1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Talk 790] Daryl Morey Interviews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 28, 2012.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the clutchfanner was me, yes my son hooped with daryl's back in the day

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

When Daryl said Lin definitely freelance it on defense which can drive folks crazy, is he talking about how Lin often goes off his man and to help?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey on Jeremy Lin (paraphrasing):

[rquoter]
    Health-wise he's getting near 100% although schedule has been intense. Jeremy has an overall "winning play" game. He can make passes that leads to very good buckets, he can attack the basket and that's probably his highest level skill relative to the rest of the league. Defensively, he's very disruptive. He reminds me a lot of Kyle (Lowry) on his disruptiveness overall. He freelances sometimes which can drive folks crazy occasionally, but a lot of those freelances result in rebounds, blocks, steals, things that really impact winning over the course of a game. Even if he can't contain off the dribble sometimes against some these elite guys like the Westbrooks of the world and other elite PGs, he stays in the play and makes sure even though they might beat him on the first step he'll make it uncomfortable for them thoughout as he chases them and pokes and harrasses at the ball. He just does a lot of good things throughout to help the team win the game. [/rquoter]

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't think that is what he meant by freelancing though, the entire team does this. So I am not quite sure as to what Morey is talking about in terms of free lancing....

5. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Yes, Lin has a tendency of leaving the 3pt line open to help inside...That drives me absolutely nuts

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Freelancing means you're playing off your man, but not within the "normal" defensive scheme. Like roaming around when you feel like there's no need to stay with your man or in the "normal" help position.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i took freelancing as playing the passing lanes, going for steals on someone who has beat your teamate, backdoor blocked shots (which he is good at) etc

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

This.

9. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

They shouldn't waste Morey's time with awful phone calls.

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I agree...

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I agree with you as well... He's still playing good D so no complaints from me.

12. Arthurprescott2

Not seeing that much of it lately. Both Harden and Lin were giving up open/barely contested 3's earlier in the season as they harassed the opposing big - maybe it's cause we haven't been playing against good 3 point shooting teams or haven't gone up against bigs that require doubling like that in a while, but I stopped noticing it (or noticed it much less) with McHale's return.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I love how morey doesn't a ****. Like the way he talked about lins defensive or how the warriors are overachieving or which assistant coach is the best baller.

14. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Gotta give Morey credit for upgrading from Daequan Cook with the taller, better defending wing James Anderson and the signing of Patrick Beverley who could be a nice second unit guard alongside TD. Man, we're deep now!

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The two things I kind of picked up from Morey's 790 podcast was that

- Morey said Denver is in an 'even better' situation than us in terms of making the playoffs ... he seems fairly confident about the Rocket's chances, and our strength of schedule does point to that

- Morey said GSW is doing extremely well, but didn't offer the same glowing words that he did for Denver. You can kind of understand why when you check GSW's schedule. Yes they just beat the LAC by 20, and also had beaten Miami by 2 and LAL in OT, but their schedule so far has been pretty soft. Up next for them, in order, LAC, Memphis, Portland, Denver, Miami, San Antonio, New Orleans (away, 2nd of back-to-back and 3rd in 4 games), LAC, Oklahoma, then away at Chicago and Milwaukee (2nd of back to back), then away back-to-back at Toronto/Cleveland ...

- If we can do well in Jan, don't be surprised we can catch up with GSW and perhaps even surpass them.

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I watched some of their games, and I think GSW is for real. People don't realize how good and how much potential they have in Ezeli and Draymond - secret why their defense is surprisingly good to fuel the offense and withstand the comeback. Biedrins and Landry contributed and added much needed toughness as well. Healthy Curry is playing close to the level of Harden right now. It's no longer a run and gun offense only team anymore.

17. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I am with you. David Lee is playing like an all star right now.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe width="658" height="371" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=22767798&osu=null&startButtonColor=0xffffff" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

http://www.sports790.com/cc-common/...elected_podcast=morey_bs_1357835685_16410.mp3

http://www.sports790.com/player/?st...rogram_id=FeaturedInterviews.xml&mid=22767798

Not the whole interview below but bits and pieces.

(What does New Orleans do that no one else seems to do in terms of slowing you down): New Orleans defensive intensity is really good. Coach Williams gets those guys to play hard. Their big issue is on the offensive end. We held them down on their first shots but I knew trouble was coming. Their shooting percentage was so low but they were winning all other aspects of the game--rebounding, turnovers, general hustle. We had back to back excuse but I was very concerned going into the 2nd half, and with the 9 point lead, I thought we might survive this thing. Obviously we won't win all our games. We have won 12 of 16 so we're obviously optimistic about how things are going right now but when we knew a loss was coming but I had hoped the loss would come to a team playing well. I thought they played very well defensively but overall, they didn't play their best and disappointing we didn't get the win.

