1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Astros Blocked a Potential Deal That Would Have Brought Rockets Games to DirecTV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jan 15, 2013.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

He suggested it while working for the Rockets, but it didn't happen until he was working for the Astros.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

don't want to get off topic...but yeah, Crane is off to a great start

Now, back to **** Jim Crane for this move

3. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Thank you Jeff on piece you wrote.

Although it could be therapeutic for us fans to vent out our frustrations with eat **** and die Crane kind of comments, lets try and come up with a course of action that we all can take to try and get the door for negotiations open. Strength in numbers! I signed the CSN petition awhile back, and I'll end up emailing the contact information that CH provided. If anyone have some feasible effective ideas, I'm all ears...

I'm assuming now that Texans season are over, there maybe an uptick in interest from casual rockets fans living under a rock wondering why they can't watch the Rockets.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

done with the Astros!

5. Blake

Sounds like the problem is not going to be solved until baseball season starts and will be impacted.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yeah, I wonder if there is any way to put pressure on Astros, or at least let them know of fans frustration with them, in an organized fashion to maximize impact.

7. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

How do you know that? The Rockets are locked into this contract with the Astros and NBC. The only way is if they buy themselves out or wait till it ends.

Does anyone know the specific terms of the deal?

8. Blake

I was insinuating that the Stros are not going to care until this impacts MLB season...which is near the end of regular nba season

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Someone else said it, but he only suggested it then. Nothing got done until recently mainly because the Astros were under a contract with another network until then. By the time the deal was done, he had joined the Astros.

Also, the Astros have a larger share because they broadcast more games on the network. Just simple math on that one.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just like any business negotiation, there is no way the terms of any deal would be announced or published until the deal was done.

1 person likes this.
  11. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Although its entirely feasible that maybe the case, I'm HOPING some sort of directed public movement may expedite the negotiation process. Something... Anything...

12. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Am talking about the existing deal with Comcast not Direct TV sir

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

They can wait, but as soon as the NBA season is over, it will be the Rockets blocking the deal. I reckon the way it's set up, Comcast basically will always block any deal because they only care about not getting a deal done, not they don't give half a rat's ass about the Astros, the Rockets, or the channel itself. However, they need at least one of the two teams to block a deal. Right now they have the Astros; when the NBA season is over they will have the Rockets.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What's also interesting is the Dynamo angle. That's a VERY passionate group of supporters that hopefully will put pressure on the Astros/providers in the very near future. (They haven't "officially" announced it yet, but I can't imagine it's very long after CSN released that statement to Jeff.)

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

**** the astros. they are holding out because the season hasn't started yet and they know no one will go to their games so they are trying to get everything they can.

I know a radio host that keeps trying to give me tickets to their games for free, and I keep telling him no they suck. Who cares about them?

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So, if the deal gets done AFTER the Rockets season, do I call Uverse and complain or threaten to leave until they get RID of CSN? This is getting confusing.

17. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Great the garbage Astros are ****ing it up for everyone.

18. Grigori

Grigori Member

Pretty much wouldn't even go if they gave out box seats for free.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, I've been to two games and they're insane. They'll probably riot and loot the CSN studios. Will be there to videotape.

20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I called Directv the other day and told them I will cancel in six months with 12 months left in my deal if they don't work it out. I advise you do the same. They know fans are waiting out their contacts for reasonable cancellation fees, and the Rockets might actually make the playoffs which means they will lose more customers.