1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Talk 790] Daryl Morey Interviews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We'll never have a more candid and intelligent GM. Morey is freaking awesome. That was a fun listen.

...he was totally blowing kisses at Chris Paul too...which I completely approve of. Morey is crafty.

2. plee

plee Member

If 610 didn't have the Texans, it would probably be dead last in the ratings. Their drive home show has steadily gone downhill...

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol... yeah. "Pfftt.... morons out there actually thought Deron was a better PG.... idiots.... me love u long time Chrissy!"

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

^^This.

5. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

$80 million in Houston is just as good as $105 in L.A...

The second best player on the Clippers is J Crawford and he's 32 years old...

Houston has a bonafide super star and the Clippers have an All Star player that is fun to watch dunk.

"Hello Chris Paul, welcome to Houston"...

6. Nook

Nook Member

Morey gave the only response he could. The team is playing well with good chemistry. The last thing he is going to do is make the players wonder whom is staying and whom is leaving. Look at the fallout from the League rejecting the Gasol deal, the team never recovered.

A number of outlets have reported the Rockets will be heavily involved in discussions.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Chris seems and i'd guess is extremely happy on his, best record in the nba team, his 17 game winning steak team, on his being highly regarded as this years possible mvp, team. Why would he want to leave?

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Because DM the GM always is.

But - - there is little way to swing a BIG deal.

Milsap could come. Is he a BIG deal? Jeff may well come in July. He might be a BIG deal.

9. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

No, I doubt it.

First of all, the tax benefit only applies to home games, so on away games, you still have to pay tax for income earned at the rate of each individual state that you play in.

Second, LA has more endorsement opportunities as well as more lucrative deals due to the larger market and exposure compared to Houston.

Third, tax rates are on a graduated incremental scale, so it's not like the entire taxable income amount is taxed at the same high rate, which lessens the gap.

Fourth, other teams are able to avail themselves of the same zero Texas state income tax when they visit and play in Houston (or San Antonio or Dalls), thus reducing the gap even further.

The benefits of having no state tax in Texas vs. playing for a team in a high tax/high market endorsement city are overblown. There might be some slight benefit, but nothing that will sway decisions for free agents despite Morey's best efforts (such as his pitchbook presented to free agents on the tax issue, which is surely skewed to try to persuade).

I would take $105M in LA over $80M in Houston any day.

10. Arthurprescott2

What the hell? First time I've ever heard of that. Can't possibly be true.

11. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Yes, it's true. There's a special sports law that's designed exactly for athletes who travel from state to state.

12. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Here's an example from http://www.alpern.com/tax-professional-athletes

So the portion of an athlete's income earned in a particular state (either determined via the Duty Days method or the Games Played method) is subject to that state's tax laws.

13. laserguy183

laserguy183 Member

True, but it is still a significant amount of money since 41 home games + 4 games in DAL and SAS will be played in TX rather than 9-12 games played in TX if you play in California. If you're a player on a minimum deal, not a lot of money. When you sign a 80 million dollar contract however- it's a lot of money.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

To be fair, stat geeks have long found CP3 to be underrated. But due to lack of team success from severe lack of surrounding talent, he always got lesser coverage than Nash and DWill.

Here's hoping to a Clippers first round exit and locker room issues unfold. :)

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

~37:07
    <iframe width="658" height="371" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=22790411&osu=null&startButtonColor=0xffffff" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

As a GM, when you go through the draft process, how thorough do you have to get with background checks?

We do background checks and I'd say the majority of the league...pretty commonly done among the top 15-40 guys depending on the team and our focus group. Yeah, it's done.

Team has to do that? League doesn't do it?

It's been talked about as a league thing but it's a team effort to do your own background checks.

A point where its difficult to get out of it because its a youthful group and it's now gone on for five games?

