1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Random Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jan 23, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Navarro+Stromile for James+ Head

Stromile and James make about the same annually except Stro has 1 year less on his contract.

I'm giving James the benefit of the doubt.

To be honest I was more worried about Bonzi's play than James's shooting slump. With Bonzi's game showing cracks again I'm beginning to wonder if James was unfortunate to be teamed with Bonzi off the bench.

Stromile is just a bust. Rockets take on Stromile's contract to get Navarro
    but since Swift has "negative trade value" they dump James extra year on them.

Grizzlies gave up a 1st round pick for Navarro but he signed a 1 year contract for near the min. They don't have his bird rights and they're not looking remotely like an attractive location for free agents to sign with. Head has another year at rookie scale, they trade for him to cut their loss on the Navarro deal.

Navarro's shot has been heating up over the last several games.

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

How about Kidd for T-Mac, straight-up? Would that work, money-wise?

3. drich

drich Member

first of all we need serious trades here and please explain why the trade would help both teams this trade doesn't help the rockets at all kidd is not better than tmac so don't compare the two STOP it really is disrespectful. You owe tmac an apology for this :rolleyes:

4. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I saw someone post a comment on Rosen's (Foxsports) latest article regarding trading T-Mac. He/she proposed trading Odom, Farmar, and a draft pick for T-Mac and Mike James. I don't see how it benefits either of the teams involved, but it still is food for thought. Just throwing it out there.

I'm a huge T-Mac fan, but his injuries are getting ridiculous. It's like he's cursed or something. I hope he's traded to a good team for players that will help Houston get over the hump, but there's probably no chance of that happening. He should give Houston a huge discount when his contract is up so that they can add some talent to the team's core.

5. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

What games are you watching that make you think Green is good? Yes he is athletic but he cant even get 12 min a game on the worst team in the NBA and averages under 5 points and about 2 rebounds. You really think he is going to come to the Rox and be able to contribute? He seems completely lost at times on the court. No way he helps this team more then Luther.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

How's Redick going to perform when he hasn't even got any chances on the court? He was injured last year and has received a total of 162 minutes this year. By comparison that's almost 100 minutes less than Aaron Brooks has played.

I read both Hollinger and Thorpe chat reports and they both seem to think Redick still has a lot to bring to the table for a contending team. Here was Thorpe's exact response:

Nick(Tampa): Coach With Lebron's ability to create 5 on 4 situations: Would Reddick be a good fit for Clevland?

David Thorpe: (12:04 PM ET ) Yes. But my question is, who does not need a shooter like him who's also competitive?

Personally, I am not a Luther Head fan. He's in his third year so it won't get much better than this, and he's only a "shooter" because we have no one else who can shoot better from the 3. He's currently shooting .361, second on the team to Battier's .368 (not good either if you're counting), and http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nba3ptpct&season=2008&league=nba . He is a career .400 3pt shooter, to his credit, but even that figure would place him 29th in the league among those with enough attempts.

Fact of the matter is, our BIGGEST weakness on this team is our shooting. If we shot better, Yao would have fewer turnovers and more points from not being doubled or tripled so often, he'd have more assists from kick-outs, and our overall spacing on the court in offense would be much better. Right now Houston as a team is shooting 33%, which is 26th in the league. Below us are the Hawks Clips Nets and Sixers. If we do any tweaking we should try to upgrade our shooting.

And it's not like Redick is only a spot up shooter. Throughout his final year in college as well as in summer league (this is the only context I'm using summer league experience in) he's demonstrated an ability to cut without the ball and also create off the dribble. He's taller than Head too. You forget that that trade was both an upgrade for our backup SG as well as a salary dump of Mike James. Which is why Orlando would never do it, but still when you consider everything that's a trade that benefits Houston.

7. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Navarro would be good, but Memphis isnt letting him go. Not for James or Head no way. Swift is more valuable to Memphis then he would be for Houston. Memphis would loose in that contract swap, This trade proposal is one sided in favor of Houston. If Memphis is trying to dump a bad contract they will dump Cardinal before Swift. Also, Why would they want Head when Navarro is a better shooter and better ball handeler then both James and Head, not to mention where does James play behind Conley and Lowry, this is why having Swift is more valuable to them. Doesnt make sense for Memphis.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

As I posted Navarro is on a 1yr deal. I doubt he re-signs with them next season.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I thought he was best buds with Gasol?

10. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I would do James+2nd rounder for Swift straight up but that isnt happening because Swift has a rotational spot with Memphis where James wont, and thats the only way your going to move James is to move him with a 2nd rounder for a guy with 1 less year.

11. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

You could trade James to Cleveland, New York, Memphis.

1) James to Cleveland for Marshall

2) James to New York for Malik Rose

3) James to Memphis for Swift

Those are possible places James could end up. Les wants to cut back salaries and those 3 players have 1 less year. To sweeten the deal Houston could always add a 2nd rounder. This at best is Mike James real value. Cleveland and New York could use James so thats your best bet if i was you. I would do Marshall deal in a heartbeat. Atleast he can spread the floor and T-Mac would find him alot.

12. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Shane Battier + Luther Head (maybe 2nd round pick)
    for
    Mike Miller

Kirk Snyder
    For
    JJ Redick

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Les wants to avoid luxury tax, those deals don't achieve that.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I base my conclusions on Green's Boston days rather than his Minny days -- his game declined since the trade, which IMO says more about the bad team he is on rather than his ability.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

That would be hilarious. Rockets would hold the record for getting players back that they traded away. I'll take any deal just to get rid of James' contract.

16. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Rockets Trade
    Mike James
    Shane Battier
    Kirk Snyder

Clippers
    Corey Maggette
    Sam Cassell

17. thumbs

According to both Maggette and the Clippers, it is unlikely Maggette is going anywhere else, no matter how much we or any other team covets him. That said, he will get traded next week. ;)

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Tmac, Rafer, and 1st Rounder for Jefferson and Kidd - already worked the numbers on Realgm. or Tmac and Battier for Jefferson and Kidd and 1st rounder.

Hayes, Luther, MJ, and Kirk for high IQ 3 and 2. - Nocioni and Hindrich

19. drich

drich Member

U might be able to talk Sacramento into taking shane, ron doesn't make a whole lot of money. this is what i propose and the reason it might work is because they are trying to dump kenny's contract plus they know that ron isn't going to be there next year. now that is where our gamble comes in at the end of the year we may be stuck with only kenny thomas's bad contract also we aren't sure if ron will resign with us. james would be there replacement once they move bibby to cleveland or the heat whichever it is they would now have a temporary replacement that is cheaper for 3 yrs. We will be hoping that coach RA will be the reason artest would want to resign with us :rolleyes:

our line up

rafer/brooks/francis
    tmac/bonzi/francis
    ron/bonzi
    scola/hayes
    yao/landry
    Sacramento Kings

Incoming Players
    Kirk Snyder
    Salary: $2,358,433 Years Remaining: 1
    PTS: 3.8 REB: 1.3 AST: 0.9 PER: 15.02

Shane Battier
    Salary: $5,883,600 Years Remaining: 4
    PTS: 8.4 REB: 4.9 AST: 1.8 PER: 10.92

Mike James
    Salary: $5,826,893 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 7.3 REB: 1.7 AST: 1.8 PER: 10.51

Outgoing Players: Kenny Thomas, Ron ArtestHouston Rockets

Incoming Players
    Kenny Thomas
    Salary: $7,875,000 Years Remaining: 3
    PTS: 1.4 REB: 2.7 AST: 0.6 PER: 2.74

Ron Artest
    Salary: $7,400,000 Years Remaining: 2
    PTS: 19.1 REB: 6.1 AST: 4.3 PER: 17.20

Outgoing Players: Kirk Snyder, Shane Battier, Mike James

you will not loose any defense in trading shane away because you are getting artest. After this year you just eat 2 years on kenny thomas contract also you give mike james contract away so why wouldn't you do this

20. thumbs

Granted, Artest would give us better defense and a great deal more offense. I just don't think the Kings would make this trade. I'd do it today and twice on Sunday if they only would.

Kenny Thomas is the original Chuck Hayes -- so that's not a bad thing. He's bigger, taller and a much better scorer than Hayes while being an equal as a defender. Of course, with Scola, Landry and K.T., fan favorite Hayes wouldn't even make 12th man on the roster.