1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official CF.net nickname for the Yao & T-Mac combo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 8, 2004.

?

The official CF.net nickname for the Yao & T-Mac combo

Poll closed Jul 13, 2004.
  1. M&M

187 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Big Mac

113 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. The 1s

101 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. McDynasty

137 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Rush Hour

113 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. M2

57 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. 111

46 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Based on this thread , people have expressed their interests in setting up this poll for the official CF.net nickname for the Yao T-Mac combo. We also made some great suggests on the possible nicknames.

Based on people's feedbacks, I selected these ones as the most popular candidates. I will keep the poll up for 5 days (until 11:59pm on Monday 7/12), and the one gets the most votes will become the official CF.net nickname for Yao/T-Mac combo.

After the poll is over, we will suggest this nickname to Tim as our choice, and suggest he markets it within the Rockets organization. Of course, whether or not Tim is going to do it will be based purely on his and his management team's judgement and decisions. We as a whole will simply make a collective suggestion.

BTW, I didn't include some popular ones such as "chicken'n'rice", because there is no way Tim can promote this nickname. Also, I didn't put names like Yao-Mac, Y-Mac, McMing, McYao there, because I think those are simply the recombination of the words Yao and T-Mac. We need something creative.

Now, let the fun begins!

2. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Whose sig reads "The 1s to watch"? 1, 11 -- I like it!

3. DeAleck

You have "The 1s" and "111" there. If they win, you can tweak them anyway you want.

4. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

what happened to chicken and rice?

5. yb001

yb001 Member

MY Dynasty

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Read his post. :)

Anything but Big-Mac.

7. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

DeAleck, I like the idea of a poll, but, realistically, I'm not sure this will make a nickname stick. It's the kind of thing that needs to happen naturally, organically. Last year I conducted a similar poll for the Toyota Center. "The Showroom" won. But that hasn't really entrenched itself in our Rockets lexicon.

Incidentally, my vote is for "The 1s." As I posted in the other thread, I think that "BigMac", while catchy, somehow loses sight of Yao. It sounds like Tracy McGrady on steroids.

Advantages of "The 1s":

-Works on many levels--- The jersey numbers; the fact that, on any other team, both T-Mac and Yao would be option #1; the implication that they're the "chosen ones" to lead us to the promised land.

-There's something mythic about it, in a way that "BigMac" or "M2" doesn't quite convey

-It's not dependent upon other brands or products (like McDonalds, or M&M)

-It's timeless. Unlike a Chris Tucker movie that will be almost forgotten three years from now.

8. DeAleck

Rasselas, I understand the possibility that the winner won't stick. But I think it's fine, in my opinion.

First of all, one of the reasons that this poll existed in the first place is based on popular demand. People want to have some fun.

Secondly, its purpose is also to make suggestions to Tim, who might take some inspirations from this poll.

Thirdly, the whole process of the poll is trying stick it to the BBSers. It might or might not last, but it doesn't matter. Someone someday might come up with a brilliant nickname, and this one might be long forgotten. However, it's worth a try. If it succeeds, we've hit a homerun. If not, it's OK too.

Finally, people want to have some fun.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Is there any way we can make this a sticky or something so it doesn't get lost with all the other threads?

10. DeAleck

If Clutch, Jeff and Dr allow it, I am all for it. Would you please, the crew guys? :)

11. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a spoil-sport. I'm all for it! I just didn't want you to get your hopes up. And thanks for taking the time to organize the poll; I think it's a good idea. (And it is much more fun than a 15th point guard poll!)

One suggestion, though.

After the 4 or 5 days, or whatever, it might be worthwhile to have a second, "Finalst" poll for the two leadining contendors. The reason? If a nickname wins a plurality of the vote, it might not actually win the majority (vs. another nickname). Let's say, for instance, that only 25% of Rockets fans like a certain nickname, but they're VERY, VERY passionate about it. Hypothetically, since it's not part of the poll, let's call it "Chicken n' Rice." Maybe the other 75% of the Rockets fans HATE that nickname, and would rather have anything than "Chicken n' Rice."

