1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones is the answer....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cheke64, Nov 18, 2012.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

6-9 has always been considered undersized for a PF.

2. Genuine

Genuine Member

tell that to Charles Barkley, Larry Johnson, Karl Malone

all below 6'9''

3. Prince

Prince Member

didn't we lost last night ?

4. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

It's actually even worse than this.

According to combine results, where people are--you know--actually measuring these guys with a tape measure--Terrence Jones is just 6' 8 1/4 inches tall in shoes.

The extra inch was added on to make him seem like even less of a tweener at the spot than he already is.

It's not like he has long arms or something, either. Jones also has a standing reach of just 8' 9 1/2 inches, which is below the historical average at the position of 8' 10 1/2 inches.

Ooops.

5. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

6'9 to 6'10 has been the size of PF. 6'8 is undersized.
    He's got a 7'2 wingspan, not superb but definitely not undersized.

6. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

have been saying this since the draft. he was overshadowed by davis and mkg last year but if he came out in 2011, he could have been teammates with kyrie irving instead of tristan thompson

7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This reminders me of this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34789/kevin-love-and-height-liars-in-shoes

Height exaggeration is just part of the association. These guys are superb athletes and we need really only worry about can they get the job done. I've always thought additional strength was more of an asset to a power forward than an extra inch of height.

I think time in the weight room will do this player wonders. He's a fierce competitor.

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I think the fact that Jones may be physically stronger than Patterson may be worth whatever legitimate one-inch height advantage Patrick has over him.

If we have this understanding that a long four like Aldridge will destroy either of them anyway, then the Rockets might as well put some bulk out there.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

They are great players but it doesn't change that 610/6-11 is considered to be the prototypical size at that position around the league.

10. onreego

onreego Member

I would say the average height of a PF in the NBA is 6'9". Would you consider Kevin Love undersized? How about Otis Thorpe? I'm just wondering how the term "undersized" got tied to only some 6'9" PFs. Perhaps it has something to do with them being tweeners? Or perhaps because these guys are no longer the dirty work type players of before that bang down low in the paint.

11. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

According to people who--you know--actually know how to read-- Terrence Jones is just 6' 8 1/4 inches tall WITHOUT shoes and just 6'9.5" tall in shoes.

OOopps.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrence-Jones-5708/
    http://nbadraft.net/2012-nba-combine-measurements

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

It's not just the length, it's the frame and the bulk of the player. Barkley was 6'6 but he occupied a lot of space because he was wide, plus he was strong. Whereas T-Mac was 6'8 but no way could he play PF fulltime.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I'm sure reading this sounded better in your head, as you copy-pasted my words in an effort to be deliberately offensive and snitty for no reason at all like you're anything but a stranger to me. I notice you've been here a while but haven't posted much. Post less. Here's what I was going by, which compares Jones to historical averages for the position:

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago...measurements-2012-draft-combine-lottery-picks

Notice how it says without shoes. This is what I was reading and going by, because I'm the type who wants to know what these numbers *mean* compared to other players who play the same positions.

But all this doesn't change the fact that Jones is undersized at the position by a substantial margin. Not whatever it is you think is meaningful about what you posted.

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Ignoring the point. Bickering with me over inches. Save it for your bedroom, son. :grin:

15. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

2 Hall of famers and multiple all stars that are all wide and strong as an ox.

16. Know Your Role

Ok so we saw how badass Tjones is last night on offense, but how do you guys think he did on D? Also can he post up or is he primarily a face the basket guy? I saw him tear the Lakers up a little but did not pay much attention to him after his first stint in the game.

I've come to recognize that I am not the player scout I think I am so I will hold back my opinion of the guy.

17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Problem: Terrence Jones is too short at the position irrespective of whether he has shoes on or not.

Solution: Taller shoes.

[​IMG]

18. Pete the Cheat

I rated this thread 1 star for purposes of reverse jinx

19. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Dude won't even be 21 until January - I bet he grows another inch.

There is no doubt he is still a bit raw. But what we saw last night is a clear indication of his potential as an excellent 4 with elite defensive skills.

Very excited to finally see him get some real minutes . . . like last year with Chandler - would not be surprised if he forces his way into the starting lineup - rookie year.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

luther head, budinger, patterson......all rocket players who started out very impressive and then turned into duds by their 2nd or 3rd years..

let's hope that jones follows the carl landry route instead...