1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Rockets ownership has debated Morey’s employment status and whether to replace him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I am. and I talk to you about morals. Just because you feel the need to justify moral corruption to feel better about yourself it doesn't mean everyone has made the same choices compromises their principles.

xtruroyaltyx, Gray_Jay and Rashmon like this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

Morey morally did the right thing and I salute him

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Do people in China understand that an American GM might tweet something his owner doesn’t agree with?

Serious question. In a Chinese company, would this even happen? I wonder how much of the cleanup here is explaining the culture of “Tweets do not represent my employer.”

4. Rocket_Man_2.0

Silver will order Tilman to fire Morey!

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think this thread is indictive of Chinese fans interest in the Rockets right now. No player with a Chinese background on the roster and it's crickets. Otherwise all the Red Guards would be flooding this thread.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if those of us that are season ticket holders should email our ticket reps and demand our money back if Morey is fired if TF bows to the Chinese?

I don't want to stop being a Rockets fan, that's really difficult, but I guess I could stop spending on the Rockets.

This sucks. **** the Chinese government and their sensitive BS.

#86 ElPigto, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  7. dischead

dischead Member

Morey never won us anything anyway.. Might be a good thing

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I mean, this type of stuff happens in the US, difference being employee tweets are racist or document illegal actions. Companies then fire said employee and escape negative PR / receive positive PR for supporting social justice.

The difference here is that Morey isn't the one on the wrong side of social justice and Tillman is in a lose-lose situation.

malakas likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Best post in all these threads. Thank you.

jcf likes this.
  10. Rocket_Man_2.0

Adam Silver already hates the Rockets and Morey...What do you think is gonna happen?! Morey's gone!!

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You can do the right thing and not also harm your employer.

Morey should have been smarter. Now he’s going to be gone.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Silver works FOR Tillman (Silver works for the 30 team owners). He cannot order anything without team owner approval.

13. AXG

AXG Member

If China bans the Rockets, then how are they going to show us win the NBA championship?

B-Bob likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's what I'm thinking. Tilman may be pissed at Morey for costing him revenue, but I also think he knows how important his GM is to this organization.

But I suspect Silver will force Tilman's hand and demand Morey be let go. At the end of the day, money talks.

The question then becomes what is the reaction from NBA players, coaches, management, fans, and writers.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  15. tuoxieman

tuoxieman Member

Lots of people actually don't get why Chinese fans were furious regarding what Morey says, and to most western people this seems normal, so they are considered as brainwashed.

No it's not that simple.
    #1, the protest is not for pro-democracy. It's for extradition bills that if someone commit crimes outside HK, they can still be extradited, which happens to most countries. The incident comes from a HK guy killed someone in Taiwan, escaped back to HK, and then there is no law for him to be judged.
    #2, the extradition bills have been suspended already, but the protest is still going and turns to be riot and violence. Those riots attack police, burn public services such as subways.Now some riots are asking for independence, which to be fair is not what most HK people want.
    #3, Most western people don't quite understand that, separatism to China is like racism to US. Every culture/country has their own bottomlines, Morey happens to cross it which I believe he wasn't aware of it gonna be such a big trouble.

Morey for sure is entitled to express his stance. However, when you come to a country to make money from them, you'd better get some basic idea of their culture and bottomlines. You either take the money and don't unnecessarily offend them, regardless how moral you think it is; or you come back with pride, and don't blame them for stopping work with you. You have to choose one of those two, it's too condescending to go to their land, earn profit from those people, and criticizing them for totally unrelated stuff.

duluth111222, jcf, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  16. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

....you callin' The Wolf? ??

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I stand with Morey. Will stop becoming a Rockets fan completely if they fire him.

malakas likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bottom 5 post on this website’s history

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Of course they know it doesn't represent the owner or the organization. It's done to pressure the owner into holding Morey accountable.

D-rock likes this.