"Chicken n' Rice" would win the first poll, the one of 6 nicknames, since everyone else's votes would be distributed amongst the other 5 candidates. It should lose in the second poll, though, because it's possible that the majority of fans don't like that nickname.

12. DeAleck

I want to thank you for the suggestions. The more the better. In fact, I really like your idea of having a final two showdown. I actually thought about a survivor serie of polls, that we will have a poll everyday, and eliminate a candidate at the end of that day and start a new one the next day until the final one. However, I am pretty sure this will drive the crew nuts and just lock the whole thing down. So I decided not to do the survivor one.

However, your suggestion actually solved the problem of plural options. I think I will do it.

13. Yun

Yun Member

I have changed my mind. I think the 1s is better than the big-mac and will work well on a T-shirt.:)

14. xcharged

xcharged Member

Supersized and McGreedy

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I think this is great, and a great thing to brainstorm. But, I think you are moving to judgement and conclusion way too fast. I've done this as a service to numerous corporations, and it needs time for everyone to develope ownership of it. IMHO, you should continue to stimulate and enjoy the creative process, since I don't believe any of the ones you have listed here will stick, even though some of them are interesting ideas. I wouldn't vote on any of the ones listed, nor do I think they are reflective of the duo.

For one thing, I have a feeling that neither of them are going to want to be named as a duo. They are going to want to emphasize "team." But, I do agree that sportscasters will want to reference them, like the Dynamic Duo, or whatever ...

But, you might want to list various names, and then have everyone brainstorm their pros and cons on each name, until you build consensus. If you try to get everyone to make a decision now, before including everyone and fully examining all the possibilities, you'll have a hard time selling it.

In my opinion, you should also list every name that has been thrown out, instead of you deciding your best list. You will inadavertantly offend various posters who put up names that you ignored. Once you've collected all of the list, then you can vote, and people will not feel snubbed, if they know that majority rules. You are not boring everyone by continuing the brainstorming process.

#15 Sherlock, Jul 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  16. New Jack

New Jack Member

Does the nickname have to involve their names or numbers?

I honestly can't imagine a sportscaster ever referring to Yao and Mcgrady as any of those nicknames. Maybe a more general nickname would be better (ie. "Houston's Gruesome Twosome" or something to that effect).

17. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Big Mac attack is going to stick.

Yao Ming, Tracy Mc Grady and the Houston Rockets bring their BigMac attack to Seattle Colliseum this Fri, October 29, in a thrilling matchup of teams that with major offseason change. Former Sonic Brent Barry figures to play a prominent role, leading the charge for the Rockets.
    Jeff Van Gundy and Nate Mc Millan are known for their defense, but these teams figure to score in bunches.

You can't just slip that in the copy with 111, M2, or whatever.

18. DeAleck

That's a great point, Sherlock. The reason I put this up this quickly, is because I believe a good nickname should pop up on people's mind fast. It will ring a bell immediately when you put the images of Yao and T-Mac together, and that's why I waited only a day before I put up the poll. I believe the best ideas would have been here already.

However, you might very well be right that I jumped to conclusion too fast. But, this poll is by no means trying to put a stop on the brainstorming process. New suggestions are still welcomed. I am pretty sure, in these 5 days, if we see some outstanding suggestions, we will figure out a way to give people that choice. If we get alot of them, I can start a new poll after 5 days with new suggestions. Then, we can have a Final Four, and the Final, stuff like that. Again, I am pretty sure we can work something out and everyone will be happy.

This is all about fun. The more the better!

Thanks again!

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The only problem with that is that back in '96, Les Alexander and his ex-wife shot down "Big Mack Attack" as Sam Mack's resident nickname. The Alexanders are huge animal rights activists, so chances are they're going to shoot down anything related to the "inhumane" killing of animals, a la McDonalds.

Oh well... what can you do?

20. DeAleck

Ouch, that puts a big no no on "Big Mac". Well, let's hope it doesn't win. :)