1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Random Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jan 23, 2008.

1. BigTex

BigTex Member

Battier
    for
    Channing Frye
    James Jones

why portland does it- they need a veteran and roster space

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If I'm the rockets I would try and make a move for a half season or more rental in Sam Cassell. The situation would be kinda like the David Welsey and John Barry trades. I think he could help the rockets as the 2nd PG coming off the bench behind "Skip to my Brick". You get some old legs, but you get some offense, playoff experience, a guy that could help you close out games and doesn't miss his free throws when the cards are on the table, he gives the team a swagger and it would be sweet if he could end his career where he started. I still think he has some good basketball left in him. If the rockets could pull it off, it would seem like it would make the most sense, especially if your trying to get past the 1st round.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Earl Watson for James. Same money, same number of years. Both unhappy at where they are.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/348763_sonx25.html

4. dygaction

dygaction Member

I know we all love our rookies, but Brooks+Landry+first rounder for Jose Calderon, would you do it?

I will. Calderon with >50 fg and 43% 3pt, >8asst <2 TO will bring us to an elit level.

This guy's contract ends this year. Get it done, Morey!!!

5. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Okay don't know if someone else explained this earlier but has anyone explained trade rules for the NBA. You can't trade players without matching salaries. The rule is the total dollar amount of a trade must be within 125% of the dollar amount your team is ending out. In other words if you want to trade someone with a 1 million dollar salary the maximum salary for the player coming in is 1.25 million dollars. This rule is void if you under the salary cap but if I'm not mistaken only Minnesota and maybe a Portland are actually under. That's why big contracts are traded for big contracts thats the only way to get rid of them. That's why we are probably stuck with James and why Cleveland can do nothing about Hughes.

A trade I put through NBA trade machine on ESPN.com and works is:

Chicago gets:
    McGrady
    James
    Battier

Houston gets:
    Wallace
    Deng
    Hinrich

We would take in about 200,000-300,000 more in the trade. First let me say I don't think McGrady will be traded at all this season. With that said the trade seems to make since on both sides. Chicago gets the all-star they desperately want plus two pretty good players and Battier fits their system better. Houston gets a slight upgrade at PG, a player close to Mcgrady in Deng, and Wallace who would pair well with Yao. Think about it. With Wallace Yao can concentrate solely on O and help defense. Wallace guards the Duncan's or Amare's or what ever the dominant post player is letting Yao conserve energy and matchup on someone he could dominant defensively. Plus Yao can swing over for help D and pick up blocks like Camby does. Plus Wallace can rebound and with him and Yao we would have so many offensive rebounds.

I think Chicago gets the better end of he deal slightly because they give up two longer contracts in Hinrich (5 years left) and Wallace (I believe 4 years left) but I see no reason why Chicago wouldn't be willing to throw in a 1st or second round pick to finalize deal and make it more even.

6. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

hahaha yeah right. Jouston would be idiotic to do this. Tinsley is a complete headcase (trust me I not only live in Indiana but last summer interned with the Pacers). That in and of itself would be enough for a deal breaker but then add in that Tinsley has four years left on a worse contract than James and its a no brainer. Headcase + twice as long and more expensive contract=heck no.

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

It's not gonna happen. Tinsley the core of that Pacers team. It's almost impossible to move him.

Personally, I hope we could get a draft pick out of Snyder, and maybe an expiring for James.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pacers are going to be .286 (4-10) for January. Next month is going to be a horror schedule for them and the race for 8th seed is so tight in the EC a few losses sees them drop down to 12th seed.

Depending on how Scola & Landry both go against the Jazz & GS it could be time to take a chance on a trade.

Tinsley injured again, O'Neal is out. Pacers need a PG and big.

Rockets could give them Head & Hayes for Shawne Williams & Kareem Rush. Pacers get guys that would keep their playoff hopes alive, Rockets take a chance on Williams being the 3P shooting, shotblocking PF they've been looking to put next to Yao.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We should go after Thabo Sefolosha. We were interested in him last year when Morey was assisting CD so we knows he's got some potential. That's why I started watching him in Chicago...to see what we passed up on. He made some rookie mistakes and had some growing pains similar to Scola's this year; Skiles never really gave him a chance to live through them.