You definitely want to see progress. Our transition D is still an issue, turnovers still an issue. I have seen progress but hard to see that in a five game losing streak. We have to continue to work hard. We knew this stretch in January would be tough. We had a bunch of winnable games in here that we could have won that we didn't and that's what makes it tougher. We're not getting blown out. In the big picture, that's good, in the small picture, that's frustrating we've been in all these games, except Boston. All these games within 10. Those are good signs for the future but in the middle of it, it's frustrating.

Beverely got in the game last night for meaningful minutes. What do you like what you've seen from him? Does he offer something different from your other PGs?

Definitely offers something different. He's been a spark. We brought him over from Russia. He's really impressed the coaches in practice quickly. Played well with our D-League team. He brings a defensive intensity and physicality and athleticism that is different at that position. The coaching staff feels like he maybe can give us a different look. He's so hungry to be an NBA player he brings an energy and enthusiasm that maybe the group needed to see a guy as hungry as him to prove himself. I was happy for him. He gave us quality minutes.

Even for you guys, it seems like an excessive(ness) with the yoyo that Terrence Jones has been on. I know it's not intentional but has gone back and forth so frequently. The way he has been used this year as a roster piece, are you disappointed how it's played out? Liked to see more of an opportunity to see him stay in one place or get court time, whether in practice or in games?

We want him to get practice time with the Rockets and play games. We brought him up for that one practice because that was the only one we were going to have for awhile. Obviously with all 15 players, we're bringing them all in, hopefully they contribute to the team but the reality is they can't. Whether Jones, White, Donatas or Lamb, we were gonna have guys who don't play.

I talked with Parsons after the Clippers game and McHale mentioned it also, the frustration on the defensive end with repeated mistakes, a guy scores five times in a row and you don't try to do something different. This team on a learning curve and how you feel like they're taking to coaching and correction. Maturity for some players in that regard?

No, we have a good group. They're working hard. It's a hard league to win in, especially at the age of our team. I think we'll learn a lot, obviously how we come out of this losing streak and how we handle it. Losing streaks teach you a lot. Will we start pointing fingers or blaming others or will players take it upon themselves to help us get out of it? By in large, we have a group looking in the mirror asking "How can I do things better?" I understand, in the middle of a losing streak, there will be frustration among fans, players, coaches, GMs. The main thing is we have to stay together and focus on how we improve as group and not start pointing fingers. We have done that. Hopefully we turn things around against Indiana and Minnesota. Indiana game will be interesting. They have the best defense in the league. A clash of styles and a test for us.

What you just said, do you think there is the right kind of friction that could help things, whether player to player or coach to player, that while things are going this way, someone is there to shake people or be a voice others will follow?

We were probably feeling too good about ourselves. We were winning games, we were making shots, we were 21-14 and things were seeming easy. Especially with a young group, you need some tension to remind you that this is a tough league and every day gotta be something where you bring the right approach, the right habits and the right work ethic to improve your game and work with your teammates. The losing streak can help remind everybody where "Hey, you gotta stay vigilant and you gotta stay focused on improving what we need to improve."

This finishes in hour 4, but hour 4 is not posted. Well, it is but they linked hour 3(this) to hour 4.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

Words can't describe how much I appreciate you posting these things. This was really interesting. This part really caught my attention. I love Morey for being so forthcoming in these interviews. He always says something intriguing that makes me change my opinions on things. I think being such a young team you don't want guys getting complacent. Even if Bev doesn't even hit the rotation just having his presence in the locker room would do wonders.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

More like Edger Bever

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Chris Paul isn't coming to Houston, it would take an unreal meltdown. He's got everything in LA. On the basketball side of things all the players want to play in LA, as is he's got a great roster constructed around him and Griffin and plenty of veterans have and will continue to line-up to join his crew and the Clippers franchise has almost entirely shed it's negative reputation as 'the other LA team'.

Outside of basketball he has national endorsement, celebrity and the lifestyle.

Maybe if they lose in the first round he might have a flicker of doubt in his mind but I don't see who would upset them in the play-offs and he's got to realise that the Clippers are probably the 2nd best team in the West currently and moving forward and him moving to any other team won't improve his chances of usurping the Thunder.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member