1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones is the answer....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cheke64, Nov 18, 2012.

1. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Wingspan actually 7' 2.25"
    6'9.5" is with shoe on.

Draftexpress is good place get exact pre-draft measurement. Please note with player being drafted at 19 sometime some continue grow while in NBA believe or not.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrence-Jones-5708/

2. Playaz

Playaz Member

While I'm happy at how Terrence Jones is performing thus far, you guys need to lower your expectations. I'm not usually the one to kill happy vibes but the way some posters are bashing the starters when they have a bad game tells me you guys are expecting way too much from the players.

I'm willing to bet that the same people who praise Jones right now will be the first in line to bash Jones the minute he have a bad stretch. I wouldn't dare see the forum if he cost us a game.

Every single player on the roster who played significant minutes for more than 4 games got bashed. It will happen to Jones too if people think he's the next big thing. Omer, Harden, Lin, 2Pat and CP all got blasted in the forum because you guys are expecting the moon from them. For that reason, calm the fawks down. I don't want to see another Rockets player blasted by their supposed "fans".

1 person likes this.
  3. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I apologize for sounding like a douche earlier.

Your argument still sucks, though.

A) Terrence Jones isn't 6'8.25" in shoes as you stated originally. He is 6'9.5" in shoes. Historically that usually has been a listed NBA height of 6'10".

B) The link you quoted has the following table in it:
    http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173090/Draft_Prospects_Measuring_large.png
    From that we can see that Terrence Jones actually is bigger than the average measured PF in 3 out of 4 categories listed: Height without shoes, weight and wingspan.

C) Terrence's actual play on the court has showed that he certainly isn't undersized for PF and might even pass for a C depending on the matchup.

I don't know why some people have the idea that he is undersized? His not so elite rebounding so far? Has little correlation to being "prototypical" size at the PF position - most elite rebounding NBA PFs have been between 6'6 and 6'9" in shoes: Rodman, Barkley, Malone, Boozer, Tyrone Hill, Zach Randolph, Reggie Evans etc.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

But... but... everyone told me he wasn't ready to play yet, and McHale and staff clearly know so much more than me since they get to see him in practice.

Oh I get it, he wasn't ready to play a few weeks ago but now suddenly he is... :rolleyes:

5. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

If Patterson was even an average rebounder, I would disagree. But he's not.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That pretty much is the game here. React vehemently to an insignificant sample size, and then totally reverse that to adoration after 2 good games. They just lurch around following the crowd. I thought Morris's start of the season was a classic example.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a combo foward with athleticism, certainly more aggressive than Patterson.
    He should come off the bench. He is a rookie,and too many expectations should not be placed on his shoulders. If he continues to work hard,he will keep on improving.

8. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

how can the dude still not be getting some clock ?

9. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

TJ may be the answer in the future ....would have been a better thread title

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

LOL

Alright To give some more compare and contrast for Terrence Jones physical traits....

Here's some notable PF's that are physically similar to T- Jones....(measurements come from NBA Draft combine)

Kevin Love
    w/t out shoes 6'7.75 - w/t shoes 6'9.5 - wingspan 6'11.25 - standing reach 8'10 - max vert 35 - max vert reach 11'9

Blake Griffin
    w/t out shoes 6'8.5 - w/t shoes 6'10 - wingspan 6'11.25 - standing reach 8'9 - max vert 35.5 - max vert reach 11'8.5

Terrence Jones
    w/t out shoes 6'8.25 - w/t shoes 6'9.5 - wingspan 7'2.25 - standing reach 8'11 - max vert 34.5 - max vert reach 11'9.5

I don't think anyone considers Griffin or Love undersized, right?

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Dwight and Tjones, the sickest and most athletic fronline duo ever. D-mo ain't ready.

...don't forget to rate this thread 5 stars.

12. herro

herro Member

I don't know if Jones will be ready to start in the NBA by this upcoming season, but I hate the idea of losing him in a trade.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Between Jones, DMo, and Smith, I think we're fine at the 4. Someone will take the next step. No reason to pay a guy $13 mil a year when the young guys behind him are capable of big things at cheap prices, if given the opportunity. We should keep Asik and move Lin for shooters.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hell to the Yeah.... We have the Original and the Lesser Howard!!!
    I am a huge fan of Terrence and I hope he can prove himself more

15. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

OP clearly erred. Title is supposed to read ' Donatas Motiejunas is the Answer...'

Understandable mistake. The names are practically the same.

;)

16. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

I actually would prefer to see Greg Smith back up Howard and Terrence Jones back up D-Mo.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I remember Terrence was blocking shots at a pretty good rate when he got his chance at the end of last season. I just wonder how comparable he would be to Josh Smith on defense. What's Terrence's lateral quickness like? Maybe the kid just needs more of a chance?

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

With the summer leauge starting in about 24 hours will get to see how T-Jones has been coming along.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Ironically, aren't we playing Philly? Royce White sighting?..LOL

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

same here...

I would love to see him here next season. IMO Morey knows the potential of the kid and is kinda keeping him low - out of sight