1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trades The Rockets Should Consider Before The Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ABS, Feb 11, 2017.

1. ABS

ABS Member

The Rockets as currently constructed, may not be strong enough to get past the Warriors and Spurs let alone, challenge the Cavs in the Playoffs. However, this year' trade deadline is better than any with a crop of players available for trades.

Based on players' names floated around the league to be had, I couldn't help but play around with guys I think can strengthen our starting 5 unit and the 2nd unit. And the big fish among them is, of course, Serge Ibaka.

Morey should consider trading for Ibaka without giving up Montrezl Harrelle. Instead, I would like to see Morey nudge Rob Hennigan (Magic GM) toward a package for R. Anderson/1st rd. pick and our oversea stash. And Rockets acquire Serge Ibaka and and one expiring contract.

Magic get:

- R. Anderson
    - 1st rd. pick
    - Rights to oversea stash (including Zhou Qi/Gentile/Llul)

Rockets get:

- Serge Ibaka
    - Expiring contract from the Magic

Next, Chandler Wilson.

Nuggets get:

- Sam Dekker
    - Cory Brewer (filler/expiring contract)
    - 2nd rd. pick

Rockets get:

- Chandler Wilson

Next, Jarret Jack or Ben McLemore

Brooklyn Nets get:

-Tyler Ennis
    - Bobby Brown

Rockets get:

- Jarret Jack

Or

Kings get:

- Kyle Witjer
    - 2nd rd. pick

Rockets get:

- Ben McLemore

Starting 5 unit:

C. Capela - Center
    S. Ibaka - PF
    T. Ariza - S.F.
    P. Bev - S.G.
    J. Harden - P.G.

Bench Unit:

N. Hilario/M. Harrelle - C
    W. Chandler - P.F.
    K.J. McDaniels/ Ben McLemore - S.F. --- (let them compete for the spot!)
    E. Gordon - S.G.
    J. Jack - P.G.

That, Rox fans, is a BEAST SQUAD! The 2nd Unit would be so much better than what we have with S.Dekker and C. Brewer off the bench. Ugh.

kwakmeister and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Too bad there isn't a thread like this already. We should sticky this and place it prominently at the top of the page for all to see so that there aren't any future imposter/duplicate topics.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chandler Wilson >>>> Chandler Parsons

It's Wilson Chandler, FYI

Jarrett Jack is a free agent.

While he hasn't lived up to being the #7 pick, they aren't giving McLemore away. (He is set to become a FA but I don't think they worry about losing him, if he does walk.)

Sam Dekker alone won't get you Wilson Chandler.

But I may be OK with the Magic trade. (Not sure they do it?)

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Not sure if any of the other teams say yes to any of these deals.

MorningZippo and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. ABS

ABS Member

Aww...my bad! I see what you did there. Lol.

I'm a newbie, man. I didn't know there is a category to post trade ideas until I read between the line what you was saying there. Haha.

I wish I knew how to put this post in that category but going forward, Id keep that in mind. Thanks for the indirect advice, though.

#5 ABS, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Fullcourt, MorningZippo and BigMaloe like this.
  6. Houston288South

Thanks for your post, but these don't strengthen our team any better. JMO

don grahamleone and DudeWah like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Aside from the overlooking the official trade thread and the separate 30+ page thread on Ibaka, how the hell does anyone spell "Montrezl" correctly, the screw up "Harrell"?

P.S. Just tweakin' ya, new guy. Welcome to the board.

Os Trigonum and Kim like this.
  8. jbasket

jbasket Member

Random Trade Idea Thread.

Why not? and valorita like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Corey Brewer for Lebron James

10. ABS

ABS Member

Thank you, but I beg differ. Those are upgrades that definitely get us over the hump. The one thing I did looking at those pieces is understanding in the Playoffs, the game slows down.

Half-court offense becomes the norm than transition/fastbreak baskets during the regular season. And the one thing of paramount is the ability to 1.) score, 2.) play defense and 3.) make free-throws. And do this consistently, emphasis on consistency!

