1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Terrence Jones helping Rockets more than survive without Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I might be complete being homer in saying this but we have the best forward rotation in the league right now. It's no secret that Harden has been outstanding, but the difference from last year's team is the versatility and toughness that Jones, Brewer, Smith, and D-Mo have brought to the table. GS is close but I like our combo more than Green, Lee, Barnes and Speights.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

lol...people ready to proclaim Jones can't play defense again if LMA has a good game. Aldridge just might be the very best PF in the game. When good players get hot, there is just nothing you can do about it individually. This year, he has a 29 and 16 on OKC, 25 and 14 on Dallas, 37 and 11 on ATL, 38 and 11 on CLE, 32 and 9 on Mem, 37 and 12 on LAC with Blake Griffin playing, another 30 and 12 on ATL, 32 and 16 on SA, 27 and 12 on NO, 35 and 9 on CHI, 39 and 11 on Den, 26 and 13 on GS, etc. I could go on and on.

I guess all those teams need to crush their big men for not playing good enough defense. The point is LMA is kind of good.

1 person likes this.
  3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

and to think our Bench gets deeper and stronger when Howard comes back

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not surprised that the media is giving credit before he does without trying to find flaws

5. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

There's not a single pf in the league that can stop LMA, let's get that clear. His shot releases are too high to be concern about a block shot. Jones only chance, beside a poor shooting night, of containing LMA is his ability to make him work on the defensive ends. If TJones can't score, Aldridge will eat him up.

6. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

He can guard Aldridge now! :)

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Jones always had undeniable talent, likely even more potential to be a star than any of our young bigs. What I noticed this year is that he seems to be really engaged throughout a game, a quality that was lacking for the first 2 years.

It is beyond me that an intelligent individual like BBholic can have such a negative view of a player with that much potential who at a very young age is putting up eye popping numbers.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

While unorthodox, I am not really looking at whether Jones can guard LMA. The key is can they keep the other bigs off the boards.

Dwight is guarding LMA. If he isn't, Smith will. What was the fatal blow for Jones was the inability to keep Lopez off the boards. That is the key thing to watch for this game.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We know he is black.

10. basketballholic

It is beyond me that an intelligent individual like yourself could read the mounds of writing I've done about Terrence and come out of that with the idea that I have a negative view of a player with that much potential who at a very young age is putting up eye popping numbers.

Seriously?

Just because I don't think he's superstar or star material yet? Just because I haven't seen anything that indicates he's more than just a really good role player right now?

Just because I kept rationalizing with people last year that I thought he would significantly underperform in the playoffs (which he did)?

Just because I keep telling you that he is going to still struggle against the bigger/longer front line tandems that dominate the playoff seeds in the Western Conference?

Seriously?

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He can't really post up nor has the additional size and insane athleticism of Dwight. The game isn't a post up player's game anymore except if you're a respected veteran like Tim Duncan. I don't know if he can become anything unless he gains a bit more speed on the initial moves. The league screws over any type of new bump and grind post player in this league and only guys with quick go to moves like Anthony Davis can really be a star.

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

TJ vs LMA. Cant wait to see TJ gets his tonight and a dub!! Go Rockets!

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And BBHollic finally jumps in...... Here we go again....

[​IMG]

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

LMFBO LMFBO :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Asking a 6'9 Jones to guard a legit 7-foot Aldridge was stupid. He easily shot right over him.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets have "amorphous lineup flexibility!"

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Quote for the win when discussing with jpatmac (and I'm conservative).

bbhollic, you have been clearly wrong about this topic, and you have kept backtracking. Let's not forget that you were on the Casspi bandwagon originally. Not only that, you have kinda been a d**k about it this whole time. It pisses people off, and especially since you spam the whole board all the time. Once again, your recent post above wreaks of a cocky and hubris attitude that gets on the nerve of everybody here. "How dare I be wrong??? I was right this whole time, and you are stupid for even thinking so." That is basically what you said. No, you do not have a superior basketball mind. You need a reality check. Below is an article you should read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gretchen-rubin/twelve-tips-to-avoid-seem_b_77587.html

Personally, I have been defending the living daylights out of Dwight. If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it. I have said he is and will be the best C in the league. The difference here, is that I am neither an ***hole about it, and am also willing to admit I am wrong. I'm sorry mods for the language, neg me if you will, but it needs to be said.

Doesn't sound like that is an opinion of a really good role player.

Again, implying they shouldn't see the floor.

Once again, implying they shouldn't see the floor.

Once again, implying they shouldn't see the floor.

Once again, defending you mancrush Casspi instead of Jones.

You are ridiculous if you think that McHale won't play people just for their "trade value". Once again, nothing to imply a really good role player.

Not only are you completely wrong, you are a ***hole.

We will see. And we see you are wrong about both Dmo and Jones. Stop backtracking.

Once again, implying he shouldn't play.

Being an ***hole again, and also quoting statistics that just weren't even there.

So, once again, you are bashing them, yet now you had always thought they were "good role players"?

Funny, Jones played some pretty good D on Lebron recently. And Jones is a good PnR defender. That has never been his weakness. Incorrect again.

Once again, implying they are scrubs.

Completely ignoring Jones' best trait of dribbling abilities. How convenient.

Not impressed, no clue, bad rebounder, etc.

Once again, being an ***hole. Good luck "wid dat". And no, you wanted Casspi to start.

And no, you can't put up a 14/8. Just saying.

Crystal clear that you called Jones garbage in and garbage out for only being able to play well against a garbe team in the Jazz.

Hypocrisy at its finest. But I shouldn't be surprised from somebody who sends hate rep. I think you need a break from posting again. Sorry for derailing a previously good thread.

Edit: I completely forgot about the "insider" abomination. Well, I don't think I need to say much about that one.

#37 jbasket, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    4 people like this.
  18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Horse pucky.

You said repeatedly, even as he was proving himself again to be a special player, even during his multiple double double starts that there was an even chance he wouldn't even be in the NBA in a handful of years and you said he was no more special than any of 200 or 250 role players. Even when I told you how much Morey values him you turned that into a claim that my friend is gaming ME, a theatre director of all things, to up his trade value. Hahaha.

Keep digging.

19. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

damnnn what a dagger.

20. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

...dang. /thread

The danger with spreading unwarranted negativity, regardless of it being your opinion, is that people who don't monitor the games and make opinions for themselves begin to develop a perception that sticks and they continue spreading it. Its in the best interest of the board to hear your constructive criticism of a player whether it be positive or negative but keep the bias hate to yourself.