1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upcoming Marvel Films (May 2012 Update)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emjohn, May 9, 2012.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't see how the X-Men tried to make things realistic. I also think what held them back was poor script writing, poor plot direction, etc.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Dug up a few things about First Class - hard to find press outside of Jennifer Lawrence's shooting schedule.

-Working title is X-Men: Brotherhood

-It will mostly be an X-Men Origins: Magneto film.

-Magneto won't be out and out evil, more along the lines of the Cable era X-Force (proactive, violent, blurring the lines, but good) - his path diverges from Charles', but they still respect and care for each other. Bromance.

-It's reiterated that they envision this as a trilogy that will naturally weave into the Bryan Singer Films (which included Charles and Erik visiting Jean Grey as colleagues). So virtually no chance of a Phoenix redo. Almost everyone from the Singer Films, sans Wolverine and Sabertooth, are still little kids or unborn at this point (~30 years separation)

-There are no plans to introduce many new characters. Singer claims only one new character is being brought in, with one rumor pointing to a
    young Storm.

-There's expected to be a villain too powerful for either team to tackle, bringing them back together.

-There's a rumor that they will incorporate
    the Kennedy Assassination, with Magneto providing the Magic Bullet.

I do suspect we'll seeing growing Government action towards the mutant problem - the first film laid enough groundwork there. The slaughter of Division X and the desertion by half (all) their recruits left them thoroughly unsettled, and the order to nuke them all made their intentions crystal clear.

Sentinels will be tough to swallow in the 60s/70s, what with computers still taking up small rooms. But maybe you tweak that to be black op kill squads (maybe call them Marauders for fun). I do think the US response will provoke a nasty response from Magneto and bring the two teams head to head.

My hope? We finally get Apocalypse. If you want a big bad that outweighs the X-Men and the Brotherhood, you don't have too many other options.

[​IMG]

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The black uniforms, non-space Phoenix story, etc...

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, you'd see Apocalypse if Marvel had the damn rights... best case scenario is they make an X-Men 4 which is followed by X-Men First Class 3 where they retcon everything by having Xavier's son go back in time and kill him. Then Fassbender leads the X-Men in the Age of Apocalypse.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Why doesn't Marvel have the right to Apocalypse? Honestly, its a moot point, because you can't have Apocalypse as a villian when you haven't even introduced Sentinels.

Apoclypse is the type of villian you end a trilogy with , same with Darkseid with Superman.

X-Men 4: Sentinels
    X-Men 5: Mr. Sinister
    X-men 6: Apocalypse

6. emjohn

Info on Thor Sequel:

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2012/05/mads-mikkelsen-thor-2
    http://celluloidandcigaretteburns.blogspot.com/2012/05/speculation-mads-mikkelsen-up-for.html

Villain Speculation:
    Up until now, the obvious choice was Enchantress/Executioner. This might indicate they're going for something bigger (also knocking out Ulik).

Thor doesn't have a huge list of major villains, but Surtur (Srtur) would represent a challenge too big for Thor to tackle without a lot of help (Sif, Warriors Three....Loki). It could also open the door to Ragnarok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtur_(Marvel_Comics)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtr

FWIW, the Avenger's cartoon did introduce Surtur in S2 (and the Enchantress in both seasons).

Also, rumors are swirling that the Avengers cartoon is about to be canned:
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/marveltv/news/?a=58063

Iron Man 3 tidbits (spoilery if true):
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/po...hy-iron-patriot-armor-details-for-iron-man-3/
    Iron Patriot armor will supposedly show up.

It will employ the Extremis storyline, but it is not a live action Extremis movie. It will have a shadowy (version of) Mandarin creating Extremis villains.
    It also seems that the US vs Tony Stark subplot of IM2 will escalate (hinted at in the Avengers epilogue), leading to Iron Patriot.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fin Fang Foom is a pretty heavy hitter.

8. emjohn

True, but I've always associated him more with Iron Man. That said, I've never really cared for him at all and don't see him translating well as a big screen antagonist. And after Avengers, I'd guess that casual mainstream movie goers would look at him as redundant (Leviathan creatures)

9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#49 got em COACH, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

IM3 spoiler if real.
    [​IMG]

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

What the heck is that

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Iron Patriot. I guess an ode to Captain America lol

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Might want to spoiler that... like emjohn did.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Oh shizzz. Hmm...I don't see how they can get to the Iron Patriot without tying in Norman Osborn into a spiderman movie first. Then doing something related to Skrulls. And then I could see Iron Patriot.

Butttt I guess it's the movies so anything is possible.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Apparently the plot has to do with the government being anti-Iron Man. Seems like something simple to me. You can kind of imagine it from there...

16. emjohn

My only issue with what they seem to be doing is...
    This will be 3 for 3 Iron Man films where Iron Man has to fight an evil/opposing version of his own armor. Can we not come up with something else?
    Iron Man vs Iron Monger
    Iron Man vs War Machine
    Iron Man and War Machine vs Iron Man drones
    Iron Man vs Iron Patriot

Seriously Marvel, come on.

17. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I thought the Iron Patriot armor was introduced after the death of Captain America. If they just want to have a badass suit, why not give him the Hulkbuster?

If they don't, it better find its way into an Avengers movie.

18. emjohn

If there's one thing we know, it's that the studios will not be married to the comics. At most, they are inspired by and loosely based on the original material.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agree with this 100%. Where's the magic foe?

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Mandarin is allegedly in this movie, so...there. :p I do agree with the original assessment though, armor vs armor is a bit stale. I'm intrigued by them including Iron Patriot since it is Norman Osborn...but obviously Sony has the character's rights. Maybe this will be some sort of set up for Dark Avengers; that'd be interesting. I suppose if need be they could transition Iron Patriot to someone else in the future. I've come to accept that the movies are not the comics and they will change things. I pretty much trust Marvel at this point.