting Chris Paul over him as well, despite not being as much of a scoring threat.

Kawhi is below both of them, by the way.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As long as GS keeps that core 4 together, they're gonna be the overwhelming favorite to win the 'chip no matter what any other team does. Morey has his work cut out for him but as long as we field a 50+ win team these next few years I'm happy. We definitely need a another star or two to be considered contenders.

6. StevieCrossover

give rockets kevin durant and that might make it even.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not the case. Durant and Zaza are average defenders, Klay isn't better than a Millsap or George.

They're not an incredibly talented group of individuals, but they have a couple of great defenders, really good system and they are committed to playing defense. lol who are the defensive aces on the Spurs? After Kawhi the best defenders are probably Green and Gasol. And the Spurs were a better defensive team than the Warriors.

8. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Even if we added Davis, we would only have two all-stars while Golden State would still have 4 of them.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We need consistency. What makes the Spurs, Warriors, and Cavs so awesome is that they are all consistent. Their players also have insane work ethics. The warriors are amazing at the Space and Pace offence because their leader is consistently the deadliest 3pt shooter. He wasn't just gifted with that talent, but he worked his butt off to get there. He and the rest of the warriors trained themselves to have amazing range. It isn't a gamble for them going into games on who has the hot hand. They are all ready to bury 3's at any given moment. Their offence also doesn't rely on officiating. When we get the calls for contact, then yes we are just a scary team. But we're then relying on putside forces to help us win when we should just be self reliant. The Spurs have the same strong mentality. They are just consistent. Their Defence is consistently always on the top of the list and their players are making good shots by properly passing it to the open man. They aren't relying on the refs to bail them out if they have bad shooting nights. Kawhi has also stepped up hiss offensive game and is one of the best defenders. He worked for it. The Cavs have the best player on earth but again he worked his butt off to get there. Their players are consistent and if they aren't they get shipped. As much as I love what Mike d'antoni has done with this team so far, I am still not sold that he is the guy that will get us a Trophy. Coaches like Kerr, Pop, Lebron.. I mean Lue know how to adjust with the cards they are delt with in each individual situation. Can Mike D'antoni learn to adjust and tweek his offence and plays when the times arrive. Can he add a midrange game of needed?
    That 7 man roster really didn't look like it. Our guys really need to bust their butts this offseason or we can't be afraid to pull the trigger and trade.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

If curry suddenly decides to play soccer instead of basketball, then, only then, would we have a chance to surpass the warriors.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Who's the 2nd & 3rd best player on the Rox roster? The answer to that question will tell you if you need to "work harder" or if there's a talent gap.

12. Emtenndo

Emtenndo Member

Depressing thread is depressing.

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Don't know why people think this is impossible. It would just take patience and a little luck:

Step one, dump Ryan Anderson while taking back nothing more than an expiring contract (might have to attach one or both of our 2nd round picks this year).
    Step two, feed Montrez, Zhou Qi, and Onuaku meaningful minutes. Coach them up. We need a second round pick to become the next Draymond Green or something close to him.
    Step three, let Beverley, Lou, and Ariza's contracts expire, then sign Westbrook next summer.
    Step four, offer Sergio Llull the starting SG spot in a line up with Westbrook and Harden, and hope he lives up to the hype.

PG: Westbrook / 2018 2nd round pick / ring chasing vet?
    SG: Llull / Gordon
    SF: Harden / Dekker
    PF: Harrell / Zhou / 2018 1st round pick? / ring chasing vet?
    C: Capella / Onuaku

There's a whole lot of question marks here:
    Would Westbrook leave all of the extra OKC money? Considering that Durant already left, it's a real possibility.
    Would Llull really leave Real Madrid? And would he be a difference maker over here? Maybe it would be better just to re-sign Pat.
    Can Harrell develop a 3pt shot? He's got Draymond Green's size and motor, but it's the shooting that makes Draymond unique.
    Zhou has a lot of tools, but do they translate into the NBA?

So there's no sure thing, but it's not impossible.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nonsense, we just gotta get Bobby Brown some burn

Emtenndo likes this.
  15. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

No disrespect, OP. You're my dude but in all sincerity...

**** GOLDEN STATE.

I'm serious.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

You all gotta be kidding me.
    I hate this BBS on how easy you are to change opinion. With Nene or any backup C we would have beaten the Spurs in 6 and already be having close games with GSW.

Add Davis or Greek freak and we win. Even Porzingis is on that option list. Target player is somebody who could also score while adding some size in the paint. And yes, don't forget a replacement for Nene.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Richie Rich be like

[​IMG]

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. Mattician

Mattician Member

The Warriors have pretty much made me care less about basketball.
    Team wins the most games in a season and then adds Durant.

Bad for the NBA if they manage to pay Curry, Durant, Green, and Thompson.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  19. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

If we are looking to upgrade our system look no further than Cleveland. They are basically the premium version of who we are.

Both systems are build around a single high usage player. That player is capable of high level penetration + very capable passer/vision + high offensive IQ

The poor-mans version of who we are - OKC.

Our system is different to GS which is basically a rich version of SA Spurs.

#79 DreamRun95, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

C'mon Dude... what is this - a troll thread? You messin with people? yer too smart to buy into this line of thinkin...

Just counting all-stars is a shortcut to thinking...
    Hakeem, Drex, Barkley didnt win it all...
    Hakeem, Barkley, Pippen didnt win it all...
    Shaq, Kobe, Malone, payton didnt win it all.... how many 'all-stars' did detroit have?

Conversely, Shane Battier wasn't an 'all-star'.... but give me a prime Battier to fill a slot... and I'd consider that as good (or better) than a misc all-star....

7 time NBA champion Robert Horry was never an All-star... again, give me a prime Horrry to fill a slot... and I'd consider that as good (or better) than a misc all-star....

Sure, the more high caliber options you have - the better... but there's only 1 ball.... a couple all-stars at the right positions, coupled with the right role players... and a team would have just as good a chance to win it all as GS....

If we added Davis (w/o giving anything up and with no salary implications) would put us on level with GS... then we could get Ibaka (another non all-star) and maybe a couple more moves... and GS would be our b****! ;)

#80 kjayp, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Mathloom and Tha_Dude like this.