1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Astros Blocked a Potential Deal That Would Have Brought Rockets Games to DirecTV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

After my experience with the Longhorn network I can assure you that customer complaints/requests have no impact on anything.

It will get done when the higher ups want it to get done.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I did that and received $80 a month off of my bill.

In that post I meant do I threaten to cancel if they don't get RID of CSN. I don't want the Crane's crap on my TV. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That wasn't meant to be in the story, but because it was in the statement from CSN, I ran it as it was. Reminder if you are EVER talking to a reporter to make sure and say "OFF THE RECORD" if you don't want it in there. I feel a little bad because I didn't mean for that to even be a topic of discussion, but it happens I suppose. Since Jim Crane apparently already told people on the radio it was happening, no serious harm done. Still, didn't mean to out anyone.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sorry. Misunderstood. This is a partnership between all three parties. No one is going anywhere. Don't know the terms of the deal other than the percentages of ownership.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, if it's in the statement, you're definitely in the right to run it. Very surprised they weren't savvy enough to make it an aside in a different part of the email ("OFF THE RECORD", as you said). Just putting it in brackets within the statement is fair game.

6. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Really and Truthfully you're right. From the Astros prospective; "This isn't Personal, its just business".

It benefits them to get the best possible deal, since they have own the bigger piece of the pie. Even if they do suck, they get wider TV coverage, so form their angle, they can't settle for what the Rockets want. It's why in a way, I'm not that mad with the Astros. The Rockets would have probably done the same thing, if the tables were turned.

But Les should have known this. I just can't imagine the Rockets and Astros not at least having an idea what the ballpark range, no pun intended, was going to be before agreeing on the channel.

I love all of Houston sports teams, they're my teams, I'm not going to hate on the Astros. The Astros have the bigger following, like it or not. When the Rangers sucked, they were the face of Texas for baseball. No one rooted for the Rangers in this state for a long period of time.

This is a Rox board, of course we hold the Rockets to a higher importance. But this just sucks for the fans.

1 person likes this.
  7. macho87

macho87 Member

Occupy Tal's Hill

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

I'm pretty sure a deal won't get done before the Astros season starts. With that in mind, CF should come up with some clever group protests/signs at Minute Maid to take a shot at the Astros while supporting the Rockets on their TV broadcasts. Also won't be expensive to do since tickets are dirt cheap these days anyways.

9. macho87

macho87 Member

Im down for an organized protest!

10. Pete the Cheat

might be the biggest crowd the juice box sees all year

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That is until Swoly's family attends a game.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

hardly, the rangers series will be sold out just like they were last year...

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I must say reading this thread has been hilarious. Sure the astros messed up (from what we can tell), but the reactions are still hilarious. Clutchfans at its finest

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Astros did not sell out any game last year.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If this were July...and Rockets season weren't until October...does anyone think for one second they wouldn't use the same advantage (if it were afforded them) to maximize their own dollars coming out of this media deal? Really?

These are businesses. I don't know what's real and what isn't here...but Les turning over all of the Rockets TV coverage to a deal that can simply be trumped by another business with its own interests is just flat out dumb. So dumb I have difficulty believing it entirely.

Jim Crane now for all respects and purposes CONTROLS the TV availability of the Houston Rockets? If true, how dumb is this entire deal for the Houston Rockets? Seriously? What monkey in a slick suit made that decision to give up that much control to another organization with its own potentially competing interests?

Just because a franchise owns more of a stake in a collaborative project doesn't mean that control of the project has to fall along those same lines. To give up this much control...to literally risk having an entire season go untelevised to 60% of a home market....without any agreed parameters of numbers that would automatically trigger a deal with the other local TV providers in the market....is just flat out dumb. Were they represented by counsel when they signed this deal? Did no one ever point out to them the possibility that the Houston Astros effectively could control their entire availability in the local market? Really?

I find this all very difficult to believe....these parties are way too sophisticated for something like this.

2 people like this.
  16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well, what kind of favors can you really expect from a racist, sexist, war profiteer? Jim Crane has a bit of a rep, and it's not one that might lead you to believe he's a generous negotiator.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Go MadMax and go 'Stros!

:)

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Opening day the attendence was 43,464. Second game versus the Rangers (Nolan Ryan bobblehead night) they had 42,673 at the game (sure most were rangers fans, but it still counts). The seating capacity is 40,950. Nice facts :)

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's not go 'Stros. I'm not happy with either one of them about this. If I miss baseball games because they still haven't figured this out, I'll be pissed at the Astros.

But I'm not blaming the Houston Astros for the Houston Rockets not being on TV. That's just dumb. It's the Rockets' responsibility to make sure the local market can see Rockets games...it's not the Astros' responsibility to make sure the local market can see Rockets games.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Astros only released tickets sold numbers and since my sister went to opening day I heard different. I heard there were plenty of sections available.