1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would it take to put us in the same category as Golden State?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha_Dude, May 20, 2017.

1. deshen

deshen Member

Basically, we need to shake up the front office, the rosters, coaching staff, good luck on draft picks. and a few good years of development to be where the Warriors is. Harden did not want to stay in a very talented team with Durant, Westbrook, what can you expect the rockets could be in best scenario? However, my first priority would be change in the front office.

2. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Do you have any clue how much the Cavs are over the salary?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

an owner who doesn't depend on near-term team franchise generated income to maintain his lifestyle

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's called resigning you're own players.

So the answer is no, you do t have a clue about how the salary cap works.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

TBF, the cap is really really complicated.

6. JayZ750

somewhat true. the very detailed portion, sure. but the general idea isn't all that complicated for anyone willing to put in an hour of study.

complicated or not, points @ROXonROXonROX made:

- DM shouldn't be so timid to spend above the salary cap. DM isn't in charge of the money. He has a directive form the owner on how aggressive/passive he can be

- It would be awesome to be able to sign Blake Griffen or Paul George this summer without getting rid of our main core. Yea give up Dekker, Harrell, our picks this year, and the rights to Llull for either one but bc it's DM I'm sure he would find a way to make this impossible or even more complicated than what it should be.. I think he is saying DM should either trade that package for Blake or PG, which is laughable, or jettison those players to make cap space, which isn't possible since it doesn't create enough cap space given the Rockets salaries. Then he went on to criticize DM for making things too complicated... when overtime he makes something complicated its precisely to be able to make a move in light of the restrictions of the salary cap.

I was just noting he needs to read up on how the salary cap works before making such illogical statements.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I was being somewhat of an ******* here. He is a bit misinformed on how it works, we can't just say "hey Cp3 and Blake, come to Houston on Super max deals." Golden State was only able to sign KD because the players association was too stupid to approve cap smoothening.

8. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Updating my own novel:

I would trade Montrezl and a 2nd round pick for Nick Young since the Lakers wanted to move him anyway. Nick at 6'7" has the length to guard Livingston one on one in the second unit without help. Plus he shot 40% from 3 last year.

Also, in the PG13 stars aligning trade, actually I don't think they would take or need Lou since they will be rebuilding, plus his salary is high enough that it would force another player into the trade from their end....so I just used Dekker instead along with Anderson so that they have a young prospect combo forward in the deal, to go along with 2 firsts and Llull plus Gentile from us.

Therefore we could use Lou (or just keep him) in another trade to upgrade the PF or C backup positions. Say for B. Marjanovic from Detroit or something like that.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kr3bfb8

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'd say a well-timed plane crash would do the trick.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Harden asked for what he thought he was worth and OKC traded him. He did not leave.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  11. BackdoorHarden

As everyone have said, the only player the Rockets can add and beat the Warriors is Lebron James, Curry , and KD.

And 2 of those 3 players are on the Warriors.

Harden isn't a one. He need an one on the team and 2 of them are on the Warriors

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

Morey needs to be clever and figure out how to get elite players on this roster without mortgaging the future. Someone like DeMarcus Cousins who has a bad rep and is in the last year of this deal would be the type of player he can get for 50c on the dollar.

He needs to get real lucky in the draft too and find a diamond or two. The primary reason the Warriors elevated themselves to this position was finding Draymond Green in the 2nd round.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

Harden is a "1" in my opinion, but he's currently surrounded by a bunch of "4s" and "5s". We need an elite big man and SF to complement him.

14. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

We would have to move all the residents of Houston to Oakland for us to be in the same category as Golden State.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Curry is so overrated and so is KD. Neither of those guys on the Rockets would beat the Warriors. Not enough defense or an alpha-dog personality.

Give me Lebron, Kawhi, Anthony Davis, or --- reaching a little more --- Atentokounpo or Towns, and then we’ll see.

16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

But GS signed KD to a 1 to 1 deal worth 25+ mill and where able to still hold Green and Klay . Telling me that we can't make room to bring in a 3rd superstar? CLE, GS, and soon to be SA do it... Getting rid of Ariza, Harrell, Dekker, and picks for money can absolulty land us a PG air BG

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Either 2 top 10 MVP candidates + 1 near all star

or

A full starting lineup of All-Star level players + deep bench ala 04 Pistons

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I honestly dont think curry or durant are overrated. They are both BALLERS.

Theres more to being a baller than being a big buff "alpha-male"

Kawhi, davis, lebron fit that bill but dudes like harden or curry ballout because of how good they are at the game itself.

Its very stereotypical but I tend to dig the "baller" types over the "athletic freak, physically dominant" types.

A bunch of fans like to disrespect harden or even curry because they arent viewed as athletic freaks who are physically dominant. Curry is criminally disrespected by fans all over the internet just because he is skinny. He gets results though.

#118 Daddy Long Legs, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  19. JayZ750

That's because of the way the salary cap jumped enormously one unique year. That's not happening again.

Can the Rockets make max cap space? Sure it's possible. Got to move more than Ariza Harrell and Dekker. You need to move Anderson. And get back no money in return. Which is maybe possible if you add a future first round pick.

As for whether that package would get you PG in a trade. Seems very very unlikely. If the Pacers are moving on from PG why would they want Ariza? If the move PG it will be to get young assets and picks. To go along with their Myles Turner rebuild.

Blake is a free agent. The only way you get him is if he forces his way to Houston, and DM can do some of his "complex" moves to create salary cap space (as discussed above) or via sign and trade.

If Blake wants to come to Houston then great.

Step 1 is the player wants to come to Houston.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Criminally disrespected", lol.

bobloblaw likes this.