(McHale mentioned too many turnovers and offensive rebounds. That's the game in a nutshell right?) Yeah, to give them credit on their effort level, which is always super high, but one example of that is if they can offensive rebound AND slow down our break, that's extremely hard to do and they were doing it. I also didn't think we would ever suffer a 10 point quarter. We were hitting shots, probably due for a letdown and unfortunately it came last night.

(Biggest concern towards the middle of the season and trade deadline? How do you view keeping this group together?) We've been healthy. That has allowed this group to jell. I think the trade deadline will be quieter for us this year than in the past. Maybe something minor. We like the young core and how they're playing together. We want to watch them grow together. We got about the 15 million in cap room in the off-season to upgrade the team so we don't necessarily have to do it by trade. Obviously it's my job to look for things if they're there but we'll probably be more stable than we've been in the past. We felt we couldn't be stable until we had an all-star to build around, now we feel like we have that. Less movement among the core group. We'd rather see this group of 23 year(-ish) old's grow together.

It sounds like you're telling the truth. Makes sense. But you don't expect us to fall for that do you? This is you, it's the trade deadline.

(laughing)That's just mean right there. I would say, the end of the roster we are always trying to optimize. We brought in Anderson and Beverely, who might help over time. We're trying to upgrade in small ways. At the trade deadline, we're probably looking at small moves if we do anything.

**Donatas is another guy who will probably get more time down with the Vipers in the next week here.

**The biggest focus for us is to add an all-star caliber guys or have one of our guys develop into that. That sounds familiar because we said that before we acquired James. We do need to add at least one more guy. We can't be picky on position. We have to be aggressive, regardless of position.

(Low post option, something you have to add?) I'd like to have it. I don't deal with have to haves. Basketball is too complex to deal with have to haves. I don't think that's a have to have. There been teams in the past who have won at a high level without a low post option. ... In an ideal world, you have a low post option and you generally in today's NBA, you want it at the five, frankly. Omer is improving as a low post option. I don't see him as ever being a strong one, maybe as a guy off the bench could be a low post option. If you have a low post option at the four, especially if we got Jeremy and James as two attack guards, your spacing gets hard with a 4 and a 5 on the block.

(OK time from your position that the teams around the league are what they are? What you see is what you get?) Yeah. Golden State, what Bogut will do for them. That's something to be seen. That will impact things. The Lakers figuring things out, if they only win half their games, which I think is what they're on pace for, they'll definitely be the most talented team to only win half their games. I think they'll get back in this thing. Unfortunately for us, we'll have to stay ahead of them. Otherwise, there will be more injuries to some key teams so how will they react. Love for Minnesota is a big blow to them. I thought they were almost a sure playoff team if healthy. Unfortunate for Coach Adelman, a rough go for him for quite awhile having a key injury, every year for the last five or so. I do feel bad for Coach Adelman.

(On CP3) I think he's under appreciated and I think it was silly there was a debate between him and Deron a few years ago.

(Buying into chatter that Memphis will break up the team?) I don't know. That's their own decision making.

(They haven't asked if you want Rudy Gay, have they?) Even if they had, I would keep all our trade talks to ourselves. I think the chatter is overplayed. They're a good team. You want to be careful breaking something up.

(When Dallas broke up the title team, did you think that was a good calculated risk?) Cuban is as good as there is. I think Mark took a calculated risk and still could play out. They have the cap room to add a significant player and potentially two. I don't know which was the better path. Not sure if we'll know until maybe this off-season and what happens. This year, thank goodness for the first time in a long time, right now we're ahead of Dallas and hopeful it will stay that way.

(Prediction for Texans/Patriots?) I like the Texans chances. I do. I'm probably naive. I don't even know what the line is. I like the Texans. Arian Foster is a weapon that could turn the game for the Texans and the D might make things uncomfortable for Brady and company.

What is the line?

9 and a half.

WOW. I guess my opinion doesn't sound very good.

#78 J.R., Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    3 people like this.
  19. arjun

arjun Member

hmm those links are not working for me...anyone else have that issue?

20. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Dang, we might not make a bif move this deadline. I was hoping for a new starter at the 4. Oh well.