1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Talk 790] Daryl Morey Interviews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 28, 2012.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

1 person likes this.
  2. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better to wait than to blow your wad on a lateral move. As Morey said, this is the last big move, gotta make sure you don't mess this up. I'd like to pick up Derrick Williams as a small side move.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for posting this and a recap. The parts that caught my attention are:

1. Morey says they want another Allstar, but not necessarily one as good as Harden, who is a top 10 player in his mind.

2. Morey says it would be good, but not necessary, to have a post option. Also, it would be preferable for the post option to be a 5 than a 4 (though not necessary) for floor spacing purposes.

So, I wonder of Morey thinks the team is close enough to contention that he would be willing to spend to add a Josh Smith/Paul Millsap level guy (I.e., borderline Allstar level).

#83 Carl Herrera, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I call shinanigans. I bet Morey knew exactly what the line was in Texans v. Patriots. And, I bet that he has already inputed all his geek squad stats into big blue and gotten the final results of the game. Texans not only for the cover...but Texans FTW. :cool:

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Which makes sense to hold off for the offseason.

Sign one of them w/o giving up players or picks.

Trade spare parts (players with talent but no current role on the team) you don't need for draft picks or parts you do need.

Build around Harden, The 4 You Sign, Parsons, Asik, and maybe Lin (and never keep your eye off Kevin Love [so to speak])

#85 ROXTXIA, Jan 10, 2013
  6. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

and Greg Smith

7. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I think the PF trade targets this deadline are Millsap, Bass, Cousins and Smith..will DM stay pat? Come on! He's a wizard..

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Well, there are 26 All-Stars, so let's say when Morey is talking about "All-Star caliber guys", he's referring to guys you without a doubt can say are top-35 players.

Guys like Josh Smith and Millsap, like you said, are very much borderline.

With Morey also adding that they would want their post option to be a 5 not a 4 for floor spacing purposes (which makes a lot of sense), one would think that pretty much rules out Smith, no?

Millsap, I'm really not sure. I want to believe Morey and the Rockets are aiming higher, yet Millsap kinda has "Morey guy" written all over him and Millsap, like Patterson and Channing Frye has the range and touch to turn into a very capable 3-point shooter big.
    I think they'll explore other options first, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them going after Millsap.

That one is just silly to me. Poor defender, limited range, inefficient, black hole tendencies, overpaid.

1 person likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

1. Is Smith really a low-post option?

2. Agree about Millsap's game/fit. Wonder if, barring an indication that CP or Dwight Howard is realistically thinking about moving, that Millsap might get the Midnight Visit like Asik did last July. Millsap's got that Asik/Bosh smell to it as a guy that Morey would love more than most fans. Also might be underrated by his traditional stats so perhaps available at lowball price (small chance, though, as bidding almost always get high in free agency)-- tends to be a good +/- guy.

3. Re: Low Post Options: Throwing out a couple names: Al Jefferson (possible Kevin McHale homeboy discount? Can play 4/5), Nikola Pekovic (can he platoon with Omer or possibly replace Omer? Omer is great, but heavy minutes seems to wear him down).

Don't be shocked at a "#HoustonLuvsMillsap" midnight twitter campaign.

Agreed, there's much bigger fish for Morey to fry. Seems more likely a target for the Nets.

#89 Carl Herrera, Jan 10, 2013
  10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Oh, no. What I was trying to say is that he can't shoot. :)

11. Carl Herrera

He can shoot. Just don't make as many as you like.

12. arjun

arjun Member

moves before deadline:
    Millsap (short term)
    aldridge/love (long term)

if above do not go through, I fully expect us to go after josh smith as a free agent.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A low post 5 would have to be a backup kind of guy, right? I assume that Asik is the permanent starting 5 for us.

... unless it's a PF who can BOTH score in the low post AND space the floor (Aldridge, Bosh). That would be his second star acquisition.

Or we can think outside the box and get a low post 4 and a stretch 5 (Brad Miller type).

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Josh is a low-choice option, fool's gold. Let Ferry retain him or send him elsewhere. Good player who plays beneath his talent.

I'm good to go with Milsap if that is the analytical direction and assuming a willingness to resign in TheToyShop. If PM goes elsewhere in February then how much does that lessen the likelihood he could be persuaded to come here?

Jeff. Now, there is my 'guess' as to #1 choice: McHale fav, low post supreme, can play 4 or 5 and - - would make trading of Asik for another valuable piece more doable.

And, yes, heavy minutes appear to weigh heavily on our Omer. But, I am pleasantly pleased with his first 3-dozen Rox games (if only he could dunk...).

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think staying quite this trade deadline is the right thing to do. Sure, if you can get a real star like Love you go for it - but since that won't happen, just do smaller things to get more assets and white for next off season.

We have the capspace to get every FA that wants to move. And I am pretty sure that Morey can get either Millsap or Smith if he wants them. Will that make us contenders? No. But it gives us more assets and more potential. If our young guys can continue to develope we have an outstanding core. With Harden easily a top 10 player, Asik a top 10 center, Lin a guy with lots of potential and Parsons a do it all guy we have most pieces in place.

Now Smith would greatly improve our defense just by making our paint unpenetrateable with Asik in there as well. Smith and Millsap would improve our rebounding and both have a better offensive game than our PFs as well. In a perfect storm we can win a title with that group - if not, we have several nice players that other teams might want.

16. thekad

thekad Member

I actually really like Josh Smith on this team on a reasonable contract, but in terms of actually contending against OKC and Miami, I don't think he's enough. For as great as he is defensively, the offensive hit from switching Morris (his range really) with Smith is worrying after watching last night how inept our team still is offensively sans Harden.

It feels like this team needs another true star.

17. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

If we acquired smith, Howard might look a little closer at H-town.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Smith
    Howard

Can we afford this?? Possibly a sign and trade for either guy??

18. CertifiedTroll

Why Howard, he is a lesser Terrence Jones.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pau Gasol to close out games at the 5.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It's POSSIBLE, but not very likely.

You'd need to dump some salary to open up enough room for Dwight. Then, you'd need to hope that Atlanta wants Omer Asik plus something else in a sign-and-trade for Smith. You'd probably have to trade away almost all of the young developmental players (D-Mo, White, Jones, Smith) to make the cap math work; and the free agents would maybe need to take a slight pay cut (although not necessarily). That all assumes that both Smith and Howard WANT to come to Houston.