1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Talk 790] Daryl Morey Interviews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This team has performed at about a .500-ish level so far, about what it takes to get either the last seed or just miss out. If the Röckets puts together a 10, 15 stretch of strong games to weak games going forward, then I am sure he will adjust his evaluation of the team accordingly. But the next 10 or 15 games hasn't happened yet, and the data says what it says no matter what Morey says. What he says also makes no difference in what the players will do. They will try their best to keep improving (and so will their opponents).

I mean, you complain about Morey not putting in a positive take, but if he says what you want, the people like DD accuse Morey of spinning and lying to fans for PR reasons.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not sure the rockets will be a bubble team come march unless something changes -- right now they have a respectable record considering all that the team has gone through but they are a dismal 1-7 against the west -- as they continue on to play more western conference teams they probably will end up losing more than they win. and honestly as much as I would like the rockets to make the playoffs -- they would most likely be 1st round fodder -- instead a higher draft pick would do more good to the team. Right now there are a lot of glaring holes on the team - namely the backcourt depth that could be addressed through the draft. With the current max cap space that is anticipated this offseason the higher draft pick and immediate salary relief may help with any trades for an all-star that isnt a free agent

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Great post, but no one can stop that suddenly....

4. Carl Herrera

Maybe a silver dollar. A dime is just unrealistic.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think 790 is better than 610 at basically everything, but I found Charlie to be oddly incompetent when it comes to basketball. Kind of weird, because I tend not to have much issues with him on baseball or football. And he's never really talked basketball before, so never knew about his lack of basketball knowledge until now.

Matt and Adam talking about the Rockets is fun though. They are probably the only talk show hosts that actually are big Rockets fans.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In what way? What are some things he said which you think are ignorant or you disagree with?

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sorry I can only remember one off the top of my head. Sports talk is only something I listen to while exercising, and generally leaves my brain quickly afterwards. But one I still remember was Charlie making a statement about how basketball players don't improve their shooting over the years, in reference to whether or not Jeremy Lin can shoot better in the future. When I heard that, I honestly thought I must've misheard him. I can't even give him the benefit of the doubt of referring to big stiffs, like Kelvin Cato or Asik never developing a jumper. But the guy was referring to an NBA PG that shot 32% from 3s last season. It's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard from someone who fancies himself very knowledgeable in sports.

8. just a word

just a word Member

If you don't think it's optimistic for him to ALREADY be talking about playoffs about a team that doesn't have enough minutes between them to count for two full seasons of basketball I don't even know what to tell you.

Reality check: if you add up Harden and Delfino's total minutes, they add up to just about the total minutes of the rest of the 13 guys combined.

Kevin McHale has personally played more minutes than the entire team.:p

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I flip between 790 (better) and 610 (fallback). Yesterday Josh (fat whiny puke) and Rich (middle-aged kiss-a$$) started their Dary Morey bashing again.

When they lost the Rockets, 610 didn't hesitate to pile on Morey. Then Josh had his on-air meltdown with Morey. And is still acting petulant about all things Rockets---they're irrelevant, Morey's not doing a good job, I could care less about the Rockets.

Wonder how they'd sound if 610 ever lost the Texans. Not that 610 would survive the loss. If 790 had a stronger signal and people weren't so hidebound, 790'd be more popular. Or should be. 610 keeps getting worse.

11. recboil

recboil Member

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Thanks a lot for posting these. Much appreciated. I always give them a listen.

13. kozmo

kozmo Member

The Rockets will get into the playoffs but its silly to expect them to do much more than that. They need a quality BIG, Osik is a backup....like him, he works hard but he cant finish and the turnovers, wow he cant catch the ball.... they are inconsistant with the forwards.....they have 2 great guards who cant seem to play together....Lin is passing up open shots when Harden is on the floor. But when hes by himself he puts up 38? This team will make the playoffs and thats it

14. FranchiseReDeux

give that we were what 6th(?) a few weeks ago, i'm pretty sure he'll still keep his pov.

15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Today's interview:

(Starts at 32:58)
    <iframe width="658" height="371" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=22725491&osu=null&startButtonColor=0xffffff" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  16. roxxy

roxxy Member

Thanks for the video. Good to hear that Patt news is leaning towards the positive.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Listening to that video, I simply become even more convinced that Morey's aim is an All Star caliber (of course) big who can shoot the 3....and at a clip no worse than 33%.

Not that it's news, but when he talks about Pat shooting from outside and we need a floor-spacing player...

So, find such a player who's actually a potential "get" and....there you go.

18. Carl Herrera

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk&desktop_uri=/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk

19. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Ryan Anderson? and he can rebound. The three amigos from Cali...Harden, Lin and Anderson.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Floor spacer the 4 and defense. It sounds like DM still has the hots for Danny Granger. With LeBron & Melo having success there more teams are going to copy the idea of playing "small" there.