1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upcoming Marvel Films (May 2012 Update)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emjohn, May 9, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

There's been a slew of information pouring out in the wake of Avengers. I suspect that $207M opening weekend is going to kickstart a big wave of green lights across the various studios.

Marvel Studios/Disney

Iron Man 3 - May 3, 2013
    Filming in NC and China
    Will not feature other Avengers
    Extremis Storyline expected
    Expected to be Tony Stark centric (character-driven)

Thor Sequel - Nov 15, 2013
    Asgard-centric
    Previous cast returning, including Portman
    Loki not to be the central villain
    plausible tie in to Thanos, given that Infinity Gauntlet seen in Odin's hall

Captain America Sequel - Apr 4, 2014
    Expected to be SHIELD centric and likely include Fury, Hill, Hawkeye, and Widow
    Expected to reveal additional characters from first film to be in modern times, with Winter Soldier a rumored subplot

Guardians of the Galaxy - TBD (2014?)
    A surprise Kevin Feige pet project. Lineup to include Groot, Rocky, Star Lord....and I speculate Adam Warlock as well, and the film to feature Thanos. This would be a much more natural fit if Marvel is eyeing a Thanos-Infinity Gauntlet run.

Ant-Man - TBD (2015?)
    Has been in the que for years and Edgar Wright has the finished script and is set to go. All a matter of Marvel turning on the green light. Henry Pym is expected to make his way to Avengers 2. Film expected to be campy comedy, as Edgar Wright tends to do that well.

Hulk 3 - TBD (2015?)
    Not previously planned, but the overwhelming Hulk buzz from Avengers gained Ruffalo a 6-film deal and put a new feature film back in the works. Feige has pushed back on fast tracking, but Disney execs appear to be chomping at the bit. Could be a lead-in to Avengers 2.

Avengers Sequel - TBD (2015 or 2016?)
    I'm not as confident this film will be centered around a Thanos onslaught for a couple reasons:
    Joss Whedon has said he wants a "smaller" film that's more introspective and focused on internal character struggles.
    Thanos, in the comics, has always been out of the Avengers league - wiping the floor with them each time. It was already iffy to watch Widow fighting aliens with a pair of pistols....and the premise seems redundant.

Dr Strange - TBD
    Black Panther - TBD
    Both films have been on the back burner for some time, Feige has stated publicly that both are "close," but may be squeezed out by Marvel's two-films-a-year policy. Panther is an obvious Avengers tie-in, and Strange could work there if they wanted.

Other:
    Marvel recently reacquired studio rights to Blade and Punisher. Inhumans is name dropped a good bit, but it's tough to see them wedging that in to a saturated schedule dominated by the Avengers franchises.

Columbia Pictures / Sony

Spider Man Sequel - May 2014
    http://news.yahoo.com/writers-announced-amazing-spider-man-sequel-011402875.html
    Expected to continue the mystery storyline regarding his parents and Oscorp

Ghost Rider 3 - TBD
    http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ghost-rider-directors-say-third-film-is-already-being/260125
    In development

Venom - TBD
    Rumored. Lightly.

FOX Studios

Wolverine Sequel - July 23, 2013
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...equel-will-film-in-australia-instead-of-japan
    Madipoor Saga expected to be covered

X-Men First Class Sequel - Christmas 2013 or Summer 2014
    http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/04/27/x-men-fantastic-four-tom-rothman/
    Matthew Vaughn and majority of cast returning, still in script phase with shooting planned to begin in January. Little word regarding plot or direction.

Daredevil Reboot - TBD
    Teetering on the edge of reverting back to Marvel, but the recent Marvel sweeps have FOX looking at a reboot. The Born Again story arc (Kingpin) is said to be the basis.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Writer-Hired-David-Slade-Daredevil-Reboot-30672.html

Fantastic Four Reboot - TBD
    FOX CEO Rothman expects to move forward and that Chronicle director Josh Trank will helm the project. If FOX doesn't get the film going in the next year or so, the rights may revert back to Marvel (including Dr Doom, the Skrulls, and Silver Surfer, among others)
    http://collider.com/tom-rothman-fantastic-four-reboot-chronicle-2/162287/

New Mutants - TBD
    http://www.examiner.com/article/fox-teases-possible-new-mutants-movie-the-works
    Rumored/teased

1 person likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Do I need to see Thor or Hulk or Captain America to enjoy Avengers?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No but definitely see Thor. Thor has a lot to do with Avengers.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No, do the opposite.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Don't watch transformers 3. It's almost the same movie.

6. MadMax

Thor has a lot to do with Natalie Portman. I'm not particularly interested, otherwise...but I'll take your advice and check it out.

Thanks!

7. MadMax

Have you seen Dune? I've heard it's nothing like Dune. So if you liked Dune, you might not like it. But if you liked Dune, you still might like it. That's what I heard.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Needed Backstory Scale of 1-10

Thor 6
    Hulk 1
    Captain America 5

You'll do fine going in cold, and can always catch up later

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

*head exploded*

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cap 2 - They set up the Winter Soldier plotline perfectly.

Guardians of the Galaxy I'd love to see this. By Rocky did you mean Rocket Raccoon? Would be awesome. If they play their cards right, this can be a nice prologue for Thanos for the Avengers sequels.

Hulk 3....please.

Avengers Sequel...introspective? **** that. I want smashing and explosions. The first one was as sublime as you get for a superhero movie. Please do not deviate.

I'd also love to see a Marvel Knights with Punisher, Daredevil, Blade, Luke Cage and other street-level guys.

Non-marvel movie licenses....we can only hope that they will all revert to Marvel at this point.

11. MadMax

[​IMG]

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Do we really need a 2nd X-men first class? What's wrong with just telling the origin story once and moving on?

Seems like every movie is either a sequel or based on a book or some "based on a true story". There's no more creativity.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

X-Men First Class takes place in a significantly different era in the X-Men. Time for Sentinels.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think a 2-3 films per year policy is a good idea for Marvel. The Avengers success may be setting expectations too high on just how much the general public can consume.

IMO, they should forget about the FF4, who are boring in movies just like in their old comic books. The only way they should do a Hank Pym movie is if the expectations are very low from the start and they don't try to make it a big deal.

Bring on Dr. Strange.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Introspective?

The Marvel execs would be like, "Whoooooa, hossie. We want to make $$$, not $$$."

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I wonder how long will it take until the public gets tired of Marvel movies? I LOVE the Avengers and Iron Man, but seeing films like Ant-man, Guardians of the Galaxy, I haven't got a clue who they are. Although to be fair, James Bond has been going on for like 22 films, so I'm sure they can get almost a similar amount of Marvel films out there too.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Should I see Batman, Batman, or Batman? :confused:

18. Indaface

Indaface Member

I haven't read any of the comics but watched all the cartoons as a kid in the early 90's. It all looks good except for Ant-man, just seem real skeptical on that one.

I know he was an original Avenger and all but I just don't know how a crowd would react to a guy called Ant-man. Some comic characters need to stick to the comics because I don't think he'll translate well.

Correct me if I'm missing something on him just my casual point of view.

19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

So no Deadpool movie?

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Hulk 3? When did hulk 2 come out? I could have sworn Norton'd hulk was a reboot.