1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want on the floor defending opposing power forwards down stretch in crunch time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Mar 11, 2014.

?

Who do you want on the floor defending opposing power forwards down stretch in crunch time?

1. Jones

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. DMo

27 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Asik

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  4. Parsons

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Harden

42 vote(s)
    33.6%
  1. joesr

joesr Member

Harden unless the PF has a good mid range shot, then Dmo.

2. dmoneybangbang

Verses the Clippers we may want to pair Asik and Howard up quite a few times through the game.

3. dmoneybangbang

Otherwise, McHale may use hockey strategy and just throw Jones, Dmo, Parsons, Casspi, and Garcia. Hopefully we'll see more Parsons at the 4, but a front court of Parsons, Howard, and Asik is a lot of length against the Clippers (who scare me the most in the west).

4. The Jabberwock

Your poll is missing Casspi.

Check out videos & game logs against top PFs like ZBo, Griffin, LMA and Dirk and pay attention to the timespans when Omri is guarding them - You will be surprised.

If you even included Harden & Garcia (SGs) - Casspi should have certainly been on your list.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Unless Jones or DMO received an overnight epiphany and suddenly develop into dependable PFs (thus drawing weak side defenders from the paint like Griffin, Ibaka, etc..), I believe McHale will go back to small ball in the playoffs.

To that end, I would alternate Harden, Parsons, and Hamilton to the play the PF position. While they may not have the size, they have the speed to stay with Griffin. More importantly, all those guys have respectable outside shooters, to the extent that the opposing PFs would need to come out and defend the perimeter, thus unclogging the paint for Howard.

Jones and DMO will see a lot of pine during the playoffs.

If you want to increase variance against teams that we have a tough time against (0-6 against the Clippers and OKC), McHale has to try the above.

6. basketballholic

I did not put Casspi in the poll because he is out of the rotation presently. However you do make a legit point that I happen to agree with. I think the only adjustment Casspi needs to make is to cull his shot selection down about 20% by not taking any rushed shots. I am a firm believer at this point that we either have to spread the floor around Dwight and Asik at the 5 spot or if we are going to play smash mouth basketball we've got to get the Twin Towers out there alongside Lin, Beverley, and Harden for 10 to 15 minutes a game before going back to small ball.

I think the whole Jones/DMo minutes thing has run its course. If we are going to win a ring we're going to have to cover the 4 spot with shooters and Omer. I would not be surprised at all if Casspi is re-injected back into the rotation at the 4 spot and takes minutes from Jones and DMo.

7. basketballholic

It appears that around 90% of us do not value Jones' crunch time defense. Apparently McHale didn't value his crunch time play at all last night.

Just say'n.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

I would go small ball, let there PF get shots, elite PF will get there shots either way so we will need more offense. whoever is guarding the PF needs to be physical try to deny ball and just talk them out there game. Let them know yeah we going small but I'm not backing down F-u

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dmo played 8 mins and got one shot, he needs to be playing more.

DD

10. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Asik

Jones and DMo are god awful,especially Jones and both of them eat space

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Basketcaseahollic at it again. You really need to seek help dude. This is the definition of OBSESSED.

The funny thing is, Jones and D-Mo didn't even really play bad against OKC... they just simply DIDN'T PLAY because the star players weren't playing well with them on the court, its not that D-Mo and Jones were necessarily playing bad.

OKC is a match-up nightmare for EVERY TEAM IN THE F-ING LEAGUE. The Rockets are not immune to this.

However unlike alot of teams, McHale employs very effective small ball which is a way to to combat a team like OKC that is packing the paint and running off shooters from 3.

Jones and D-Mo will be fine against other teams, and will eventually be taught how to do things that can combat the freakish teams that can actually defend the Rockets the way OKC did last, and previously before. Small ball is only a temporary solution.... eventually Jones and D-Mo can be the solution if they keep on improving.

12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Next year: Melo

Because the best defense, is a good offense. Let the other team start a thread like this.

:)

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You know, this is something McHale is definitely trying to figure out. He's using different combinations and seeing what works and what doesn't. Sometimes though, there just isn't a good option if the opposing player is more talented.

14. Nook

Nook Member

There is no single right answer.

Having said that...... most of the time go small....

We will lose the PF battle defensively, so lets make them pay the cost on the other end of the floor..... allows us to run before the defense is set.

Hamilton, Parsons, Harden all should get minutes.... increase the minutes for Lin at the 2..... have Beverley on the floor 40 minutes......

15. basketballholic

So the conclusion is over 90% of us don't want to see Jones out there defensively in crunch time. Wow. That's about 20% more than what I thought it would be.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Sigh. Howard is not defending anyone out of the paint. Asik either. The TT experience has shown us fans that power forwards with range just eat up Howard/Asik.

D-Mo on big or mobile power forwards. His defensive rotations are very good. He also cannot be moved in the low post by anyone short of Hibbert.

Jones on any athletically mismatched power forward. Jones feasts on those less imposing players.