Despite that, he guarded a hobbled Wade in the playoffs and did a really great job. Right now he's struggling, but who on that team isn't? If we could get him, I think Shane could really be a good mentor to him. Sefolosha should be a Tayshaun Prince-type. God knows he's there's no one in Chicago that can teach him how to be that. We have the tools and we have the need.

11. Tornadoofsoul6

Kidd wants a trade again, anyone want to take guesses where he might go.

12. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

After i've seen the two games vs. Seattle i only want one trade:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...831~1051~2445~901&teams=10~25~25~25&te=&cash=

Get Wally please. He's a great shooter and can be the second man behind Battier at SF or maybe even behind McGrady at SG. Also since i heard RA likes McGrady coming off the bench let Wally start. He has a winning attitude and can be the back-up we need.
    The reason i chose MJ, Snyder & Bonzi because MJ is not producing, Snyder's not getting any playing time and Bonzi is too streaky. Wally is consistent.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I agree. If the Rockets could get Sefalosha as a project without having to give up too much (Snyder's expiring deal, Luther Head or maybe draft picks), I'd be all for it. Sefalosha was the Rockets' "Plan C" on draft night in 2006 (Brandon Roy being "Plan A" and Shane Battier being "Plan B"), so you know that Morey likes him. Long arms, good defender, with the potential to become a good scorer. The Tayshawn Prince comparison is not far off.

14. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I know this will probably be fighted and there are probably ALOT of things wrong with this trade....but tell me what you guys think. The following teams all have bad records, but if this goes through each can do pretty well.

Rockets get
    Jason Kidd (Nets)
    Demetris Nichols (Bulls)

New Jersey Gets
    Tyrus Thomas(Bulls)
    Shane Battier (Rockets)
    Rafer Alston(Rockets)
    Brian Cardinal(Memphis)
    Rockets protected 1st Round Draft Pick for 2008/2009 and unprotected 2010

Chicago Bulls get
    Kirk Snyder(Rockets) ...expiring contract
    Pau Gasol(Memphis)

Memphis gets
    Ben Gordon(Bulls)
    Andres Nocioni(Bulls)
    Mike James(Rockets)

Rockets do this trade because well we can team Jason Kidd with tmac and Yao and hope short term we do well, without risking our future(AB, landry, Scola)

Chicago does this trade because they need to stir the pot. They have allready talked about trading Tyrus Thomas and getting Pau Gasol in return can give them that inside scoring they desperately need.

Memphis does this trade because they are trying to build around Rudy Gay. With Gay, Gordon, Miller in the backcourt is pretty solid with Nocioni and James coming off the bench. James/Gordon makes up for loss of Stoudemire.

New Jersey does this because well...getting rid of Kidd is going to be hard. Might as well get an athletic PF that can score in Thomas and a replacement for Kidd in Alston. Shane and the 1st rounder are added just to sweeten the deal and Cardinal was added to make salaries work. Nets get screwed over, but what team doesn't when you trade a franchise player away.

....Three guys that make HUGE Salaries on the rockets is reaching it a little, but id risk it just to see what happens.

C: Yao/ Deke
    PF: Scola/Hayes/ Landry
    SF:Tmac/Nichols/Novak
    SG: Bonzi/Head/
    PG: Kidd/ Francis/ Brooks

15. poprocks

poprocks Member

Only two guys I want off our team are James and Snyder. Find one player who is good enough for those two guys in a 2:1 deal and I'm happy. Open up a roster spot and bring Harris back in.

16. Guru

Guru Member

^^Gerald Green

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he is willing to work hard and not demand minutes he might be worth taking a chance on.I would expect a 1st rounder to be the price for him.After seeing Landry and Brooks this year I'm somewhat hesitant to giving up this year's 1st round pick especially with Green being a UFA, but I'm not totally opposed to it because of his outside shooting ability.

18. xishi

xishi Member

yes to gerald green. yes to wally szczerbiak.

19. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Mcgrady
    Alston
    James
    Novak
    1st rounder

for

Kidd
    Carter

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think many of you guys realize that Gerald Green sucks. It's not just that he's young, he just doesn't have much of a bball foundation to build on.