With that, Ibaka is a better all-around player than Anderson. If both guys have flat-scoring night, Ibaka will have the edge with his defense alone while Anderson would be more of a one-trick pony and foul-prone.

Between Wilson and Dekker, Wilson give us more experience and less of that rookie/1st and 2nd years mistakes. Dekker is a fine player but remove Harden off the floor, Dekker is a below-average player, offensively and defensively. He feeds off the attention Harden gets when paired with him on the floor.

Whereas, Wilson can carry his own, create on his own and consistent enough to be a solid piece off the bench. Not to mention his defense is very good. You got a veteran at that spot off the bench. Or do you want to see more Brewer or Dekker mistakes; sloppiness, missed passes, silly fouls, botched shot attempts and turnover at critical moments of the game?

Jarret Jack as the PG with the 2nd unit will help give spacing for Eric Gordon...and his 7.4 ast a game is enough to feed our boys to feast in other teams' 2nd unit.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  11. ABS

ABS Member

....I really thought it was Harelle.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Sign me up for McLemore for Wiltjer and a 2nd, and whatever OP is smoking

MorningZippo and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

You would rather give up one of our 3 best players and a 1st round pick than give up Montrezl Harrell?

14. ABS

ABS Member

McLemore makes 5 millions a season. How else would we match the salary without giving away our core assets? Unless we give Witjer/Chinanuka and a 2nd.....??

15. valorita

valorita Member

Or better yet, you should start a thread saying,
    "This should go in the random idea thread that is stickied"

Remlap likes this.
  16. ABS

ABS Member

Yes sir! Anderson is NOT our 3rd best player. It's

1. Harden
    2. Gordon
    3. Ariza
    4. Capela
    5. Bev
    6. Montrezl
    7. Nene
    8. Anderson

You don't look at scoring average. You look at their all-around contribution and impact to the team. In that regard, Anderson is really just a one-trick pony in that he can shoot. But when his shots don't fall (which happens alot with him this season), he got absolutely nothing to fall back on.

No defense, no reliable post-game, can't facilitate....pretty bare, man. But when his shots do fall, he's as good as advertised but that's hardly the case with him this season.

Most of his better scorings has come when the game was already decided, and he's padding his stats. I save his one best game was against the Warriors where he was dropping the 3-bombs right when we needed it in our race to take the lead from the Warriors.

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

we'll just agree to disagree on Anderson's importance to this team. Yes Anderson is a one trick pony. I argue that his one trick is incredibly value to this teams offense and makes him the 2nd or 3rd most important player behind Harden and maybe Gordon.

I can see how somebody would argue for bev, ariza, as more important but honestly I think its flat out crazy to say that Montrezl and Nene are more important.

"“Ryan fits in real well just because his skill set is crucial to what we do"- Mike Dantoni.
    "He’s everything you want with a stretch four, and we have to have that type of player in our system - Mike Dantoni

"Morey said the Rockets were “obsessed” with Anderson and tried to trade for him multiple times over the years." - quote taken from that ringer article https://theringer.com/inside-daryl-...basketball-laboratory-8f5ccb6c6302#.ppl2solyy

" Anderson has only enhanced Harden’s already-dominant scoring abilities. Harden has a 55.8 effective field goal percentage when Anderson is on the court compared with only 46.5 when he’s off of it. This is largely due to Anderson’s gravitational pull as a floor spacer. Anderson scores an elite 1.4 points per possession when he shoots a no-dribble jumper out of pick-and-rolls, per Synergy, and shoots 42.8 percent from 3 on passes from Harden"- also from that ringer article.

I think when judging Andersons value, you need to look at the team holistically. I know a lot of clutchfans don't like this guy but morey, harden and dantoni all do.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Brewer, Tyler Anus and Hash Brown for a used condom, expired Doritos and some cream soda.

Tha_Dude and Snow Villiers like this.
  19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It's worth a shot but I doubt the Mavs would do it.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

firstly it is Wilson Chandler...not Chandler Wilson

secondly i wouldn't trade for Jarrett Jack with the Nets because he is a free agent, he no longer is there

Pen15clubber likes this.